MK1 table top colour?

w124bob

On blue grey Mk1 SO/TSO coaches what was the colour of the table tops, quick image search has thrown up no less than 5 different versions. My memory is foggy but black and light grey come to mind. I'm pretty sure polished wood, jade green or a BRish blue are post preservation.

• RMweb Gold

There isn't just one right answer. For example early build Mk1s had varnished wood beading round the edge of the tables, while later builds came with aluminium beading instead. I too remember a light grey patterned formica tabletop. Black doesn't feature in my memories at all. And right at the end of the blue and grey livery, the LMR had several rakes of MK1s fitted with tabletops patterned as board game playing surfaces (chess, snakes and ladders etc) These were used on Northampton-Euston commuter services  on weekdays and dated holiday or excursion work at weekends.

Edited by Andy W
Correct typo

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Andy W said:

These were used on Northampton-Euston commuter services  on weekdays and dates holiday or excursion work at weekends.

AKA Cobblers rakes..... we had one on NSE day in the 80s, Sparky to Mitre Bridge then Crompton to Portsmouth. Those were the days.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I recall a dark grey colour with a wood surround on stock with wood veneer interiors and a lighter grey table top with an aluminium surround on stock with light coloured plastic interiors. 

No matter what colour they were all seemed to have a random pattern of sticky circles, normally to the right of the passenger facing them.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes I remember dark grey table tops too; I was going to say formica but that isn't really right, what I've got in mind was some kind of rubbery material that peeled up from the edges.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, 31A said:

Yes I remember dark grey table tops too; I was going to say formica but that isn't really right, what I've got in mind was some kind of rubbery material that peeled up from the edges.

If you placed your hand on the table and then tried to remove it the bit that had started to peel would lift up so far and your hand would no longer move as it remained stuck to the circle pattern.

There was always something gouged out like PR 4 JA....."with wishful thinking" written in Biro under it. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Parkin pages 53/79/82/85/87/111/138 gives an indication but all in B & W. I reckon the light cream melamine tops were common.

Some here (blue in the first)

image.png.84717c5d0dddbf4189c524c361fc3c36.png

image.png.7d1bfa3be70a25b865471e06a627e2a6.png

image.png.2a903defd605d8e0cb1e62a62f063805.png

image.png.513f79bf118983536ffd893a159d31ea.png

All these from a web search; not much around really. Heritage lines might have pics of their restored stock?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
Wrong type of coach.

I think the black I remember is actually the dark grey, I prefer the light grey as it just is a bit more obvious in model form. Next problem, getting into Bachmann Mk1's, what a pain. But that's not for this thread other than once in I remove the end steps and modify the water filler/ vertical handrail . After posting the question I started trawling Flickr for period photos where interiors were visible. I wonder who owns the rights to the old Kitmaster/Rosebud coach interior kits?

https://www.flickr.com/groups/3072977@N22/pool/

A favourite site.

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 1

I have 10 B&G Bachmann mk1s so plenty to do once they come out of the loft. I'll probably just go blue seats and grey tables* as once people have been installed (must get some more) that won't be all that visible, even once lighting is fitted. I might well do 5 at a time as I run my stock in fixed rakes.

*Weren't they either blue or that weird pale brown colour sometimes?

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

I definitely remember "wood effect", "marble effect", cream, light blue, light green, even bright orange (that might have been Mark 2s though).

Probably anything they could get that was wipe downable and was fashionable at the time.

I would think most preserved stock have authentic tables, just not the originals. Most probably have whatever they were bought with unless they've had a major restoration.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

That's Thompson I'm afraid. It's the Thompson Buffet Car No 1706 at Llangollen. The interior is as close as possible to it's original condition from 1947.

Jason

Oh sorry, it was in the Flicker Mk1 section. thanks I'll delete it.

Very dark grey rexine with wood surround on early builds, aluminium surrounds with various colours of formica depending on when built and interior trim. So grey,  blue, green and a dull red would all of bend found. 

The black laminate tables where usually found on mk2s.