Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The late N&W steam also floats my boat, O Winston Link to blame - I have the books, I have the records.....

Yes, O Winston Link was an inspiration. My brother gave mevonevof his books asxa birthday present once. Much appreciated.the David P Morgan quote is from the N & W chapter in The Mohawk thatvRefused to abdicate andcother tales of steam.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The late N&W steam also floats my boat, O Winston Link to blame - I have the books, I have the records.....

He went through quite a few flash bulbs in some of his pictures.

Incredible stuff.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

He went through quite a few flash bulbs in some of his pictures.

Incredible stuff.

Did everyone see the C4 episode in their railway series a few years back, when OWL had most of the world's known remaining flashbulbs set up for another classic night shot - and forgot to set the camera, so they were all wasted? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

I currently  have a couple of the old South Greenfield baseboards erected on the drive.

A completely non railway modelling event, but they do make a very convenient extendable and extendable and extendable work bench.:laugh_mini:

We are blessed with some good weather again so activities are currently taking place outdoors.

The day before yesterday I dug out two trenches (I have had lots of practice at digging these in the past) and we laid in 24 Hawthorn plants and a couple of small holly bushes to bolster a very scrubby hedge line at the front of the property.  It will mask the goings on in Muddy Hollow (Forward) from the kitchen window.  Yesterday the  turf was deployed onto the other side of the bank to fill in some potholes that have appeared due to the onslaught against the dandelions.

Scone making this afternoon.

That will be far more fun.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I set off to plumb in the rain collector in the yard at the end of the house. I was partially successful and need a couple of fittings to finish the job.  Whilst there and having stepladders to hand I also spent time taking ivy off the boundary wall then continued and cleared a lot of jungle from the corner of the yard. Whether or not any brownie points points wil be awarded for my efforts, I have yet to discover.

Lunch now awaits.

Jamie 

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for the domestic appliance repair man to arrive to fix the sprung loaded oven door.

I heard a definite 'twang' last weekend and have deduced the spring has failed. Replacing said spring entails removal of the built-in oven from the kitchen units, then dismantling of the side of the oven, so I have declined to attempt this myself.

Both sides' springs will hopefully be replaced, along with the door seal, which has now passed it's best.

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Today is the first day of the annual battle against the mole(s). Every year they appear in the garden from a different direction.....

I thought they always came upwards...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, coastalview said:

Today is the first day of the annual battle against the mole(s). Every year they appear in the garden from a different direction.....

Bury the little bu@@ers alive, oh hang on.:mda:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

It shows that you must have nice soil full of earthworms. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

Small consolation when we have a lawn full of mole hills :blink:

You could always get rid of them by digging a pit and fill it with water.

It would be nice to have a western outpost in which to wallow!

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
On 21/04/2021 at 08:18, jamie92208 said:

Or even one of these, though Dave H will have to sit down before viewing

582126180401i51khy5793875389929.jpg.5f499061ba1720378d3aff986e73e452.jpg

Jamie

17 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'll sit down automatically as the sight of Norfolk & Western superpower like this makes me weak at the knees. ...snip...

Dave

A double-shotted set of them blasting through Clapham Junction!!!! :drink_mini:

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, coastalview said:

Well, you get to play Whack-a-mole" with real moles! :jester:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

On one of our school cross country runs the farmer used to catch moles and hang them on the barbed wire above the dry stone wall (  Apparently Dales sheep could get over 12' walls but got completely confused by one strand of barbed wire on top of a 4' wall.).  Anyway as young teenagers we were always interested in how long it took for the corpses to decompose.   I was also interested in the view on the other side of the road of a small BR standard shunting the lime sidings at Giggleswick.

Jamie

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

You could always get rid of them by digging a pit and fill it with water.

It would be nice to have a western outpost in which to wallow!

We do have a stream at the bottom of the garden if that helps. Not sure the other occupier of this house and head gardener would approve of a Hippo wallow!

According to the mole catcher guy they are very strong swimmers.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A country tradition that has fallen out of fashion since the turn of the century, has been the habit of mole catchers nailing their victims to the gate of the property then had been working at.

They were pinned up, not as a deterrent to other moles, but to prove that the catcher had been doing his job.

I don't think I'd be very popular if I did this to the local rat population after I'd shot them.

We remove their remains all gloved up and even then with a pair of tongs, after which they are incinerated.  I don't like leaving them out for the buzzards and owls, as I don't want them ingesting the lead pellets we use.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Just had a very interesting Zoom talk by Nick Thompson of Southern Locomotives Ltd. He also showed us a replica Bulleid light pacific valve gear made from Meccano.

Bear can hear young Douglas reaching for the Meccano already....

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Prompted by the earlier comments re O Winston Link's books on the Norfolk & Western and it being my birthday on Sunday, I had a look online for some of the less common ones but gave the idea up when prices like £179 were involved.

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Prompted by the earlier comments re O Winston Link's books on the Norfolk & Western and it being my birthday on Sunday, I had a look online for some of the less common ones but gave the idea up when prices like £179 were involved.

Dave

I was given nearly twice that much for my copy of Ride the Sandy River!

Some of the American railway classics go for extraordinary sums of money.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1