NER Steam reverse gear

Jon4470

I’m hoping that someone will be able to help me with a query regarding the North Eastern Railway steam reversing gear.

I’m currently finishing off a model of the Raven A2 (No 2401). One area that I’m working on is the pipework (on the right hand side of the boiler) that controls the steam reverse. Two problems....most photos seem to be of the other side, and I don’t really know the prototype arrangement very well.

The best photo that I have found is in North Eastern Record vol3. Although the Westinghouse pump gets in the way a bit, I have drawn up what I can see as:

IMG_1130.jpeg.6b9854e79ffd81c01db91ccfa83a96ff.jpeg

Does anyone one know if that is a correct interpretation of the photo? (With all due apologies for my poor engineering drawing skills!)

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jon

Edited by Jon4470

Hi Mick

Lovely looking model.

Thanks for the link to the photos. One of them in particular shows the detail I wanted - the one of 2403 at York c1936. 

I think your model model shows the situation after the steam reverse was replaced. The below photo (from a postcard that I have - sorry about the quality) shows the steam linkage coming down from the hand rail and then running above the middle splasher.

IMG_1131.jpeg.93f7a8e7e549ef69f91cb94b6a7d683b.jpeg

The photo of 2403 on Rail Online is much more clear - I’ll be studying it this week!

So, it looks to me that there was a lever in the cab that controlled a rod that passed through the centre of the handrail. The vertical and horizontal links that I see in the photos then, I guess, actuated a valve to admit steam to the reverser.

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Do you want a better view of the pipework on this side of the engine, I have a number of JJ Cunningham negs of which ones of 2400 and 2403 are already in part scanned?

Thank you that would be very helpful.

PM sent

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Hi Jon,

PM sent. For others to enjoy here are a couple of negatives from the lens of JJ Cunningham, who was a Barrister in Edinburgh who took nearly 2500 negatives from the 1920s to 40s , mainly around Edinburgh, Carlisle and Annam with of course all of the diversity of the time. Among them of course were some of the NER Pacific's working into Edinburgh of which a few have been scanned. 

2408 unsure where 

2408.JPG.b9915292141c8b7f42ef32a05527b349.JPG

I hold the copyright on all these images which are not to be reproduced elsewhere without my agreement (sadly there has been one person who has not respected mine and other peoples copyright and thinks it should not matter or apply to them)

I hope they are of use to anyone modelling these interesting pacifics

Its 2403.  Not 2408.

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Its 2403.  Not 2408.

I always love it when you post information to help people and the response is not, thanks what lovely images but a curtly written reply. Next time I will keep them to PMs to save replies like yours. Yes this sort of reply does frustrate me. 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

I always love it when you post information to help people and the response is not, thanks for the information  but a curtly written reply.   It's 2403, Numbers ran from 2400–2404. It can only be 2403.

To make it easy the images have been taken down., my apologies to other members that I feel this necessary  but I do not come on here for responses in such a tone. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Many thanks to everyone for the photos. Apologies for the delayed response...I’ve just been very busy and pre-occupied with work at the back end of the week.

I think I now have the information that I needed......just need a bit if time (and a clear head) to put it into practice.

As a by product I have also been reminded to watch out for this detail on the next Q6 and B16 builds:)

Jon

1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

A scan of a photocopy so obviously not the best. Original article the Journal of the HMRSoc c1985.  There is also an in depth survey of these engines in the "North Eastern Express" the NERA quarterly news letter of a few years ago.

2402 Raven Pacific. .jpg

Hello Mick

Thanks for the photos - and the reminder about the North Eastern Express article. I have that one somewhere in my filing “system”......I think I need to be more diligent about noting down interesting/ useful articles!

This scan is very useful because it’s broadside and the pipework isn’t in shadow. Interesting as well because there is no Westinghouse Brake pump even though it looks like the loco is brand new.

Jon

• Like 1

The weather has been lousy today so ( as an upside) I’ve put the reversing gear together. The overall view looks like this:

IMG_1140.jpeg.2d8187d1eb1465ef1fcd4e10d1817087.jpeg

Just like on the real thing, it is in shadow and indistinct:)

The cruel close ups are:

IMG_1137.jpeg.83c9f3e623bdbbf7182503a48a2e372c.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg.95a74d16fa73cda5ca517764d05b63e4.jpeg

All put put together using wire, tube, scrap etch and some shoulderless hand rail knobs.

Although the close ups reveal a few imperfections - I did try to get the levers from the handrail and the lower rod parallel - I don’t think they show when viewing the loco as a whole. I’ll give it a few days and look again. My worry is that if I touch any of this with a soldering iron I’ll end up back at square one!

Next step will be to work out the Westinghouse brake pump and plumbing.

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made some progress with the pump.

A photo in North Eastern Express shows no 2400 in photographic grey and clearly shows the backing plate for the pump.

So I cut some scrap etch to size and added a 1mm strip to the bottom to represent the bracket that held the plate to the footplate. I’ll add rivets later from Archers transfers.

I had a Westinghouse house pump from Markits in the spares box that seemed to be the correct size - the original on the loco was a bit undernourished. 

After a fruitless attempt to solder the pump to the backing plate - one of those times when I knew I shouldn’t have tried but still did - tonight I pinned the pump to the backing plate with a piece of wire inserted into drilled holes in the pump and plate.

A further piece of vertical wire behind the plate gives a secure fixing to the footplate.

A small step forward!

IMG_1154.jpeg.419d313e40e31c62cab62d5be2add9e7.jpeg

The assembly is just resting there at the moment. I’ll be fitting the pipe runs next and that will be easier off the loco. The nicely turned pipes and flanges on the pump will have to come off - they’re too big!

The hand rail is supposed to curve around the top of the pump.......that is one modification that I won’t Be doing:)

Jon

Edited by Jon4470
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, micklner said:

Might be easier to add after painting ?

Thanks Mick, that’s a good idea.

It’s the sort of thing that I do naturally with plastic kits (paint sub assemblies then glue together)

Somehow with metal kits I always end up soldering everything and then painting.

Jon

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micklner said:

Jon or anyone else ??.

Just started a LRM kit of the LNER B16 . The Steam Reverser has been simply  ignored in the kit. Does anyone have close up photos of its layout?,  as nearly all of the above photos are sadly AWOL .

Thanks

Mick

Did the B16s have steam reversing gear, I always thought they were more like that on a D20. 

• RMweb Premium

Try this one: https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p114460009/h13e6779b#h13e6779b

The preserved Q7 has the same layout. Sadly I took just about everything else but the reverser:

20180817_151711.jpg.dd20fd0821c3fa24758f83c2f39a2ac4.jpg

A couple more from Flickr (not mine) from Gillett's Crossing and Keith Clark respectively:

LNER Q7 0-8-0 901 (1919) Head of Steam, Darlington 30.06.2009 P6300108 IMG_3193

Simon

Edited by 65179
Added Flickr images
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2023 at 18:13, micklner said:

Jon or anyone else ??.

Just started a LRM kit of the LNER B16 . The Steam Reverser has been simply  ignored in the kit. Does anyone have close up photos of its layout?,  as nearly all of the above photos are sadly AWOL .

Thanks

Mick

Hi Mick

I have a couple of easily available photos.

my A2 model ended up like this…(I know you should not model a model🙂)

IMG_1137.jpeg.5b3f0f82eaa1181ff0595918dc60aca0.jpeg

One of the missing photos was this.. apologies that it’s a poor quality photo

IMG_1131.jpeg.acd0e6cfe983387c87b6c888c04ddec6.jpeg

I’ll have a dig around to see if I have any other photos….especially the B16.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1