The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1, 2020

Andrew P

19 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Merc are hardly sandbagging so far...

The signals Merc are giving off is that what they really needed to know is how the car performs at the 'difficult' corners of the envelope. We can go faster than you on harder compounds. And the moving steering rack gizmo is good for this season. This car could be an absolute monster, as the finale of this regulation set.

And our dear Lewis is as sunny in disposition as I can ever recall.

Hope Lando Norris gets a fair crack of the whip today, as the McLaren looks halfway decent at this stage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The lack of driver movement this season means some meaningful comparisons to quali times from last year can be drawn - Williams, Renault and Alfa already going markedly quicker than they achieved in quali last year in Barcelona. I predict some incredibly fast laps this year.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, njee20 said:

The lack of driver movement this season means some meaningful comparisons to quali times from last year can be drawn - Williams, Renault and Alfa already going markedly quicker than they achieved in quali last year in Barcelona. I predict some incredibly fast laps this year.

Every year proves that these test times are actually meaningless. Cars running on low fuel, ultra soft tyres etc .

When it actually comes to racing, see what happens on race days.

Edited by micklner
  • Agree 4

19 minutes ago, micklner said:

Every year proves that these test times are actually meaningless. Cars running on low fuel, ultra soft tyres etc .

When it actually comes to racing see what happens on race days.

And, every circuit will suit different Drivers and Cars, and also the weather will as always have some bearings on each Race Day.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, ianwales said:

Why not ban it now and peg whinger Hamilton back a bit.

Because evidently when Merc came up with the idea they discussed it with the FIA Technical Delegate and he said it met the 2020 Regs. So it's legal for the 2020 season. 

9 other teams didn't think of it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ianwales said:

Why not ban it now and peg whinger Hamilton back a bit.

Whinger Hamilton? The winner of 6 world championships. The man who rarely complains, but when he does so, often apologises afterwards. The man who said he did not want to win in certain ways.  The man who has led on safety issues even when that may have dis-benefited his team.  I know he can be a little bit of a plonker off the track, but each to their own. What does he have to do to satisfy you? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

5 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if Merc or someone else will come up with a way round the ban?

As intimated, an auto version of the system, if it gives significant benefit, should not be beyond the design skills of the super bods that work out this stuff. Perhaps speed or G-force related. The 2021 Regs simply prevent its adoption by (manual?) variation of the stirring wheel.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I wonder if Merc or someone else will come up with a way round the ban?

If it proves a killer innovation in 2020 then it will be subject to lots of thinking everywhere. I fear based on Week 1 testing we will have difficulty deciding which component of the Merc is making the difference

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

As intimated, an auto version of the system, if it gives significant benefit, should not be beyond the design skills of the super bods that work out this stuff. Perhaps speed or G-force related. The 2021 Regs simply prevent its adoption by (manual?) variation of the stirring wheel.

1 minute ago, Oldddudders said:

If it proves a killer innovation in 2020 then it will be subject to lots of thinking everywhere. I fear based on Week 1 testing we will have difficulty deciding which component of the Merc is making the difference

I would have thought a simple cam mechanism attached to the steering column would perform the same function as pulling the steering wheel back and forth. For that matter though wouldn't the efectiveness of the system be affected by tyre wear?

24 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Whinger Hamilton? The winner of 6 world championships. The man who rarely complains, What does he have to do to satisfy you? 

Hi Mike

I won't go into it on a public forum, but, he is not a very nice individual to some of us in the F1 marshalling fraternity.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

No-one who gets to the top of a cut-throat sport like motor racing is, that's the nature of the beast, even the "nice" ones of old (Clark, Moss, etc.) had their ruthless streak.... But to pick him out as a whinger and no-one else was wrong, Ian, I could name many others currently racing whom I'd describe as a whinger (One of the Ferrari drivers must take the cup for that!) but he isn't the worst of today's drivers by any stretch of the imagination.

No-one like the person in authority telling them something they'd rather not want to do, a Marshall's job has a lot in common with my job in that respect and so we can sometimes form views of people that are very different to those held by people who see them in different circumstances... Perhaps he was trying to make up for what he'd done in this?!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

14 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

For that matter though wouldn't the effectiveness of the system be affected by tyre wear?

Too much the same extent that all of the steering, suspension and ride height/aerodynamic effect are influenced by tyre wear on all of the cars. This system - if effective as claimed - should act to reduce front tyre wear by allowing driver optimisation for straight line and cornering conditions, so if the engineers have got it right, less net effect on the car from front tyre wear at any given distance. It's a 'nibble' in my opinion, a little more tyre life in the desired condition, a little less mechanical drag on the straight: which over race distance can be traded for aspects such as slightly less fuel required, more flexibility in the pit window, a little more straight line speed.

Another small advantage, which over the year increases the probability of front of grid starts and podium finishes. (Merc's biggie which we'll only fully hear about when the tech is obsolete is the fuel efficiency. I reckon the Merc's have been starting with significantly less fuel on board than any of the competition over these past seven years. The competition have been closing that gap, we don't see quite so much of the Merc's scampering off into the distance now. But even if it is now leaving the line with your car at - let's say - lap 3 weight compared to the rest of the field, it's a continuous advantage.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

58 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Is it a technology that could filter through to road cars for improved comfort, handling and tyre wear?

The thinking behind the technology, but not in the form implemented on the Merc.. When we have fully developed autonomous vehicles I would expect independent all wheel steering, mainly for the reduction in drag and wear, by continuous optimisation to the required route.

Occupant comfort will be taken care of by 'Motosoma' dispensed through the climate control system to ensure a tranquil journey. (Huxley's 'Brave New World' is much more alarming than the better known 1984.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Is it a technology that could filter through to road cars for improved comfort, handling and tyre wear?

I hope so, one day. It is hard enough to know when one is being chiselled for "tracking" when a tyre change is due. It clearly makes a difference, apparently. But on a FIAT Doblo??? My days of hard cornering and massive acceleration on the straights, are way behind me.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3