Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Off to see the practice nurse shortly to have the op site on my hooter checked and the dressing changed. I'm getting ever so slightly fed up with it now and am hoping that it will finish healing this side of Christmas (oh, bu**er, I just mentioned the unmentionable. I wonder if there are decorations up in the shops yet?). I'm also contemplating getting a large badge made saying, "No, I haven't been in a fight."

In other news, following my cleaning, tidying and sorting out activities with my car and the garage yesterday I was foolish enough to offer to do Jill's car as well so that's the rest of my morning gone. Ah, well, maybe a few brownie points will be banked.

Have a good day all.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Off to see the practice nurse shortly to have the op site on my hooter checked and the dressing changed. I'm getting ever so slightly fed up with it now and am hoping that it will finish healing this side of Christmas (oh, bu**er, I just mentioned the unmentionable. I wonder if there are decorations up in the shops yet?). I'm also contemplating getting a large badge made saying, "No, I haven't been in a fight."

In other news, following my cleaning, tidying and sorting out activities with my car and the garage yesterday I was foolish enough to offer to do Jill's car as well so that's the rest of my morning gone. Ah, well, maybe a few brownie points will be banked.

Have a good day all.

Dave

I have to admit to the rest of the audience that when Dave visited the Hippodrome to collect Jamie's lead shot, I accused him of arriving to entertain my grandchildren with his clown face on... Such was the size of the dressing on his delicate little nose!

When inter-service banter gets going*, sympathy is not part of the vocabulary.

* It only needs one to see the other to start it off.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

"No, I haven't been in a fight."

Once I arrived for my first lesson of the week and of course my students noticed my bloodied knuckles. They asked what had happened and I told them I walked into a door. They wouldn’t believe me. I did try and explain I had been carrying a washing basket but the explanations just seemed to convince them I was covering up some brawl. They were a lovely group to teach. 

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have to admit to the rest of the audience that when Dave visited the Hippodrome to collect Jamie's lead shot, I accused him of arriving to entertain my grandchildren with his clown face on... Such was the size of the dressing on his delicate little nose!

When inter-service banter gets going*, sympathy is not part of the vocabulary.

I once knew an AAC QHI (Army Air Corps qualified helicopter instructor) who had had a tumour removed from his face that had left a very large scar. He was ex RAF and his old colleagues used to say that his facial disfigurement served him right as it was caused by sitting in an aeroplane being landed by an Army pilot. Sympathy? Found in the dictionary between sh!t and syphilis.

And as the saying goes, if God had meant the Army to fly he'd have painted the sky brown.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

I once knew an AAC QHI (Army Air Corps qualified helicopter instructor) who had had a tumour removed from his face that had left a very large scar. He was ex RAF and his old colleagues used to say that his facial disfigurement served him right as it was caused by sitting in an aeroplane being landed by an Army pilot. Sympathy? Found in the dictionary between sh!t and syphilis.

And as the saying goes, if God had meant the Army to fly he'd have painted the sky brown.

Dave

My brother who flew for BOAC, told a talevof an ex wartime RAF pilot who has a large scar on his face and got sympathy and drinks as a result of people believing that it was a war wound.  Apparently  the true story was that he had fallen down the steps of the Cairo Hilton when drunk one night.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

After watching some aerobatic flying and if I was on board any of the aircraft involved I would be painting the sky brown, but not with a brush. :jester:

• Funny 12

Well two shifts back at work and I'm ready for a holiday. Luckily not back in till Sunday now.

As to unfortunate injuries, when I was a young SM42 and playing second row in the school rugby team, I was unfortunate enough  to fall with  the middle finger of my right hand sticking out. ( stop making your own jokes at the back)

This was bad enough, but the addition of  16 stone prop forward landing on me bent the finger back almost  to my wrist. 

It wasn't designed for that and quite rapidly swelled up. 

Off to A&E and  I emerged with it strapped to the next finger for support and a large bandage around it all. 

As this was early November, I was always being asked if it was a firework related injury. 

As if I would be that daft. I have a brother for stuff like that 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

I once got badly cut in the last Rugby game i ever played. The scrum collapsed it was thought it was another player that had caused it with plastic  studs that had become worn down on a hard surface leaving sharp edges.

My Geography teacher at high school played rugby union for Pontefract and used to come to school in some right states

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Have a good day all.

Dave

I once did something like that. 

Some friends were staying as they had come back town to christen their second born. 

One of their friends also stayed as they were to be a godparent.

As I was washing my car, I offered to do hers too 

In those  days I was a bit fussier and cleaning also meant wax, polish  vacuuming and interior clean.

It took most of the day but it was the cleanest,  shiniest, rusty Metro in the country afterwards. 

The brownie point was  the comment made that she "could see out of the windows " :o

I dread to think how she managed to drive not seeing out of the windows.

Andy

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

I was unfortunate enough  to fall with  the middle finger of my right hand sticking out. ( stop making your own jokes at the back)

This was bad enough, but the addition of  16 stone prop forward landing on me bent the finger back almost  to my wrist. 

Very, very ouch.....:bo_mini::bo_mini:

• Agree 11

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

...snip... When inter-service banter gets going*, sympathy is not part of the vocabulary.

One of my favorite ones is to ask a U.S. Air Farce "hotsht" fighter pilot when was the last time that he trapped on a carrier ......................................at night ...........................in the rain ..........................in a cross wind!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To correct a punctuation error.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Once I arrived for my first lesson of the week and of course my students noticed my bloodied knuckles. They asked what had happened and I told them I walked into a door. They wouldn’t believe me. I did try and explain I had been carrying a washing basket but the explanations just seemed to convince them I was covering up some brawl. They were a lovely group to teach. 

Your proper answer should have been: "You should see the other guy!" :clapping:

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

Evening all,

I made a new piano box for the engine this evening, after a bit more fine grit sanding it should be done and ready for fitting. I’m not sure what wood it is, but I would say it’s a hardwood of some sort. 

Next up is finding a Gauge 1 LNWR Webb chimney casting, if anybody knows someone who sells one do say.

4224BCCC-83B9-4A51-98AD-CCA7201077B0.jpeg.dfd2e08c8f4233fa22bc25a195c8678c.jpeg

0272AA10-44E9-46E9-BF17-CB700BCC94BD.jpeg.9122549914bfb8e78d0640cba73dd1c0.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

One of my favorite ones is to ask a U.S. Air Farce "hotsht" fighter pilot when was the last time that he trapped on a carrier ......................................at night ...........................in the rain ..........................in a cross wind!

That reminded me of this - respect:

And whilst on the subject of Lynx, altitude is your friend:

(I particularly like the bit where the first guy out just walks away, leaving the second still in there - do you think the second guy may have been the pilot by any chance :laugh: (almost certainly, since Lynx are usually flown from the r/h seat)

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

That reminded me of this - respect:

Clearly demonstrating that the Lynx has/had perhaps the highest Ship-Helicopter Operating Limits (SHOL) of any UK aircraft, although those conditions may have been on the edge of that.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Clearly demonstrating that the Lynx has/had perhaps the highest Ship-Helicopter Operating Limits (SHOL) of any UK aircraft, although those conditions may have been on the edge of that.....

P571 is Danish.

Fleet Air Arm pilots don't get out of bed until it's twice that rough at sea.:laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

I think that the only pilot who ever used the term 'wizard prang' was the person who I believe invented it - Jimmy Edwards.

Having had two 'prangs' I don't recall anything wizard-like about either of them. Trouser wetting, yes.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12