Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Green panniers, right? :good:

***PICTURE CENSORED IN THE INTERESTS OF PUBLIC SAFETY***

Surely such photos should be preceded by a Gov Health Warning before appearing?  Bear nearly choked , sorry, barfed on his Sultana Bran when that appeared without warning....:scared:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

And go on for ever. .

1433608604_20211116_2005522.jpg.602275fcf897d96355d01c11408da7ea.jpg

Almost there...

As do Rover 214's....

IMG_5053.JPG.487ac6d5321c509588c8bc15ebf67e71.JPG

Ricky the Rover eventually went to the Great Trade-in In The Sky at 239K :cry: - driven there, too - and still with an MOT; sadly the engine management system/sensors etc. were sh@gged and driving it could be "interesting".  Ricky still secured Bear a £2K trade-in on the new Bearmobile - a.k.a. Mickey the MG.  I really miss Ricky though, and would buy another like a shot if they started building them again.  And as for these "people" (other words are far more accurate, but would lead Bear to a lifetime ban):

The so-called "Phoenix Four" of Peter Beale, John Towers, Nick Stephenson and John Edwards acquired Britain's last remaining volume car producer from BMW for a nominal £10 in 2000, with the enthusiastic backing of the then Labour government. They then spent the next five years pocketing huge awards (£42 million) before the firm collapsed in 2005, owing £1.3bn to creditors and putting thousands of people out of work.

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: etc.......

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I have never managed the 200k, but did 164k in an old Mk2 Astra.  It was spotted still on the road a year later, so i wonder what it managed!  It was....worn. In contrast I had a Citroen ZX that was in the low 100k's and drove like new, but the rot got into the inner wings.

As for Paneers - they come in a nice dirty black too.

771427023_20211104_1435201.jpg.6ebfdf63db833e49953144c7f9704838.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's not an uncommon  pastime for various local action groups to suggest that lines are reopened.

In many cases the old track beds have already been built over or converted into roads which really puts the brakes on such a scheme.

Last Friday evening, I was on the road (dual carriageway) between High Wycombe and Maidenhead. When you see the amount of traffic it seems impossible that there was ever a case for closing north from Bourne End.

Reopening there has been suggested but the line was built over long ago.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

The so-called "Phoenix Four" of Peter Beale, John Towers, Nick Stephenson and John Edwards acquired Britain's last remaining volume car producer from BMW for a nominal £10 in 2000, with the enthusiastic backing of the then Labour government. They then spent the next five years pocketing huge awards (£42 million) before the firm collapsed in 2005, owing £1.3bn to creditors and putting thousands of people out of work.

Emasculation using rusty razor blades without anaesthetic would be a good starting point for dealing with those scrotes.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Emasculation using rusty razor blades without anaesthetic would be a good starting point for dealing with those scrotes.

Dave

But you have to think of the feelings of those poor razor blades.

After such a traumatic experience it would be doubtful whether they would be able to cut in such a jagged and ragged way again.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Reaction to the Covid Booster jabs received yesterday are quite dissimilar.

Apart from  some mild soreness at the injection spot, which is normal after what appeared to be a 15mm dia gas pipe was rammed into my right arm, I'm fine.  Conversely, Nyda did not sleep well, had a generally uncomfortable night, and now feels as if she's been run over by a fleet of buses.

Perhaps it is the fact that it was the Pfizer jab and as this third injection was the same make as my first two, I am now fairly immune to any side effects, whereas the invalid's first pair were both AZ, so is suffering once more due to the different stuff.

Wiser and more knowledgeable scientists will no doubt be able to come up with a logical explanation and debunk my wild theories.

In the meantime I shall slink quietly around the house doing 'useful tasks', such as a little bit of soldering on the bracket unit of the signal I'm making, and making up some signal arms for painting.

Thoughts of making a more substantial pivot tube for the signal (A small block of brass drilled to slid over the post and with an offset cross hole for the signal arm pivot) might be a bit of overkill when compared to soldering two tubes together.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium

I was lucky enough to have no side effects from a Pfizer booster after AZ first shots except for a sore arm but Jill had slight cold type symptoms that lasted about 36 hours. As a wiser and more knowledgeable idiot scientist I think that the difference in reactions is all to do with the alignment of Sagittarius when you receive the booster.

Hunt Towers is still in a state of chaos as the lounge and dining room decoration progresses and now we are beginning the process of organising new carpets. All I want to organise is some modelling time but that possibility seems remote at present. On Jamie's scoring system for getting in the poo with SWMBOs goes I managed an albatross yesterday so things don't look too good.

Time to go before the depth gets too great.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I'm starting to wonder if there should be some complicated system for working out a handicap under Jamie's scoring.

I should be playing off an 18 at least.

Andy

I think I'm handicapped enough without any additional scoring required.

• Like 8
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

And go on for ever. .

1433608604_20211116_2005522.jpg.602275fcf897d96355d01c11408da7ea.jpg

Almost there...

I once took a Mercedes Benz taxi from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem. I remarked to the driver that is was a fine, classic MB and he proudly informed that he’d had it since new and had put 750000 km on the clock.

I wonder if the 2021 MBs will rack up such mileage/last as long as that one?

5 hours ago, polybear said:

..Surely such photos should be preceded by a Gov Health Warning before appearing? 

That’s GWRphobia that is, Bear. And I’m reporting you to AndyY.

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself, I thought that The Night Mail is a LNERSRGWRLMS+ friendly environment  and a safe space where one could admire the pregrouping railway of one’s choice without prejudiced comments.

Obviously not.

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

God, Dave, you ARE a softy, aren’t you? 

4 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I was lucky enough to have no side effects from a Pfizer booster after AZ first shots except for a sore arm but Jill had slight cold type symptoms that lasted about 36 hours. As a wiser and more knowledgeable idiot scientist I think that the difference in reactions is all to do with the alignment of Sagittarius when you receive the booster….

Er, not quite. The CDC has a great, informative, webpage about CoVID vaccines here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/how-they-work.html It also turns out that the FDA has a sense of humour*: After some clowns spread a rumour amongst the gullible, ignorant and just plain stupid that ivermectin (primarily used as veterinary drug to deworm animals) could be used to treat CoVID, the FDA tweeted: ““You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously, y'all. Stop it” (people have died from CoVID by self-treating with veterinary grade ivermectin).

* humour and US Government departments are not often known to go hand-in-hand… 

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 8
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Last Friday evening, I was on the road (dual carriageway) between High Wycombe and Maidenhead. When you see the amount of traffic it seems impossible that there was ever a case for closing north from Bourne End.

Reopening there has been suggested but the line was built over long ago.

As a frequent user of that road (the A404) I have to point out that very little of the traffic is local, mostly cutting between the M4 and M40 avoiding one of the most congested sections of the M25; this is especially true from Friday evenings to Sundays at the moment with weekend closures of the M4 for smartening. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself, I thought that The Night Mail is a LNERSRGWRLMS+ friendly environment  and a safe space where one could admire the pregrouping railway of one’s choice without prejudiced comments.

Obviously not.

PB being ursine is expected to make outrageous and bigoted comments about the Green and Wonderful Realm.

We just needle him by mentioning that it was 16xx panniers that ventured up into Scotland to be based at Dornoch when the other engines were so clapped out they could no longer cope.

Happy days (if you were a 16XX)

image.png.e7f880ad72983560f7875e827632845a.png

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well the 1660s were only between 3 and 9 years old, the W class HR locos were 53 and BR had given up on maintenance just about..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

...snip... You should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself, I thought that The Night Mail is a LNERSRGWRLMS+ friendly environment  and a safe space where one could admire the pregrouping railway of one’s choice without prejudiced comments. ...snip...

LNER SR GWR LMS + ???? Well, then, here is a "+" (ex-Eljin, Joliet & Eastern) for you :biggrin_mini::

660391897_Reply100_1025posted17jun18.JPG.b7a7c02b51b1f1d6c37b31b29029402b.JPG

I just realized that the other motor (ex-Chicago & North Western) might be of some interest also:

100_1023.JPG.ed61dfe3cd1c910db0a08596912d5c69.JPG

Taken in Toccoa, Georgia on 20aug11.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Landrovers  (Real ones with N/A or 200TDI or 300TDI engines) are renown for going on for ever. Engines that have been round the clock twice and opened up, have been found to still have their honing marks on the cylinders..

My 1984 L/R 110 probably about 250K on the clock, but at that age it may have had the clock changed..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

LNER SR GWR LMS + ???? Well, then, here is a "+" (ex-Eljin, Joliet & Eastern) for you :biggrin_mini::

660391897_Reply100_1025posted17jun18.JPG.b7a7c02b51b1f1d6c37b31b29029402b.JPG

I just realized that the other motor (ex-Chicago & North Western) might be of some interest also:

100_1023.JPG.ed61dfe3cd1c910db0a08596912d5c69.JPG

Taken in Toccoa, Georgia on 20aug11.

Please don't get me started on Georgia short lines, or any other short line in the USA/Canada.

I was very keen to build a short line based in Nebraska, but I really would be spreading my time and railway budget far too thinly.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I once took a Mercedes Benz taxi from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem. I remarked to the driver that is was a fine, classic MB and he proudly informed that he’d had it since new and had put 750000 km on the clock.

I wonder if the 2021 MBs will rack up such mileage/last as long as that one?

Taxi drivers often rack up this sort of mileage and more. I wonder what the mileage is on all those old Peugeots that one sees in Africa.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Taxi drivers often rack up this sort of mileage and more. I wonder what the mileage is on all those old Peugeots that one sees in Africa.

Not long before Rover's final demise, I met a Glasgow minicab driver who said he was very disappointed with a Rover 600 he'd had to replace after less than four years and 160,000 miles.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7