Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I believe a licence to extract water from standpipes costs in excess of 20k thats what figure we were quoted by management at the council when it was suggested for filling the recycle tanks on sweepers 

I find the Environment Agency has a strange attitude to licencing

If you want to fish in a river, you need a licence from the Environment Agency

If you want to discharge something into the river, you need a licence from the Environment Agency.

If you want to extract water, you need a licence from the Environment Agency

If that river comes into your house then it's not the Environment Agency's problem

Andy

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought France played very well for the last 15 minutes or so.

Jamie

They did, Wales took their foot off the gas, and their subsequent attempt at acceleration was not going to happen.

There were mistakes made on both sides, but I thought the refereeing was excellent.

Edit: Missed an f in off... That sounds bad!

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

That's it, I'm never watching rugby again.

Well, not until next week anyway.

It's a shame that we're in lockdown or I could be at the Muddy Hollow indulging in mutual spirit raising  getting pi**ed with HH.

Dave

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I want to know whether Dave heard the groans from the South West, similar to RMS Titanic's boilers collapsing as she sank, at the last French try?

I did wonder what the noise I dimly perceived through my sobs was.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I can confirm that there were no fireworks, cheering or other celebrations in our village last night.  

However  some friends are due to call later with a surprise being mentioned. I suspect that either cake or scones might be involved.

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

From the days when route-learning meant a bit more work!

One of W.A. Tuplin's footplate narratives* has the driver instructing his fireman to look out for "four greens and forty reds".

*To be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Like 8
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Who? What? Where? 

Is this one of those post-match graphics?

image.png.6ba469167e4f4f9d8fd610fee0ac9fb0.png

That kept the lampman busy and fit

A whole shift doing the lamps.

In reality not that many signals to look out for here.  Knowing which one out of the group across the top  is the trick.

The lower group  are co acting for when you are held at the signal, making them easier to see from close up.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, SM42 said:

In reality not that many signals to look out for here.  Knowing which one out of the group across the top  is the trick.

The lower group  are co acting for when you are held at the signal, making them easier to see from close up.

Yes, and I think the design was also driven by wanting to give the signalman a line-of-sight once the Great Central bridge was in the way (under construction in the photo). The GC paid for this, as their bridge would have disrupted enginemen's sighting of the previous signalling.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No sign or should that be signal, of Big H this morning. One assumes he's recovering from drowning his sorrows last night.

Bacon and egg butty anyone?

:yes:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No sign or should that be signal, of Big H this morning. One assumes he's recovering from drowning his sorrows last night.

Bacon and egg butty anyone?

Up early and in the garden. Listened to Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb'  followed by the Stones and 'Paint it Black'

All the French stuff from the house has been put into the incinerator for a big burn. when I'll listen to AC/DC 'Highway to Hell'.

Bacon and eggs for lunch.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A tragedy of immense proportions has occurred.

Sam, Georgie's mother has sold her house and will be moving in the near future.

This means that I will no longer be in a position of offer a free tasting service for any of Georgie's experiments in the cakes and pastries department. (Although once she goes back to London, the flow will be greatly diminished.)

Woe is me.

I shall end up a shadow of my former self!

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SM42 said:

That kept the lampman busy and fit

A whole shift doing the lamps.

Andy

Part of the agreement for building the gantry was that the GC maintain it. O S Nock tells the tale, in Steam Railways in Retrospect, that the bridge was one of those used by the Bridge Stress Committee. Apparently  there was some sort of presentation when a picture of the bridge and gantry was shown. One of the LMS men remarked that it was their biggest gantry and an LNER voice chimed in with "and the best maintained to.".

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I have spent most of the day in the garden.

I now work on the principle of stopping when I feel I need to, rather than push on to finish.

This is paying off as I am able to return to the garden the next day without feeling stiff or tired.

The new electric rotivator was rigorously tested, and has been passed fit for service.

Nyda had a go, and claimed that it was much simpler, lighter and easier to handle than the petrol variety.  So she is going to have another session tomorrow.

I'm married to a Tiller Girl!

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We arrived safely back in Tulsa last night, to the jubilation of the cats, and myself. This is because I had bought a very well priced Meccano motor off eBay while in Santa Fe and it arrived yesterday, along with some other things. 

Today after some testing the motor was fitted to “Gerald” the crane. Really it needs the armature removing and cleaning, that should be done tonight. Here’s a video:

A few photos:

B4152B4E-1876-4EC5-B050-0A84C124AECE.jpeg.b0d1110effc699bdcdb9ed51f96357cc.jpeg

ED732FBA-8BF9-43BF-990A-E9C91757E283.jpeg.0be59f81fd3279c63eed6f6e43d3fbae.jpeg

1875567A-8838-42F0-B662-7EC1D2694979.jpeg.67559d7c276afe6bf23afc26243bf993.jpeg

Douglas

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 6