Hornby 2021 - Playtrains starter range

AY Mod

A brief review...

I had my first encounter with a "Flash" set yesterday.  For an unashamedly toy train, there's a lot to like.  The plastic track is fairly fine and is more or less Code 100 in dimensions. It goes together easily and the red colour means that it won't get "lost" in a hurry. The curves in the set appear to be approximately 2nd radius. The basic oval comprises 8 "double" curves and 4 "double" straights, so there's a good run in the basic set.

The train looks modern,  is simple in outline with no protruding bits or bobs to catch small fingers, the magnetic coupling is effective.  The train is easy to place on the track.

The bright yellow infra-red remote control is difficult to lose and easy to use. 4 small buttons control train headlight, platform sound, horn and running sound. Lights and sounds toggle on and off, they are not affected by the running buttons.  

Two larger buttons control three speed steps in either direction. To slow down gradually, you can press the speed button in the opposite direction. There is also a big stop button that brings the train to an immediate halt.  Stopping distance is approximately half a coach length at the slowest speed and a coach length at full tilt!

It all looks like good fun!

The main niggle I can see is with the battery compartments.  Obviously, to prevent small children from swallowing the power cells, the lids for the battery compartments are secured with small self tappers. Its not difficult to imagine these getting lost or stripping the plastic in their securing holes. As the lids do not have a mechanical backup to keep them closed, I can foresee the lids ending up being secured with self adhesive tape, especially with the locomotive batteries, which will fall out if the lid isn't secured.

Just a thought...
If you replaced the plastic wheels with metal ones and pickups, then installed a TTS HST Valenta decoder????  :crazy:

• Informative/Useful 1

Purchased one to have a look at (one of the Freight examples) and didn't read that it needs a seperate control! Back in the box until then, impressed with how it looks. Going to have to do something about the paint work however as it's just too bright for my eyes, it won't be a facsimile but I'll be copying a modern FOC livery for the loco and will probably paint the wagon (permanently coupled) in a departmental livery of sorts.

7 minutes ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

Purchased one to have a look at (one of the Freight examples) and didn't read that it needs a seperate control! Back in the box until then, impressed with how it looks. Going to have to do something about the paint work however as it's just too bright for my eyes, it won't be a facsimile but I'll be copying a modern FOC livery for the loco and will probably paint the wagon (permanently coupled) in a departmental livery of sorts.

I made the same mistake! Impulse buy, should have read the box, but in my defence there was a pic of a remote on it, and I was rushing...