Peco Parkside kits for a novice

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Funny isnt it? You learn as you go along - a few years ago I wouldnt have fretted about safety loops but now add them with NS wire where indicated.

For my own education please ..... what exactly was their purpose, what were they keeping safe?

The safety loops came about because various rods came  undone and the loose bits caused derailments. 

• Thanks 1

safety loops are bits of steel that are there to keep bit from falling off if they came loose/broke. The ones he is referring to are on the brake shafts. Modern stock still have them, even DMUs to retain bits like propshafts.wagonbr.jpg.beb44736c9f5cf1cb96bd46a14819ba3.jpg

This picture was chosen at random off the internet, and the safety straps are the square metal loops just before the brake shoes. they are there to stop the brake shafts falling off.

PS-thanks to whomever this photo came from. Google search didn't say who is was to credit it to.

Edited by cheesysmith
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After Phil Parkers suggestion earlier in the thread, I've finally got around to building a Parkside 'SNCF' wagon kit. It goes together really easily and I've now got a wagon type that is a little bit different.

I've done a video here of the build.

• RMweb Gold
On 20/04/2020 at 08:20, cheesysmith said:

safety loops are bits of steel that are there to keep bit from falling off if they came loose/broke. The ones he is referring to are on the brake shafts. Modern stock still have them, even DMUs to retain bits like propshafts.wagonbr.jpg.beb44736c9f5cf1cb96bd46a14819ba3.jpg

This picture was chosen at random off the internet, and the safety straps are the square metal loops just before the brake shoes. they are there to stop the brake shafts falling off.

PS-thanks to whomever this photo came from. Google search didn't say who is was to credit it to.

No idea who took the pic, but it looks like Didcot's N34 20T loco coal wagon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I normally weight my kits to 30g per wagon. Why? That's the weight of an RTR vehicle, so I'm making everything equal in weight. It holds the track fine and the even weighting throughout the rake stops any derailments caused by wagons in the middle of a rake being too light.

• Informative/Useful 1