Timeout error 524

Having this continuously now. Simply cannot access "Content I follow" at all. Hopeless.

Andy - please fix the code. It has to be the code. You give me a url link that works, I browse the site for a week or so doing nothing at all except click links within RMWeb and then the error returns. Its been like this since a short time after the new site software was introduced and that is... how long ago now? Two years? About time this was looked at properly.

Edited by Martin S-C

1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

Having this continuously now. Simply cannot access "Content I follow" at all. Hopeless.

Andy - please fix the code. It has to be the code. You give me a url link that works, I browse the site for a week or so doing nothing at all except click links within RMWeb and then the error returns. Its been like this since a short time after the new site software was introduced and that is... how long ago now? Two years? About time this was looked at properly.

I'm messing around with things at the moment.

In part of the url for content I follow it usually has index.php?/discover/  then a number, replace the number with followed-content

KEEP A NOTE OF THE ORIGINAL NUMBER IF YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL URL.

Edited by Donington Road

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to be signed in or your browser remembers that you are signed in, then enter this url for your content you follow page.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/followed-content/

The only downside I see at the moment is that every unread post to whatever you follow is displayed, multiple posts are not condensed into one topic.

Edited by Donington Road
unread added

Hm, close but no cigar. That doesn't produce the format I prefer to use which is topics only with the detail condensed.

I'm trying to save that as a new stream but it simply won't let me. The timer indicating its talking to the server runs indefinitely. Its been doing that all day. I recently updated to the latest version of Firefox and its got worse.

Edited by Martin S-C

1 minute ago, Martin S-C said:

Hm, close but no cigar. That doesn't produce the format I prefer to use which is topics only with the detail condensed.

Agreed, it is not good but at least you can finally get to the page.

The condensed button doesn't seem to work.

I think the number that was in the original url is perhaps your id.

I have used various numbers but they all time out.  It was only by creating a brand new account that I found the difference between a number and followed-content.

Perhaps the RMweb drive issue mentioned at the top of the page may be having a bearing on this problem we are having with the time out issue.

Maybe wait awhile and see if fixing that cures this as well.  In the mean time I can live with the un-condensed headings as it is just nice to be able to get to the list of followed topics again.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

Andy - please fix the code. It has to be the code.

It does annoy me when you tell me what I should do; it's far from the first time. I do not write the code, it's proprietary software with additional modifications, none of which relate to this issue.

So, please, pipe down when you don't know what you're espousing.

I am irritated because there has been a complete failure to fix this after so many issues involving so many people and for so long.

There is nowhere for the issue to be except in the code or in people's profiles, unless its just a poorly configured server.

Saying its proprietary software doesn't help your case. Its software. It will have bugs. It seems like a number of the community members have found one, or more. If its not your code then I assume you approached the vendor a very long time ago to resolve this, when the issue arose - what was their response?

"with additional modifications"

Well, how do you KNOW they haven't caused this issue? Changing code in one area can do some very weird things in other areas.

I think given how long this has been going on this community's members deserve to have it fixed. The site is not much more than a big inconvenience to use and it all appears to boil down to the user profile and "content I follow" database or command.

EDIT: Just now, for the first time today after hours of timeouts, the "content I follow" option has worked. Perhaps checking my profile activity may reveal something.

Edited by Martin S-C

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

The site is not much more than a big inconvenience to use

Well, don't.  I can fix that for you (fairly happily) as I am not a dancing puppet for you - but not the software issue.

• Round of applause 1

On 29/06/2021 at 18:59, Martin S-C said:

I'm trying to save that as a new stream but it simply won't let me. The timer indicating its talking to the server runs indefinitely. Its been doing that all day. I recently updated to the latest version of Firefox and its got worse.

Martin, I have got the content condensed at last by changing two of the default settings.

You have to do it in this order for it to work, change the Time Period, I chose 28 days.  Then change the Show Me to Content items only.  Then click Save Changes.

You will notice the url now changes back to a number rather than the followed-content.  Save this new link.  Close your browser and open again with the new link.

Screen grab of my settings below, hope this helps.

2021-06-30_20-51-57.jpg.de267e8ad1a7154f18737f1b1dda14ef.jpg

Edited by Donington Road

Interesting point - I hadn't looked at the time period on my search.   It was set to 365 days (is that a default?  I don't recall amending it).  I've dropped it to 7 days.   I'll see what that does to performance.

i have no idea whether it makes a difference, but my landing page is 'Content I have posted in' rather than 'Content I follow'.   I can see that that might be a much broader search.

3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Interesting point - I hadn't looked at the time period on my search.   It was set to 365 days (is that a default?  I don't recall amending it).  I've dropped it to 7 days.   I'll see what that does to performance.

i have no idea whether it makes a difference, but my landing page is 'Content I have posted in' rather than 'Content I follow'.   I can see that that might be a much broader search.

365 days is the default.

Just altering that to 28 days did not group content followed.  I had to alter the Show me to Content Items Only as well to get the grouping to work.

It has been running like this for over 12 hours now and the page now loads instantly every time and I must have tried it at least 50 times now, very happy now that it is usable again.:good:

On 29/06/2021 at 19:16, AY Mod said:

It does annoy me when you tell me what I should do; it's far from the first time. I do not write the code, it's proprietary software with additional modifications, none of which relate to this issue.

So, please, pipe down when you don't know what you're espousing.

Andy, after a lot of experimenting with the options in the Content I Follow page trying to irradicate the time out issue Martin and I have reached a conclusion that the Time Period setting is causing the problems we have had.  I am using a setting of 28 days, Martin is using 14 weeks.  At a setting of 28 weeks the time out issue re-appeared for him.  As Martins says in the scanned post below, the problem lies somewhere between 28 weeks and 14 weeks.

I hope this information is helpful in tracing the problem that maybe effecting other people too.

martin1.jpg.3440eacc3357d757266403d0203e3520.jpg

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

I hope this information is helpful in tracing the problem

I appreciate that but there is something local to the user (whether as a result of site usage or local equipment/connection) which is the issue rather than server-side otherwise it would be the same for all.

Hence, it's near impossible to detect and resolve. Just shouting at me to fix it wasn't going to help his cause.

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I appreciate that but there is something local to the user (whether as a result of site usage or local equipment/connection) which is the issue rather than server-side otherwise it would be the same for all.

Thanks Andy, the local equipment/connection maybe something else that we can look into at our end.  It is a good job I like doing a bit of detective work :pilot:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed to break my "my posts button, 524 error, so I made a new one with the same name that would overwrite the broken button -right-wrong-  I now have 2 buttons one of which works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Yes the last two evenings have been punctuated with 522 failures but the night before last there was a 2 hour or so outage and some rather strange things happening (tabs not working, reply boxes impossible to put any message in etc..)

• RMweb Gold

I've been gettting an odd one for the past week - I get a timeout on 'Wheeltappers' - but nothing else, all the other fora work correctly, and I can access threads within wheeltappers if I go through another feed (e.g. "content I posted in"). I get the same behaviour in different browsers on different devices too. 

Anyone else seeing this, or is it just me? 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Anyone else seeing this, or is it just me? 

There have been a few sticky periods over the weekend and on Monday but I've not had anything in the last 18 hours or so.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

There have been a few sticky periods over the weekend and on Monday but I've not had anything in the last 18 hours or so.

Thanks - it seems a particularly odd one, as it doesn't seem to be affecting anyone else (ruling out a server issue), but equally happens on different browsers, different devices and even different networks, which seems to rule out a browser/cacheing issue.

Edited by Nick C

• RMweb Premium

Performance has been very up and down for several days. A page may load instantly, or it could take over a minute and have some pictures missing. Occasional timeouts over the weekend as well.