New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

2 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

The plug on  a 6 pin on a cable should be no bigger than the blanking plug and that then gives the top half of the barrel at least for the cable and the decoder  as Hornby clearly demonstrate nine tenths of the way down this page

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/Hornby-2020-stephensons-rocket

I've managed to fit a Hornby R7150 6 pin decoder in mine, and its a tight fit. The wires coming off the decoder and socket are sharply bent round, so take care they don't become detached. I had wanted to fit a Zimo decoder, and even the smallest 616F / 617F would be a challenge due to the length of the cable - reducing the length of the cables would involve some precision soldering, and probably ought to be hosted in the DCC installation section of the forum.

However, the loco runs very well with the Hornby decoder, I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing I with it supported is CV2 start voltage.

Credit where credits due to Hornby with this pack. 

Ouple of quick shots just put of the box, a word of warning about the loco-tender wires, they are very fine and probably very fragile. There's a real sense of quality and finesse looking all over it and the coaches. 

IMG_20200220_193843.jpg.5932591223b1d38c64066a088fcc8735.jpgIMG_20200220_194121.jpg.3c644041265b939b43e8aa40fa6fe3b3.jpg

IMG_20200220_194206.jpg.eb6ac4fa826b1ba53372b39871602830.jpgIMG_20200220_194516.jpg.07e99827d7e3e5dbe20882ba50e1ecf7.jpg

Edited by Pre Grouping fan
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Butler Henderson said:

Wiper pick ups then and note one of those to the trailing wheel set is not bearing on the wheel. How much of the model is metal?

Yes I noticed that after taking the picture but the only one. Interesting the tender pickups bear on a split axle rather than the wheels. 

As far as I can tell the majority of the loco is metal. 

Most of the small detailing, footplate controls, part of the firebox, cylinders also the vertical piece next to the all metal chimney is plastic. The tender is all plastic I think except the wheels

Coaches are all plastic apart from wheels and the detailing parts on the roofs. 

2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Are the coach buffers sprung?

Is the piston as long as it looks - sprung in the centre?

Al.

No the buffers are solid, the shank, head and footstep are one moulding. 

Assuming the piston is what runs beind the buffers, through the chassis/solebars. It's a solid moulding as part of the chassis. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Amand said:

I've managed to fit a Hornby R7150 6 pin decoder in mine, and its a tight fit. The wires coming off the decoder and socket are sharply bent round, so take care they don't become detached. I had wanted to fit a Zimo decoder, and even the smallest 616F / 617F would be a challenge due to the length of the cable - reducing the length of the cables would involve some precision soldering, and probably ought to be hosted in the DCC installation section of the forum.

That's unfortunate. The ESU cabled 6 pins also look like they will not fit as even if the cable is short enough the plug looks to be far too big.

12 minutes ago, aaron3820 said:

Is it just me or does it look like there are two screws missing from Pre Grouping Fan’s model?

Looks odd, but there doesn't seem to be a hole below the holes for a screw to go into.  However, especially with the bottom one, the "unscrewed" end looks like a sort of retaining lug, you can see something similar in the upper one, but its not engaged.

Curious!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think what might work with the decoder is a small piggyback M-F connector

One of these:

https://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mc-hrt1-s06-g/connector-header-6pos-1row-1-27mm/dp/2852597

Plus one of these:

https://uk.farnell.com/gct-global-connector-technology/bd080-06-a-0230-l-d/connector-rcpt-6pos-1row-1-27mm/dp/2751427

Soldered together so that they face the same direction then the decoder would sit above the socket.

The pin spacing is 1.27mm (0.05") which is correct for 6 pin NEM651 decoders.

A Lenz Silver Mini + with pins is 13mm x 7.5mm* x 2.6mm.

*the same width as those connectors

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Looks odd, but there doesn't seem to be a hole below the holes for a screw to go into.  However, especially with the bottom one, the "unscrewed" end looks like a sort of retaining lug, you can see something similar in the upper one, but its not engaged.

Curious!

The arc of the curve is larger on one than the other, hence it is out of position.

It needs squeezing together a bit.

22 hours ago, KymN said:

I am puzzled that some people have their Centenary Packs and are posting pics, some dealers are suggesting that they are imminent and my dealer is deathly silent on the subject.  

Less than a day later and things are moving. My order history for R3809 has moved from 'Allocated' to 'Order Pending'.  This has indicated in the past that a decoder is being fitted and that it will be dispatched very soon. Happy days! :dance_mini::biggrin_mini2: :D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for posting those detailed photographs.

What an amazing piece of work, just beautiful. Looking at the picture of the coach, you could easily believe it to be a much bigger model, it would be interesting to take comparison shots of these lovely new models with the large scale live steam version that was produced before.

Well done Hornby, a really inspired choice and a beautifully executed model.

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh, and am enjoying the anticipation too.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

The arc of the curve is larger on one than the other, hence it is out of position.

It needs squeezing together a bit.

Just so.  There are two machine screws forward of the axle, and two locating pegs behind the axle.  The locating pegs on my rocket protrude slightly above the surface of the axle retaining unit.

11 hours ago, melmerby said:

I think what might work with the decoder is a small piggyback M-F connector

I was thinking something the same - those Farnell parts look useful, I would suggest the plug part should have some appropriate metal strip soldered to each of the "tags" which is bend through ninety degrees to be soldered to the other part so reinforcing the joint between them. The alternative is to dispense with the socket and hard wire a decoder in place - be that located in the barrel or elsewhere as I suggested earlier in the thread if the barrel were to replaced if the split was too distracting in the supplied barrel. Is there anything obvious on the factory fitted pcb in the barrel that is not interference suppression related as any decent decoder does that anyway,

Edited by Butler Henderson

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Curious!

Those holes locate on moulded pips. So no screws missing.

• Informative/Useful 1

I noticed the 'missing screws on the bracket' thing - but with no locating hole beneath - mislocated or not.

One thing I have noticed as well is just how intricate the models are - those coach footsteps are superb.

They did 'miss a trick' with the coach buffers I reckon 'though.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2020 at 23:15, adb968008 said:

The picture quite definitely isnt russian, it was used as the cover of the Rocket 150 guidebook in 1980...

its been subjected to a Russian however.

ive always been skeptical of this picture... the image suggests an engine at speed, but the guy ushering the kids away wouldnt be able to keep up, nor would the dogs be able to respond as fast. If the loco was static.. then why rush away the kids and why would the dogs react.

You do realise that this is a painting done over the course of weeks, in an room probably miles from the location and not a doctored photo?

1 hour ago, Vistisen said:

You do realise that this is a painting done over the course of weeks, in an room probably miles from the location and not a doctored photo?

Well, we can be confident in that it's not a doctored photo of any actual event! :lol:

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 1