Next competition theme?

Edwardian

Ooh ooh..... please sir? How about a signal box theme? Any sort of box (including ground frames) on any track - single, main-line, siding ..... whatever.

Saw a 'box competition at Meursault (topic under the French part of the Continental section) - quite a few and all different.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
Just checking my 'r's.

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2020 at 18:26, Phil Parker said:

We're going to rest the competition for a few months and come back with something new. Don't think you have seen the back of Cake Boxes though!

I certainly haven't.

The ones I'm looking at have got Lidl top iced Christmas cakes in them.

They're called "health foods". That's right - they make me feel good (even better if they're washed down with a decent Weißbier).

(They're also called "single helping packs" ... but the less said about that, the better.)

Now I come to the real cake box challenge - taking at least a whole day to empty one of the things.

Seriously though, I suspect we've all got our own ideas of what sort of challenge we'd like to see next (and if it even involves a cake box).

I think I'd prefer to wait a month or two for an official announcement.

In the mean time, I'm hoping to find the time to make a start on a railcar build. (This one would actually fit into an 8 inch cake box, even in O. Of course, the biggest challenge for me right now is finding time to build it ... .)

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

On 10/01/2020 at 18:26, Phil Parker said:

We're going to rest the competition for a few months and come back with something new. Don't think you have seen the back of Cake Boxes though!

I still have a couple of ideas and parts for some additional Cake Box projects, so will post progress in this section when I get round to them. It’s been good fun so far.

Marlyn

• Like 2

I have been looking through the different cakebox themes on this part of the forum. A lot of members seem to enjoy and produce some lovely pieces of work.

Would it be worth just leaving this section for anyone who wants to have a bash at a cakebox build.

• Like 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, 4wDH said:

I have been looking through the different cakebox themes on this part of the forum. A lot of members seem to enjoy and produce some lovely pieces of work.

Would it be worth just leaving this section for anyone who wants to have a bash at a cakebox build.

I agree. Cake Box is one of the things I'm proudest of in my toy-train journalism career because it's got people modelling - so I don't want to see it go away. We'll leave the section of RMweb for anyone who wants to start build threads.

I might even have another go at one myself. I just need to empty this particular box... ;)

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 15/03/2020 at 10:56, thegavs said:

Cannot help but think that with covid 19 and social isolation if not forced isolation that might be coming now is the time to start a new competition?

thoughts?

Indeed, I suggested something similar on one of the other threads (either the proper Covid-19 one or the Ally Pally one, can't remember now) last week. 

• Like 2

On 15/03/2020 at 17:41, Steamport Southport said:

Making things out of hoarded toilet rolls and baked bean tins?

:mosking:

Jason

I noticed this evening our local Tesco has run out of both baked beans and toilet roll.

Maybe there's a connection right there - nothing to do with any virus!! :rolleyes:

Anyway all this speculation about the amount of free time people will have whilst isolated ignores the fact that SWMBO will have a list of jobs around the house that need doing. :scared:

It's the same list that has been in existence for years, but this time there'll be no excuses... :punish:

• Friendly/supportive 4

Slightly annoyed by all this Golden Acres of Endless Leisure talk.  If I have more free time it will be because I have no work.  If I have no work I expect that I will be somewhat preoccupied staving off Famine and Eviction.  In other words, contrary to what Radio 4 fondly imagines my position to be, I will, in common with the vast majority of my fellow citizens, be absolutely f-----d.

Then again, if there is no bread left in the supermarket, let us eat cake and do something interesting with the box!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5