The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

I notice the media is now speculating that Hamilton will not move to Ferrari.

The whole saga has been laughable. Anyone in any sport who has won the last 3 championships will seek out the best equipment to win it again, so of course he will speak to any team with the potential to make the best car before deciding.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I notice the media is now speculating that Hamilton will not move to Ferrari.

The whole saga has been laughable. Anyone in any sport who has won the last 3 championships will seek out the best equipment to win it again, so of course he will speak to any team with the potential to make the best car before deciding.

And any team boss in the sport will want to be cosy with Hamilton, just in case he decides to look their way. 

EDIT - I note Alonso and McLaren have parted company. As they say in Spain - Hacienda that! 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

EDIT - I note Alonso and McLaren have parted company. As they say in Spain - Hacienda that! 

I wonder how that affects his Indy 500 attempt, or is it because of this, he's found funding with somebody who doesn't want Maclaren involved?

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Longer C4 coverage is really good to hear. Hopefully when the sky deal finally finishes we'll get some all live free to air coverage again.

Unlikely I fear. The new owners of the sport paid a pretty penny for it so will want to recoup that ASAP.

I forsee much the same as currently, with perhaps BT or Amazon replacing Sky and a free to view channel piggybacking the cost in return for highlights.

C6T. 

• Agree 3

21 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Longer C4 coverage is really good to hear. Hopefully when the sky deal finally finishes we'll get some all live free to air coverage again.

Very little chance of that.

Sky didn't snatch it from BBC in the first place. BBC dropped it along with other sports (their test match cricket coverage was really good but this initially went to C4 before ending up with Sky). The Beeb insisted on paying a fortune for Wimbledon though.

Sky then picked up F1, certainly at a higher price than BBC. C4 opted for a cheaper package but they seem unwilling to maintain this, which is why the amount of live races is reducing.

Having seen the coverage on Sky & how much they put into it, I would be surprised if they dropped it. F1 will always look for the highest bidder. If they didn't then full F1 coverage may still be on free to air TV now.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 14/01/2020 at 16:35, Andrew P said:

Ooh nice, I love a good 2 stroke! My guess would be direct injection, stratified charge engines with turbos. I saw a very hi-tech prototype of this type about ~20 years ago, but the developers had no interest from any manufacturers due to them being stuck in the loop scavenged mentality.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I see Daddy Stroll is showing keen interest in Aston Martin, which is once again not in sound financial health. Should he step in to buy it, Smug Horner will lose a prestige sponsor from the Red Bulls. 

And will he POACH Adrian Newey?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

And will he POACH Adrian Newey?

Newey has nothing to prove, does not need a bigger salary. He has had a great time with RB, and the slip from the former glory days only happened due to Mercedes designing a killer power plant. RB are clearly again on the up in a way Racing Point are not, so Newey will stay put, I imagine. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I see Daddy Stroll is showing keen interest in Aston Martin, which is once again not in sound financial health. Should he step in to buy it, Smug Horner will lose a prestige sponsor from the Red Bulls. 

Afternoon,

Not just Aston Martin but linked to a possible buy out of Mercedes F1 with Toto

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/01/20/stroll-and-wolff-to-buy-mercedes-f1-team/

Pj10

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

RB are clearly again on the up in a way Racing Point are not, so Newey will stay put, I imagine. 

And I’m sure RB will have no problem getting another sponsor as a result, Aston Martin probably needed RB more in publicity terms and the branding was still secondary to the RB colours. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PJ10 said:

Not just Aston Martin but linked to a possible buy out of Mercedes F1 with Toto

Would seem odd to buy out a team with such a strong financial backing unless Mercedes are already thinking of stepping back. Toto must have virtually free reign within the budget with his record so there must be a lot more to this. When everyone else is trying to get into bed with manufacturers on engines it seems strange to put that supply down to contracts rather than certainty. 

• Agree 2

I don't think anything will help change the Paul Ricard Circuit. It is absolutly featureless and seems to be a track painted onto a car park. I suppose the lack of any decent vantage points for the cameras don't help.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Ricard is a creepy place to those accustomed to more conventional circuits. Deb was there taking snaps for a website on a Test Day in 2006 and 2007, I think. These were for LM Series sports cars, so seriously quick. Hardly a marshall in sight, with CCTV monitoring events around the circuit. One car caught fire, and burnt out. The photographers were advised that if any pics of that event were published, the photographer would not be invited back.

• Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, Bill Radford said:

I don't think anything will help change the Paul Ricard Circuit. It is absolutely featureless and seems to be a track painted onto a car park. I suppose the lack of any decent vantage points for the cameras don't help.

We all want to see cars driven to the limit & I believe those who can't keep their car on the track drive beyond the limit need some form of punishment. Having a team of stewards to decide on every track limit infringement seems very unpopular, partly because of the contradictory nature of "enforce track limits / let them race" Barriers & gravel traps cause safety car deployment, also putting a car out of the race which is not ideal.

Paul Ricard's coloured run off areas slow cars down, punishing those who leave the track without requiring any sort of steward's intervention while allowing the drivers to remain in control of their car & therefore able to re-join the race with a loss of time.

Unfortunately this is achieved by huge areas which look rather bland. The coloured areas also allow a far easier way to make track changes than digging up land to lay new tarmac. I therefore like their principle, but they look horrible.

• Like 3