Ratio Signals

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

I have a vague recollection from my youth that some Ratio signals were, if not ready to plant, were ready painted and just needed simple assembly. I think they had some metal parts too. I see that the Ratio 493 kit has replaced the 490/491/492 kits. Are those older kits the ones that were pre-assembled? Or did they ditch them even earlier? 

• RMweb Gold

Originally or rather originally in their plastic period) they did some WR bracket signals which came pre-coloured and pre-assembled - and very nice they were too but rather pricey in contemporaneous terms although well worth the money.  They vanished off the market and then the kits came along some years later.  Subsequently some - straight post - pre-assembled signals appeared all using theur newly devised operating method with thread and a neat little plastic lever.

I have an idea that the some of the mouldings for kit form (G)WR signals underwent a few changes over the years and the original kit for round post signals - which was. i think,  the earliest in the kit range- vanished to be replaced by one based on GWR timber post signals.  Fortunately I acquired a plastic bag full of various sprues for the steel tubular post range some years after they'd gone off the market.

The signals that come with a cord working system can be readily motorised with a Tortoise or similar - leave the spring out of the base mechanism and provide the motor with strong operating arm (ie a thicker length of rod than that provided) that fits into the base mechanisms lever (the hole for the cord)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2020 at 18:44, Nile said:

Ratio 460/1/2 come with painted arms and parts to make them operate, and are still available:

Ratio signals

They're the GWR ones though.

I've just found one of the SR rail built ones. Sorry no photos as I don't have the technology.

490 SR Rail Post Home Signal.

The signal and base are whitemetal. Then there is a couple of black plastic sprues of parts such as ladder and mechanism. There is also a normal Ratio lever with thread. Bits of wire, etc.

The only part which is painted is the arm which is a white sprue with a bit of painted red.

I've no idea of the date as I think they were purchased about 1985 to 1987.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

They're the GWR ones though.

I've just found one of the SR rail built ones. Sorry no photos as I don't have the technology.

490 SR Rail Post Home Signal.

The signal and base are whitemetal. Then there is a couple of black plastic sprues of parts such as ladder and mechanism. There is also a normal Ratio lever with thread. Bits of wire, etc.

The only part which is painted is the arm which is a white sprue with a bit of painted red.

I've no idea of the date as I think they were purchased about 1985 to 1987.

Jason

Thanks, I think I might have been confusing the GWR ones with the SR ones...

• RMweb Gold
On 05/04/2020 at 14:06, JJGraphics said:

They also work well with a servo.

John

That is the route I am taking with them, using a Megapointscontroller to even do the bounce.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo