"Welsh Highland Railway Developments & Progress"?

Nice photos of the works at Minnfford. FR say that when the bridge is being installed that they will run PM onto WHR rails.

Had some information on the trip last weekend about Phase 5. This is classed as finishing the railway. Money to pay for

Caernarfon station

New trains - built to FR loading for the Snowdonia through train

Station building/cafe at Beddgelert

Station improvements at Blaenau Ffestiniog

Signalling improvements

This in particular cannot be unexpected, given the presence of a large concrete slab at the station site - I would imagine that a sympathetically architectural style will be used....

The true historic style, of course, would be from the corrugated iron school of architecture, but somehow I presume that the National Park wouldn't be too keen on that particular tradition being upheld. :)

Had an email the other day from Ffestiniog Travel offering weekend accomodation in Caernarfon and a full trip on the WHR to PM. Binned the email so can't remember the date of the first service train but see the WHR.FR website. Looking on the site on 20/2/2011 to 27/2/2011 there are trains one from PM the other from Caernarfon.

That national park actually blocked such designs. Although outside the park: http://www.welshhighlandheritage.co.uk/PCroesor.htm

Indeed, though apparently the WHR historical people are actually placing two such huts in situ - one in Beddgelert itself, the other somewhere else that escapes me at the moment.

Driving today in Ceredigion I was passed by a lorry carrying what appeared to be the mortal remains of a very battered 'tin tabernacle' of just this sort; it made me consider just how long some of these cheap and temporary structures have survived in fair condition, even in the rather damp Welsh climate!

• 11 months later...

Just thought I'd wander over to the WHHR website for some news, and was quite dismayed to find that nothing significant has happened to the railway since August 2010.

http://cms.whr.co.uk/news.xhtml

I would have expected some of the content of this report to have featured on their own website

http://www.festrail.co.uk/content/publish/whrnews/WHHR_test_train.shtml

• RMweb Gold

I suspect the sea-change in relations between the two companies, as well as new faces at WHRR has altered their priorities. The news page still contains the sad tales of the past. Things I have read elsewhere say that WHR had a very successful year in passengers and receipts, and it is inconceiveable that some of that success will not have rubbed off on WHHR, with extra visitors "while we're up here" having a look there too, and hopefully spending a bit of money. Only a couple of weeks ago WHHR assisted WHR with access for a footcrossing at the Cae Pawb.

This site seems a bit more jolly. http://www.whr.co.uk/

I suspect the sea-change in relations between the two companies, as well as new faces at WHRR has altered their priorities. The news page still contains the sad tales of the past. Things I have read elsewhere say that WHR had a very successful year in passengers and receipts, and it is inconceiveable that some of that success will not have rubbed off on WHHR, with extra visitors "while we're up here" having a look there too, and hopefully spending a bit of money. Only a couple of weeks ago WHHR assisted WHR with access for a footcrossing at the Cae Pawb.

This site seems a bit more jolly. http://www.whr.co.uk/

Thanks for that Ian.

Same banner heading on the website, but a totally different feeling being conveyed - as you say - more jolly.

I do hope WHHR can put the past behind them and move forward, because one message on their site offered a very negative message to the browsers

• Like 1

The WHHR does seem to give the 'family' group a better package than the longer WHR/FR combine. For many youngsters they want a train ride but a long one and they have not got the stamina to enjoy the journey. Also the trip round the museum helps break the trip and adds interest to the visit.

I always enjoy visiting the WHHR except that I often spend quite a bit in the very good shop!

The WHR probably has more info on http://phase5.org.uk/ about what's happening.

The Welsh highland is narrow gauge????

but the train i saw in the highlands was normal.

The WHHR (heritage one) seems to have a nice gift shop especialy for N gaugers (only OO wagons and a few other things, mostly GF).

so is the ffestinog not narrow gauge or is their another one?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The work to widen the cob is now under way with 25,000 tons of stone per day bieng tipped on the seward side of the cob. This will make room for an extra platform road so that Welsh Higland Trains don't have to be reveresed into the station after being drawn forward onto the cob. The festiniog have set up a camera and are posting timelapse videos of the work each day (about 3 minutes long) they are here (FRWebsite) They arew well worth watching. Day 3 must have been when there were gales, just watch the water blowing over the cob.

• RMweb Premium

Great work being done - but I'm not sure it's 25,000 tonnes per day - I think that's the total. How many lorry-loads per day would that be? Lots!

That's what they quote on their website and on Isengard.co.uk Though i must admit that 1000 pluss loads per day seems a tad excessive.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Great work being done - but I'm not sure it's 25,000 tonnes per day - I think that's the total. How many lorry-loads per day would that be? Lots!

Well, seeing the speed they are working in the film.......

When I go down next weekend I'll find out where the quarry is that is producing 25,000 tons of stone per day and transporting it to Port. The lorries must be backing up along the cob and down the high street. The average 8 wheeler will be taking a load of 21/23 ton each trip. So that's over a 1000 lorry loads in 8 hours. 4 loads a minute at least.

Somehow, I think there's a least one too many noughts on that figure. Work is expected to go for quiet a few weeks yet so at over 125,000 ton a week we expect that part of Wales to sink slowly in the Irish Sea just in time for re-opening. lol

I would go as far to say at least three noughts too much, even at 25 tons per day that would take some doing in the space they have to work in !!

You're certainly wrong about 25 tons per day, if you go to the FR website they have a camera doing a condensed day by day record of the work and you can count the number of 20 ton lorry loads per day. However 25,000 tons is the total figure they quote to do the job.

Phil T.

• 2 weeks later...

Slate waste is also pretty soft, whereas stone from Minffordd is syenite, a type of granite. This will not be broken-up and washed away so easily by the action of the sea. If much more comes off the top of the arry we'll have to change the name of our house to "Snowdon View"!

• 8 years later...
On 26/05/2010 at 20:10, Oldddudders said:

It is a long-running and complex dispute. I think they (WHHR) knew the limitations of their own likely future expansion, and recognised early on that they risked being steamrollered by the FR machine. It is a shame that the two companies can't work together for the common good and, as PaulRHB points out, at grass-roots level there are probably plenty of FR/WHR people who would welcome doing just that.

There was a previous RMWeb thread on this in which many views were expressed. I just think it's bad for all concerned, and ultimately may mean less money being spent by punters overall, which is silly.

I just stumbled on this in an attempt to find out if barrie Hughes is OK and going to keep his www going.

Look at the situation ten years on and thank goodness there is positivity between the two camps.  Two years ago little had changed.

Russell to Beddgelert at last.  A successful and size appropriate loco like that deserves to have a proper run on its original home.