New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

Thank you for the advice about figures for the 'Rocket'.  The roofs of the 1982 Hornby 'Rocket' coaches just lift off but there are no seats inside.  The photograph shows a comparison between the 1982 'Times' coach and the new one. I presume that the new coach is to the correct dimensions so I wonder if any reviewers of the original 'Rocket' set noticed that the coaches were too large and the wrong colour. Sorry about the - before so. I pressed the space key but a hyphen appeared and I cannot remove it.

This morning at 07:00 on channel 5 Stephen the 'Rocket' engine was taking people for a tour round the castle in open light blue coaches in Thomas the Tank Engine. Later the 'Rocket' hauled some five plank goods wagons. It was a good model with a yellow barrel in the tender but it had buffers, a face and a headlamp.

P1090713.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

as they have obviously now plummeted in value.

Is that so obvious? The Triang set is surely something of a classic and collectible in its own right. If I had one, I would treasure it, regardless of the new set. I would have thought they would retain their value. 

• Agree 7

That difference in size is quite amazing. I'd like to think Hornby measured the real coaches and have made accurate scale models of them - presumably Tri-ang either guessed or made them look reasonably correct when running behind their slightly larger Rocket.

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Is that so obvious? The Triang set is surely something of a classic and collectible in its own right. If I had one, I would treasure it, regardless of the new set. I would have thought they would retain their value. 

Okay - the 1980s release in its now strange orange shade, pretty sure they have matured in colour over the last c.37 years.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

This photo, from the Bricket Wood Station Heritage Trust, emphasises the low height of the replica first class carriages. The photo is said to date from 1937, when Lion and what looks likely to have been the full set of 1930 replica carriages - three firsts and three seconds - were being used for filming.

Hi, 

We have the one in Stock and have received an email the second rocket is 27/28 Feb 2020, so I will receive my two rockets together as I said hold back till the one back till both are in stock and send them out together R3809 & R3810 so hopefully after this weekend I should be getting both...

Not my Era but I just had to out of all the Hornby 2020 range, the Rocket was was a must have, just hope it's not as disappointing as some say.. We will see hey...

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The coaches were available separately, plenty of them still kicking around.

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Okay so what can be cut/shunted up from the Triang Rocket coaches as they have obviously now plummeted in value.

Obvious to whom? Triang items are collected in their own right so whilst prices may soften I doubt these will now be significantly cheaper. There are none on ebay right now but sales in the past month have been consistent with price levels over some time - unboxed they go for around £12-£20 each - mint boxed always commands a premium from collectors.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 25/02/2020 at 09:23, GeoffBird said:

Nice that Hornby are supplying a suitably dressed Driver and fireman.  Where can one obtain similarly dressed passengers and bystanders?

Bizarrely, the forthcoming 'steam punk' figures by Hornby, under the Basset-Lowke brand, will not look totally out of place.

jh

2 hours ago, aaron3820 said:

Just received an email from Hattons saying the order for my Rocket has been processed and my card charged. Going off previous delivery times I may have it by next Friday. 

Exciting times!

Lucky you. I got this:

Good afternoon,

We have received less stock than expected for Hornby's new Stephenson's Rocket Train Pack (R3809). This means that we are oversold on this product and regrettably have had to cancel your order. We are unable to source any further stock at the moment, due to the model being sold out with the supplier. 

We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment this may cause. 

Your order has been cancelled so no payment will be taken and there is nothing required from your end. This will not affect any other orders or outstanding pre-orders you currently have with us.

Kind regards,

Hattons Model Railways 

Emotiveless summary:

Order was placed in early January with Hattons - could have been Kernow, Derails, Rails of Sheffield but went with Hattons, who I've used for many years. Order was confirmed and accepted.

At the nub of it is - and this is in writing from Hattons and verbally from Hornby Customer Services:

Hattons - we didn't get what we were supposed to. Hornby - yes you did.

So the dispute is over the amount that it was confirmed to Hattons they would receive. At least, on the face of it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, WisTramwayMan said:

So the dispute is over the amount that it was confirmed to Hattons they would receive. At least, on the face of it.

I have moved your previous posts here so Hatton's can respond - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/152047-hornby-rocket-pre-order-from-hattons/

Rein in the barbed attitude please with 'shafted' and 'twisted'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

When the Peckett first appeared our three local shops ended up swapping stock around to fulfill their orders as they got mostly one type each rather than as their orders, that’s from the shop owner. Full marks to the little shops though and to holding back stock hidden at one that had spare stock for the regulars as the prices went daft on eBay. 
Unfortunately it’s the eBay prospectors who’ve really caused the problem buying stuff they don’t want for quick profits. 

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

When the Peckett first appeared our three local shops ended up swapping stock around to fulfill their orders as they got mostly one type each rather than as their orders, that’s from the shop owner. Full marks to the little shops though and to holding back stock hidden at one that had spare stock for the regulars as the prices went daft on eBay. 
Unfortunately it’s the eBay prospectors who’ve really caused the problem buying stuff they don’t want for quick profits. 

Interesting, considering previous correspondence.....

7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Rather a shame shops are also doing it . . . 
C2F1582F-8507-4F69-A10C-CEB7C5DCAF90.jpeg.3dd7239b99f7d3463fc615666ca58b4c.jpeg

Maybe the good folk at Hornby will consider another run as per the Coronation Pacific Sir William Stanier and West Country Exeter sell out a few years back.

I'd be extremely surprised given the popularity of the Rocket that they'll leave it as a one off.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Omission
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Rather a shame shops are also doing it . . . 
C2F1582F-8507-4F69-A10C-CEB7C5DCAF90.jpeg.3dd7239b99f7d3463fc615666ca58b4c.jpeg

All got to try and make living.

This just so happens to be the one product a year that seems to go mental prices, only doing what 99% of rest of RMWEB would do.

We've already had phone calls abusing staff about this & the price, seems a shame really the lengths people are going to.

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Maybe the good folk at Hornby will consider another run as per the Coronation Pacific Sir William Stanier and West Country Exeter sell out a few years back.

I'd be extremely surprised given the popularity of the Rocket that they'll leave it as a one off.

That might, at least be some compensation for those who might find they have missed out.

Julian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Given that R3809 is a limited edition, a re-release would be a breach of trust.

A re-release of the standard pack may indeed however be on the cards.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Given that R3809 is a limited edition, a re-release would be a breach of trust.

A re-release of the standard pack may indeed however be on the cards.

Thats easy to get around... 60008 was the most expensive limited edition by far at £600+ in the 1990’s... but its been done many times since.

4771 was an early Bachmann limited edition, but changing the overhead warning flashes they made it a standard release....

Rocket limited edition is easy.. change the carriage names.

• Like 2