New Bachmann Wagon - (not) Plastic Wheels

meatloaf

My model arrived the other day. (have a few wagons and tanks in Express Dairies liveries now, and am eagerly awaiting the matching Hornby DS48).

Anyway - I Just checked the wheels on my Bachmann 37-807.

Definitely metal wheels, either chemically blacked or possibly painted. Not conducting from one side to the other of the same rim.

Removed and rubbed hard on an old section of track and metal just start to show through.

I did wonder about this on my running lines so have changed for the same/similarly profiled 36-015 Bachmann wheels!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

That's a blast from the past. The comparatively accurate GMR body moulding as opposed to the vertically challenged version being pedalled by Bachmann.

For a very reasonable £1.49 the more accurate body in "Any livery you like colour scheme" is still available from Dapol.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/50888/dapol_b019_unpainted_wagon_body_lms_vb3_vent_van/stockdetail.aspx

20200710_112615.jpg.1ac99688774e1d8911ff0778ab21907b.jpg

Scrubs up quite nicely too.

Mike.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

As do I, Butler, including an old Airfix LMS sliding door body on a Parkside chassis, but the OP states that this is a new wagon picked up the day he posted from his local model shop, and it is in the current Branchline online catalogue as currently available at £21.95.  I notice that 1-plankers are available at £16.95 and might go for a couple as chassis donors; there are still some old and acceptable van bodies in the scrap box.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

That's a shame, I thought I'd missed a new source of chassis for kitbashing !

It is. PA16 has served well but could do with a rework - the axleboxes are dire and the springs are distinctly weedy. And it has BR axleguards.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, class37418stag said:

I has brought three Railfreight VDA has plastic wheels so I will buy replacements metal wheels fit my Railfreight VDA

Don't bother; they're metal wheels.

In fact Bachmann have confirmed that all of the current models discussed in this topic do have metal wheels but they have an updated wheel-blackening process.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

47 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

In fact Bachmann have confirmed that all of the current models discussed in this topic do have metal wheels but they have an updated wheel-blackening process.

Perhaps the VDAs are  Hornby modesl which would have plastic wheels

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks Andy.

Had just looked at a VDA and noticed same, so was just thinking what you had already confirmed!

• Thanks 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 11:12, Porcy Mane said:

...The comparatively accurate GMR body moulding...

Someone on this forum must know who was behind the subject selections for the Airfix GMR range; however it came about, the best choices for a RTR OO wagon range until Bachmann got going in their Blue Riband phase. The only 17'6" length five plank general merchandise open - reasonably representative of what all the Big Four constructed in the late 30s - to be found in RTR. The LMS brake van, lowmac, steel and wooden twin side door 20T minerals, I could drone on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2020 at 10:43, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Someone on this forum must know who was behind the subject selections for the Airfix GMR range; however it came about, the best choices for a RTR OO wagon range until Bachmann got going in their Blue Riband phase. The only 17'6" length five plank general merchandise open - reasonably representative of what all the Big Four constructed in the late 30s - to be found in RTR. The LMS brake van, lowmac, steel and wooden twin side door 20T minerals, I could drone on.

Bob Essery certainly worked with Airfix on the 4F - I can remember how pleased he was at an HMRS meeting. So a fair chance he also assisted with at least some of the others. 

Its completely off topic but Lima did a pretty good job of choosing contemporary private owner wagons - the Bogie Iron ore tippler, Grain, PGA, UKF fertiliser, depressed center dry powder - come to immediate mind.

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Its completely off topic but Lima did a pretty good job of choosing contemporary private owner wagons - the Bogie Iron ore tippler, Grain, PGA, UKF fertiliser, depressed center dry powder - come to immediate mind...

Let us politely draw a veil over their bogie tank wagon prominently branded for Milk with a data panel for Benzin, Essence, etc.:D

9 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Bob Essery certainly worked with Airfix on the 4F - I can remember how pleased he was at an HMRS meeting. So a fair chance he also assisted with at least some of the others. 

Its completely off topic but Lima did a pretty good job of choosing contemporary private owner wagons - the Bogie Iron ore tippler, Grain, PGA, UKF fertiliser, depressed center dry powder - come to immediate mind.

Paul

There were also nice models of the TEA, Bolster E, bogie ballast hopper, and the various bits of NPCCS they did. Such a shame about the running gear on some of them...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

With renewed interest in this topic I thought I'd take a photo of the 'offending' wheels, so that those that haven't seen them would understand why.

903.JPG.0819dec55e991b5524680c8ee353495d.JPG

Hornby on the left, new Bachmann in middle, actual plastic wheels at right.

'In the flesh' they are easily mistaken for plastic.

• Informative/Useful 2

• AY Mod locked this topic