The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Great Skype Interview Bookcase Cliché

luckymucklebackit

Come on, you can help but have noticed it, since Skype interviews have become the norm It seems to be an essential feature to be interviewed in front of as big a set of bookshelves as possible, I am convinced the so called "experts" and politicians are vying with each other to have the most impressive selection of books so that they look more learned than the others. I need to get my vast collection of Scottish Railway books dug out of storage and displayed just in case the call comes!!

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

Or less cynically it’s because they are Skyping from their study, which is where their computer and books are...

I spend all day in video meetings and tutorials, and my background is just the same, a wall of books, and I’m not attempting to look more learned than anyone else, I just - like any academic - have a lot of books! 

David 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Video call for work, they just get an empty picture frame behind me (I broke it a while ago but the state of the wall it covers looks even worse - really must get that sorted some day!) In any case my upload speed isn't high enough to do remotely good quality video.

• RMweb Premium

Haha yes, I'd noticed it too, but on reflection if I am on Skype I'd either have bookshelves behind me or if I angle myself so I'm turned slightly sideways, a large picture frame, which currently has one of my own pictures in it, the 747 at France's Musée de l'air et de l'espace, but changes every now and again - a framed old map is another option. 

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

so called "experts"

Fascinating. I do hope you’re not bothering those so called “expert” doctors when you get ill. Much more sensible to sort it out yourself. What do they know...?!

And yes, I also Skype/ Zoom in front of a bookcase. Because my study, which is where I work when I’m at home, is where I also keep most of my books. 

I have noticed a significant number of my colleagues Skype/ Zoom in front of a window. Their faces disappear and they look like a silhouette. I assume this is deliberately passive-aggressive. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The layout of my study means that the camera on my laptop points towards the window (and angled away from the book case), making me a silhouette if I use it. There's no other way to set the room up. Plus I needed a haircut before the lockdown, and it's getting increasingly ridiculous, so probably best if no one can see me properly.

I Skype from in front of one of the few walls in my house which does not have a bookcase, that being where the settle I sit on is located.  So colleagues get a view of a picture of trawlers, a light switch and my thermostat (except when my cat thinks they should look at her instead)

1 hour ago, Fenman said:

Fascinating. I do hope you’re not bothering those so called “expert” doctors when you get ill. Much more sensible to sort it out yourself. What do they know...?!

And yes, I also Skype/ Zoom in front of a bookcase. Because my study, which is where I work when I’m at home, is where I also keep most of my books. 

I have noticed a significant number of my colleagues Skype/ Zoom in front of a window. Their faces disappear and they look like a silhouette. I assume this is deliberately passive-aggressive. 

Paul

A slightly OTT response to what was a light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek OP, maybe? 

Jim stated 'so-called experts,' of which there are plenty on telly every day, nothing to do with doctors.  They are taking about the economy, how to exercise, what to do about anxious pets, when to sanitize a lawnmower, [pretty much everything]. 

In this context, the reference to 'deliberately passive aggressive' leaves me shaking my head a bit!  Time for my thrice daily exercise I think, need some fresh air.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

3 hours ago, Fenman said:

Paul

Chard called it correctly, I have nothing but respect for the medical professionals at all levels, it's the other hanger on's that the BBC drag out to fill up the gaps.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

As it appears now that everyone is working from home in my company we all have to use our cameras.

Bah, I've managed 6 years with a blank screen but now I have to adopt the distancing peer pressure rules.

It's teams we use and I did see the Minecraft background appear yesterday, I chose the beach, anything is probably better than - a bit of a bookcase covered in tools and whatnot from the railway I am not building or the bare lightbulb above my head as I prefer that to a uplifter lamp shade or worst of all the bright sunshine coming in through the window basically rendering the camera useless.

Then there is the colleague whose laptop is normally under his desk so it looks up at him at a very odd angle in meetings, heaven knows what that camera is usually pointing at under his desk!!

What's a "Skype"? :lol:

I don't even use the phone at home, never mind any form of internet or video conversation-doodahs. The two people I need to converse with - my sister and brother - I do by email. That way I can think of what to say and type at leisure ;)

At work I need to make calls to customers and suppliers, but while we're all working from home the work-colleague interaction has gone onto email too.

Paul

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

A slightly OTT response to what was a light-hearted and tongue-in-cheek OP, maybe? 

Jim stated 'so-called experts,' of which there are plenty on telly every day, nothing to do with doctors.  They are taking about the economy, how to exercise, what to do about anxious pets, when to sanitize a lawnmower, [pretty much everything]. 

In this context, the reference to 'deliberately passive aggressive' leaves me shaking my head a bit!  Time for my thrice daily exercise I think, need some fresh air.

I thought the exclamation mark would be enough of a clue. I'll try to remember to do a smiley next time.

I was going to comment that the "passive-aggressive" comment had nothing to do with the OP but, since you used an exclamation mark after that, I'm now not sure if you were being funny. Er... !

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Come on, you can help but have noticed it, since Skype interviews have become the norm It seems to be an essential feature to be interviewed in front of as big a set of bookshelves as possible, I am convinced the so called "experts" and politicians are vying with each other to have the most impressive selection of books so that they look more learned than the others. I need to get my vast collection of Scottish Railway books dug out of storage and displayed just in case the call comes!!

Jim

Hopefully this will work.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/03/31/alex-cartoons-april-2020/alex-cartoon-april-151/

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

All this talk of studies and bookcases is making me jealous - I only ever got interviewed in cold empty church buildings, or cemeteries!

More seriously, I am now starting to have to use forms of video-conferencing for elements of my work.  The serious bit is making sure that only the 'right' types of books are seen behind me!  :angel::devil:

Regards,

Alex.

12 hours ago, Fenman said:

I have noticed a significant number of my colleagues Skype/ Zoom in front of a window. Their faces disappear and they look like a silhouette.

Since that means the light from outside must be falling directly on the screen, probably the worst arrangement for actually seeing what's on it.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It must be 4 or 5 decades ago that Mad magazine had a spread on video phones showing pull down backdrops that you could use to change the apparent locale that you were calling from.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alex TM said:

More seriously, I am now starting to have to use forms of video-conferencing for elements of my work.  The serious bit is making sure that only the 'right' types of books are seen behind me!  :angel::devil:

The alternative is to get far enough away from the bookshelves that people can see you have many books, you are therefore well-read and clever, but they're too far away to read the titles.  

14 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Can you also get your cat to clean it's rectum while on the bookcase?  (Occurred during a live remote feed to a TV news show.)

Actually the cat specializes in doing the opposite of what's wanted.  Perhaps I should be getting him to clean his nose.  

Edited by Edwin_m

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Can you also get your cat to clean it's rectum while on the bookcase?  (Occurred during a live remote feed to a TV news show.)

So not just 'so-called experts' (sorry luckmucklebackit !) on TV but a***holes too :D:D

• Funny 2

I feel like I'm missing out with my job... I don't need to do Skype etc for my work.  I'd be tempted to make it a bit theatrical out of mischief, lots of bookshelves, flickering firelight, leather armchair, smoking jacket; basically looking as if the caller was conversing with Noel Coward reading the Book At Bedtime :)

Has anyone thought of taking a shot of their model railway and digitally inserting it behind themselves, so it looks like they're commuting from a Triang station?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

My wife has had a few appreciative comments from her colleagues about the wall of books behind her - I'm working in the kitchen, so my background is rather less prosaic, luckily most of my calls are done without video!

Apparently many of the VC products allow you to change background, so people are appearing in various exotic locations...