The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Perfect Breakfast

iL Dottore

• RMweb Gold

I am missing the large breakfast from our local cafe, but I did discover a new family favourite while ‘experimenting’ in the kitchen last weekend, I was trying to replicate the breakfast chimichangas from Disneyland but with a few variations. It’s a tortilla wrap with a Richmond sausage split lengthwise (I know there are probably  better sausages, but it’s my wife’s favourite brand), tomato ketchup, topped with cheddar, scrambled eggs and sauté potatoes. Wrapped like a spring roll or burrito, the shallow fried to make the wrap crispy. Definitely not healthy but tasted pretty good.

Leads me to a question, ketchup or brown sauce?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

... ketchup or brown sauce?

Depends. Brown sauce with a full English.

Both with American steak, eggs and proper hash browns (rinsed, freshly grated potato cooked in butter on a flat top griddle, not potato pucks). Brown sauce for the steak, ketchup for the hash browns.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

Monday to Friday a bowl of Irish oats made with milk, half a spoon of brown sugar and a few blueberries on top, cup of coffee.

Saturday & Sunday only a smallish fry up. Bacon egg  sausages and toast, occasionally a slice of Bury black sausage. more of a brunch for us at usually between 10 & 12 o clock.

When my son (AKA the locust) is home and cooks breakfast it's the above plus more. No beans though - even though they're made in Wigan (Heinz) and I like beans on toast - not for breakfast in our house.

Looking forward to tomorrow morning - the locust is at home !!

Brit15

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As much as I love Chinese and South East Asian food in general I hate the rice porridge and congee type stuff that is a staple of breakfast. Toasted crumpets or muffins are good.

• Agree 3

13 minutes ago, StuAllen said:

It’s a tortilla wrap with a Richmond sausage split lengthwise (I know there are probably  better sausages, but it’s my wife’s favourite brand), tomato ketchup, topped with cheddar, scrambled eggs and sauté potatoes.

I'd substitute salsa verde for the ketchup.

Breakfast burritos, as is, or as chimichangas are a good thing.

• Agree 1

My favourite brekkie is a Cowboy from a Western Canadian chain called Humpty’s. Generally I only order the half sized one but the biggun is.2 bacon 2 sausage (not those tiny ones either), 2 eggs any way you want, pan hash browns which aren’t like those awful compressed things you get in cafes, pierogies, tomato, slab of ham, toast & bottomless pot of coffee. 

These days I do a full cooked breakfast only on alternate Sundays. Cumberlands, local smoked back bacon, potato Rosti, strangled eggs, mushrooms & onion. Always done on the bbq. Strangled eggs are 3 eggs + grated Gouda + milk + Holy F*ck hot sauce + a random ingredient. (Ham, chorizo, sweet peppers, or whatever I feel like)  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

5 days a week Flahavan's Irish Quick Porridge and milk only, no sweetening. 

1 day a week toast and marmalade with lashings of butter - you need to see the teethmarks!

Sundays there is usually a cooked breakfast. This can vary in quantity but the ideal would be fried eggs, three rashers of back bacon, a couple of sausages, black pudding, mushrooms, tomato (but definitely not tinned) fried bread all preceded by orange juice and followed by toast, marmalade and coffee. Not often I have that lot, it's much more likely to be a smaller version but when I do I love it! :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9

Hi Folks,

First Course:

I much prefer to take the James Hunt approach to breakfast first thing !

Second Course:

Once out of of bed I do like porridge oats and raisins soaked in cold full cream milk in the fridge overnight, along with a pot of Assam in a pint sized mug.

Third Course:

Only on a Sunday at around ten, either a fry up of bacon, sausage, egg, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and fried bread with a good dollop of Stokes' brown sauce or Manx kippers and scrambled egg with melted cheese in it buttered toast plus more Assam tea.

Fourth Course:

Again Sundays only at around eleven, coffee and cake.

Gibbo.

Edited by Gibbo675
Spelling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Cereal most days for me, with almond or coconut milk as I find large quantities of proper milk disagree with me - the quantity in tea is fine though.

A full English is a rare treat, oddly enough the last really good one I had was from a restaurant on the main square in Poznań!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spikey said:

Whatever, the last time I had a "Full English" was during flying training many moons ago.  It was found to be particularly suitable when consumed immediately prior to an early take-off and aerobatics. 

Did it taste better first time round or second?? :sarcastichand:

A nice additional treat in our house when we have a full English breakfast  - Jamaican Fried Dumplings, courtesy of SWMBO. :yes:

I worked nights for 12 years, but unlike some long-term Nighters, never swapped breakfast & dinner over, sticking to breakfast before bed, and dinner before work. It obviously goes totally against the title and spirit of this thread, but I have to admit that some mornings after a difficult shift, a couple of McDonalds sausage & egg muffins, or a breakfast wrap, would just hit the spot!! :good:

As my working week started on a Sunday night, especially in the summer time a breakfast beer on a Monday morning also went down nicely, with added 'smug factor' if I could catch my neighbour across the garden fence as he loaded his van; he facing Monday morning blues, me beer in hand... :sungum: :jester:

Edit:- for a Full English, always Brown Sauce. :nono:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Ketchup? Sauce? You heathens! Salt & pepper only, please!  Gloop only hides the taste! I'm about to partake of my 3rd cuppa (mugga) of the day. Tea is either milk or sugar, but never both. 

The greatest pleasure is to eat breakfast in solitude. Mrs Smith will deliberately wind me up by invading my personal space whilst preparing breakfast, be it only toast & marmalade. It will turn me from a pleasant, amiable person to a very angry & grumpy bunny. 

Whilst typing this, I have determined that there will be a toaster & kettle in the new shed, with a blessed big lock on the door. No radio, just solitude. 

It's not much for a chap to ask, is it?

• Like 8

13 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

As much as I love Chinese and South East Asian food in general I hate the rice porridge and congee type stuff that is a staple of breakfast. Toasted crumpets or muffins are good.

Agree. I love Thai food but hotel breakfasts over there are usually buffet style and their interpretation of American / UK breakfasts are usually poor - Toast jam eggs / omelettes strange sausages, boiled ham in warm water substitutes for bacon !! - At least nearly everywhere eggs / omelettes are cooked to order - I hate pre cooked fried eggs in a luke warm pan on a buffet. The fruit is usually good though. Rice porridge etc for the Mrs - not me also.

One particular resort hotel we visit regularly is the Thai Garden Resort in Pattaya - Run by  a retired Dutch footballer (who actually manages he's always around, and is a pleasant guy) - The breakfast buffet there is 100% first class - Three styles of bacon etc etc. Only place in Thailand where I can make a decent bacon butty !!

Craziest place I've been to for breakfast is Las Vegas (back in 1989) - One dollar breakfast, steak, eggs, ham bacon hash browns coffee like treacle and god knows what else all piled high - set you up for the day though.

Got to go - I smell bacon !!

Brit15

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Ketchup? Sauce? You heathens! Salt & pepper only, please!  Gloop only hides the taste! I'm about to partake of my 3rd cuppa (mugga) of the day. Tea is either milk or sugar, but never both. 

The greatest pleasure is to eat breakfast in solitude. Mrs Smith will deliberately wind me up by invading my personal space whilst preparing breakfast, be it only toast & marmalade. It will turn me from a pleasant, amiable person to a very angry & grumpy bunny. 

Why do women do this? My wife is the same. 

As soon as she senses me getting the frying pan out on a Sunday morning, she is in the kitchen like a shot - wandering around trying to think up things she *must* get done while making disparaging comments about how many reports she has read about processed meat (including bacon and sausages) giving people cancer, heart disease, etc., eggs full of bad cholesterol, and surely I should be using olive oil, not beef dripping for frying.  

Meanwhile she then takes about 30 minutes to decide whether to slice a banana or an apple over her very boring looking bowl of microwaved porridge.

• Friendly/supportive 6

This is a topic for dividing opinions!  I regard breakfast as the most important meal of the day.  If I am on the road, as is often the case in more normal times, I treat it as if I do not know where the next meal is coming from.  This is sometimes true!

I like porridge, made with one third each of oats, milk and water and topped with wheat germ and runny honey.  This will often suffice but there are alternatives.  In mainland Europe, particularly Switzerland, I enjoy plain yogurt dolloped over whatever fruit is on offer.  For the nominally hot portion there is bacon, which some hotels enjoy cremating, and eggs, which they insist on scrambling but all too frequently a significant time before the victim sits down to eat it.  Sausages are difficult to get totally wrong - now there's a challenge.  Unlike some, I don't mind baked beans and prefer fresh tomatoes to the tinned variety.  I would much rather have white pudding than black and always enjoy mushrooms.  I will happily have saute potatoes or leftover mash but refuse to eat chips as part of breakfast.  Getting fried bread right is an art known to few.  That offered at the Harry Ramsdens at Michael Wood service area on the M5 I find exemplary.  Little Chef used to do it very well too: oh, how I miss the Little Chef Olympic breakfast.

Where to get the ideal breakfast is often a challenge.  In normal times supermarkets are worth a look.  The one that Tesco offers is good but for my money the Morrisons Big Daddy is king of the hill.  The A1 is particularly difficult unless, unlike me, you know where the truck stops are.  Some motorway service areas are better than others but it can be a good idea to check out the location of Wetherspoons outlets near the route.  The larger 'Spoons breakfast comes with toast.   For a mere 25p the toast can be garnished with marmalade.  One of the best breakfasts that I can recall was on a Hertfordshire Railtours excursion to Edinburgh.  It cost me more than I spend on food in a week but it was worth it.

Chris

• Like 6

1 hour ago, APOLLO said:

Agree. I love Thai food but hotel breakfasts over there are usually buffet style and their interpretation of American / UK breakfasts are usually poor - Toast jam eggs / omelettes strange sausages, boiled ham in warm water substitutes for bacon !! - At least nearly everywhere eggs / omelettes are cooked to order - I hate pre cooked fried eggs in a luke warm pan on a buffet. The fruit is usually good though. Rice porridge etc for the Mrs.

I agree with most of that. I do like sticky rice with mango. I could eat that every morning.

Bernard

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, spikey said:

Now wondering if all you regular Full English eaters are on statins...

Certainly not those of us who believe that the theory underlying this therapy has been invalidated. The problem is that a large proportion of current clinical practise is now predicated on this theory of cholesterol causing heart disease, and there has been so much investment in public education that it is now very difficult to 'turn about' and chart a new course based on better understanding: which has been published these twenty years or so.

A better theory of cause of heart disease is that it is an infection dominated by a chlamydia, causing inflammation in the coronary arteries: deposition of cholesterol is a symptom, and not the cause. It's a better theory because for a start it accounts for occurrence of heart disease in fit athletes known to have had lower cholesterol levels then most ever achieve. (I remember only too well 'the difficulty' when the prevalent theories on the cause of stomach ulcers - dominated by 'stress' - were falsified; when it was proven that the common cause was a bacterial infection, and stomach ulcers could be cured swiftly with an antibiotic. Much red face among previously 'expert' practitioners in this field.)

• Informative/Useful 6

The Perfect Breakfast is one delivered to your bedside, to your specification!

However, this morning I made do with a bacon and sausage toastie (2 soss, 2 rashers of bacon, application of brown sauce) and a mug of tea.

A good start to the day!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably (or safely) I eat very few proper job breakfasts per annum but when I do have one it has to be fried egg, grilled tomato (or heated tinned tomatoes), grilled or fried bacon, a slice of fried black pudding, ideally some grilled or fried mushrooms, and possibly a sausage plus occasionally half a slice of fried bread but more commonly a slice of toast.  Said meal must not be adulterated by either baked beans or any sort of ketchup or brown sauce but should rely for maximum enjoyment solely on the natural flavours of the contents.    

Occasionally - although prohibited at home by the domestic authorities - a kipper will be enjoyed.  And much more likely to served (occasionally) at home is either a boiled egg (with toast soldiers of course) or scrambled egg on toast.  But overall I reckon I probably get a cooked breakfast of any sort on about one day in every three weeks and the last time I counted up on proper job breakfasts I didn't need all my fingers and thumbs to count the number i had consumed in a 12 month period.  As our two trips to sea this year have been cancelled this entire year's total will be even fewer - I think i I've only had 3 so far this year and one of those was in the afternoon:rolleyes:

Generally I don't eat breakfast beyond the occasional slice of toast but I do try to have a lunch when at home which I suppose could be classified as brunch albeit later than usual for such a meal.  My normal is c.250 grams of sautéed mushrooms on a slice of toast topped by grilled streaky bacon rashers.  I might at some time lose the bacon but alas my mushroom on toast version happens to include double cream and sometimes a drop of alcoholic 'taster' as well as whole grain mustard mixed in with the mushrooms while they are being cooked.

• Like 8

The sauteed mushrooms (with cream) are lovely. I have them on toast occasionally, although I prefer them poured over a sirloin steak. This kind of indulgent breakfast is limited to when the domestic commandant has gone to visit her sister. ;)

One traditional breakfast I can get away with is Christmas Day; and that is the (supposedly) Lincolnshire traditional breakfast of a large slice of pork pie. 

• Like 5