Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

That's easy; there's green ones, black ones, some with GWR on the sides, some with BR thingies on the sides, clean ones (rare), dirty ones (more common), a few red ones (much more attractive) and ones that are so mucky that none of the aforementioned apply. Are there any other classifications?

Dave

The red ones were usually the dirtiest.

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

GN&SR!

Jenny Agutter knows about pannier tanks, she even ripped off her undergarments to flag one down!

:maninlove::crazy:;):nono:

3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A battered electric vehicle. 

They usually come with chips.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

Not bl**dy expensive version 

6 grand for batteries thats a hell of a lot of AAs from Argos

In my last job in the military I was responsible for provisioning batteries for all three services.

Istr it was around £20M annually!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Didn't the Midland have a Battery Electric Loco (BEL) for shunting some goods depot in London. That was probably painted red.

Jamie

North Staffordshire.

image.png.9562aa581ecc4ad35b60341057dad484.png

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

Afternoon all,

I have the day off today for Easter break, and decided to do some live steamery. So I got out my 1924 Weeden Mfg Co engine and boiler plant, which over the summer I restored (with advice from HH) back to operating condition. It was then mounted on a varnished board, along with a fake archaic looking dynamo which is in fact a motor from an old shower vent fan. 

The lamp is from Lionel, but isn’t connected to the dynamo as the dynamo is non functional. At some point I’ll get round to buying a PMR boiler hand feed pump and plum that into the boiler so long runs can be had. The first photo below shows the engine after I bought it off the Bay of E, the others were taken today. As one can see I repainted it into a more “accurate” livery, as the red just didn’t sit well with me. 

105CA1CE-F57B-4EC2-A605-F17C7ACDDEB3.jpeg.d47288e6c0d25bc42ee58322a87e4c60.jpeg

9E8018EB-1A7E-4E28-B483-7A80B045187C.jpeg.0c060e1674e38274d23a574481f5191c.jpeg

C5D3AC86-FE70-46A4-A20E-1DE78239DAE0.jpeg.9d971a3db8be205f4ab758a19d1e2a9b.jpeg

Douglas

51EA4485-CF94-4CEE-AC0A-C634871265F3.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I bet you could built one fairly easily if you could get hold of a wagon chassis and several beefy motors etc. 

Connesiuer models make a kit for the  Midland one.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/&do=reactComment&comment=4384111&reaction=1&csrfKey=4f42853ae72468538fa734c723c817b9

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Just the one battery electric locomotive:

image.png.05cb5688b6ed4c90b3c4de5adaec5afb.png

Photo taken on 2 Feb 1914. [NRM DY 10161, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.] In Midland Style, it is said to be painted black (it was, after all, a goods engine) with pale yellow lettering.

But plenty of BEVs:

image.png.0eb7ac4ee5cfc9fc7dcc056f315c69c1.png

Feeding time at St Pancras Goods, 11 July 1917. [NRM DY 10641, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.]

• Like 6
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I was up early to make a fruit loaf.

Somebody complained about the mixer noise at 0700.

Pointing out that the loaf was made at her behest to be ready for 1000, seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

It's in the oven now, so there is a chance that it might not make the 1000 deadline....

Having been consumed before that point!

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

behest to be ready for 1000, seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Was this to provide sustenance for the expedition to retrieve the dead battery car or celebrate its safe return?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Was this to provide sustenance for the expedition to retrieve the dead battery car or celebrate its safe return?

T'would have been 24 hours too late for the expedition, and the celebration took the form of a cider infusion.

Baking is just a natural function

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1