S&DRT told to quit Washford by WSR

H2O

Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust told to quit Washford site by Feb 2021 by West Somerset Railway. Reasons not very clear so far.

A bit of a tall order to find somewhere and move everything within 12 months.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, H2O said:

Somerset & Dorset Railway Trust told to quit Washford site by Feb 2021 by West Somerset Railway. Reasons not very clear so far.

A bit of a tall order to find somewhere and move everything within 12 months.

Is it likely to have come out of the blue? There may have been things going on that mean they'd have been looking elsewhere, or at least keeping their eyes open.

9 hours ago, ikcdab said:

Not really. A brand new 25-year lease was signed in May 2018.

The WSR was talking c2010 about taking over Washford because it needed the space and making an offer for the 2-8-0. If a new lease was signed less than two years ago why has the lessee been given notice?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

ISTR the WSR has been going through tough financial times. It may be that a thorough review of income and expenditure has revealed they can perhaps make more from this site than the present lease is giving. It is perhaps part of bigger changes within WSR, aimed at turning things round.

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

ISTR the WSR has been going through tough financial times. It may be that a thorough review of income and expenditure has revealed they can perhaps make more from this site than the present lease is giving. It is perhaps part of bigger changes within WSR, aimed at turning things round.

Agree that thr WSR have reviewed things and think this is the best way forward. In most contracts early termination usually comes with penalties for the side who are breaking the deal. For a commercial contract I'd be suprised if only 12 months notice was it, some times (depending on who defaulted) they have to pay expenses and/or provide a new place of business / tenant.

Whatever the ins and outs I'd guess those with existing contracts or thinking of getting one with the WSR may be looking at things a bit differently now?

• RMweb Gold

I think that it could be a blessing in disguise if the S&DT can be accommodated at one of the preservation sites on the S&D.

I don't see though how this benefits the WSR. So far as I know, the freehold of the site belongs to Somerset CC. So it would be the County not the railway that stands to gain.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The WSR was talking c2010 about taking over Washford because it needed the space and making an offer for the 2-8-0. If a new lease was signed less than two years ago why has the lessee been given notice?

Since 2010, WSR have built new facilities at Norton Fitzwarren. So I can't see any operational need to take over Washford.

• RMweb Premium

...Sadly, the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust is governed in such a way that means they felt unable to assist other than by allowing the WSR to hold and retain the profits from a Real Ale Festival. They wish to pursue their own agenda and are therefore currently serving a year’s notice to remove themselves from the Washford site...

The quote above from the page linked to, gives me the impression that there's a bit of bad blood now. If that is indeed the case, then it may be wise for the Trust to move out to a different location, perhaps one of the existing S&DJR preservation projects, if they can stomach that.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

The quote above from the page linked to, gives me the impression that there's a bit of bad blood now. If that is indeed the case, then it may be wise for the Trust to move out to a different location, perhaps one of the existing S&DJR preservation projects, if they can stomach that.

I always had the impression there was "bad blood" between the S&DRT and some of the preservation groups currently working on the S&DJR.....

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

I always had the impression there was "bad blood" between the S&DRT and some of the preservation groups currently working on the S&DJR.....

The impression I have got as an armchair member of both The Trust & Midsomer Norton is that Midsomer Norton would welcome them 

• Like 1

As far as I understand it from The Official Announcement & other Forums is that the S&DRT were asked to contribute towards engineering work on the track.

The reply was that their Articles do not permit them to do so.

They were then served notice on the premises at Washford.

Now I am no lawyer or familiar with Commercial Leases, BUT I am not sure that the WSR PLC can tell them to go unless there is a 'break' clause or they have broken a term of the lease, and I have not seen it suggested that they have

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimC said:

It probably says as much as can be said at the present.

I really didn't think that the WSR could create even more reputational damage to itself but it seems to be determined to do so. All very regrettable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

We regularly travel on the WSR and I regret to observe that whereas all the other stations are fully manned (Doniford Halt is the exception), invariably Washford is unstaffed and shuttered. I get the impression the S&DRT don't care about the site. 

I am only an occasional traveler on the line, and read some of the newsletters, but am not surprised.

I got a distinct impression a couple of years ago that the WSR wanted the Washford site back, 

so was surprised when the new lease for the site at Washford was signed.

cheers

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Tim V said:

We regularly travel on the WSR and I regret to observe that whereas all the other stations are fully manned (Doniford Halt is the exception), invariably Washford is unstaffed and shuttered. I get the impression the S&DRT don't care about the site. 

Is it "their site" to care about though, if the S&DRT are only tenants carrying out their own aims and ambitions is it not up to the WSR to care about the area generally?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I am very sure there is more to this than is allowed to meet the public eye for at least the present time.  I do wonder if there is an image issue in the mix - not as the sole factor but Washford has been (well) maintained in SR style and colours by the Trust whereas the Minehead line is definitely WR territory and the remaining stations reflect that.  Just a thought.  

• Informative/Useful 1