Freight only micro layout: for sale

I decided that I had to address the lack of lintels and using laser cut ones wouldn't satisfy me. 

I painstakingly removed sections of the embossed brickwork and inserted lintels into the gaps. 

IMG_20210123_165212.jpg.2ca6b578e5b5d9d58ef49bf53f43e434.jpg

I've also built a second chimney. Next up are the pots and then guttering and downpipes. 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

As I've been working on the house, I've been thinking about the overall scene I want to portray. 

I've always been fascinated with the Amlwch branch on Anglesey, especially in its later, freight only, years. Although I never managed to see a train myself, the line crossing the main street is an enduring image. 

Link to a photo:

https://www.2d53.co.uk/amlwch/Amlwch 1.htm

I'm not terribly convinced by low relief buildings against the backscene, but I thought I'd mock it up just to see what it'd look like. 

IMG_20210124_144948.jpg.a690d16249d923dea361505b100af68e.jpg

IMG_20210124_144939.jpg.1088af42446947e2b44f3ce0aea38dc9.jpg

It could work. I do like the visual it gives, however the effect is lost as soon as the viewpoint changes. 

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Windjabbers said:

Just found this thread - really nice modelling. One quick question- what martial do you make the curves backscene from?

Best Woshes

David 

Thanks for your message and interest David. The backscene is just white wallpaper applied in such a way to curve the corners. Much simpler and lighter than curved MDF or similar. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Thanks for your message and interest David. The backscene is just white wallpaper applied in such a way to curve the corners. Much simpler and lighter than curved MDF or similar. 

OK Thanks - I hadn't thought of using that - will take a closer look. Will be interested to see you develop this project...

Best Wishes 

David

Edited by Windjabbers

On 11/02/2021 at 01:37, Enfys_Rainbow said:

No layout progress, but I have completed this very old Cambrian Shark Brake Van kit for use on the layout! 

Screenshot_20210211_000022.jpg.05fd8c051ab665db916d802b78188bde.jpg

Screenshot_20210211_002005.jpg.8b5abb446d0b31a8bd996af3d344234d.jpg

Screenshot_20210211_000042.jpg.73b996b30bbfce55528b83afb50b584c.jpg

Great job on the shark. I like the way you have weathered the railings and the ploughs. I wonder if the buffers need a bit more grease/rust.

It's really nicely weathered.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Great job on the shark. I like the way you have weathered the railings and the ploughs. I wonder if the buffers need a bit more grease/rust.

It's really nicely weathered.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve, you're probably right about the buffers, might add a bit more weathering to them. 

Morning all, 

Took advantage of some free time last night to complete the third van from the trio. 

This time it's a Bauxite one and once again the handles have been replaced, and then it's been patch painted and reweathered. 

I'm not too happy with the underframe on this one, might need some more work. 

IMG_20210218_203417.jpg.57dd43771fffe1a2483bdf293c5ff59d.jpg

While I'm in the mood to upgrade stock, and in particular vans, I've unearthed a couple of old Bachmann VAA's so may give them a go later. 

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

4 hours ago, TechnicArrow said:

Your fleet certainly looks better than my attempt at the same kit! Overall your stock looks great, with similarity and the variations between each wagon. I'm looking forward to seeing them run on the layout!

Thanks for the comment, I always paint similar wagons individually, and if I'm mixing a particular colour, I never batch prepare it. That way they're all slightly different. Same goes for the markings, I try to be random when placing them and not copy the previous wagon. Time consuming but worth the effort! 

• Like 2

I know this is meant to be a layout thread, and I will make some more layout progress soon. Hopefully as the stock I'm working on is for this layout, it's acceptable to post here too. 

Anyway, I dug out an old Bachmann VAA earlier which was originally "weathered" about 10 years ago. By weathered, I mean I applied a brown wash to the entire thing and gave myself a pat on the back. Now, it just looked a bit rubbish so I thought I'd give it some attention. 

Here's the starting point:

IMG_20210219_105809.jpg.7572a771eb5c877407b1090d518b1a04.jpg

I looked at several pictures online, and rather than copy a specific van, I just used them as inspiration. 

I repainted the grey, to get rid of the orangey shade my initial weathering had turned the entire thing and I faded the red, using thinned white paint. The original Railfreight logos were overpainted and replaced with some old Fox transfers, simply because I didn't like how they looked after the fading. I'm much happier with it now. 

IMG_20210219_105915.jpg.ea830061a6958c5c2756cdc6013d6e7e.jpg

I actually have another two to do sometime... 

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I know this is meant to be a layout thread,

A layout is an all encompassing word, without stock there is no operation so therefore no layout, keep the stock updates coming.

Remember, this is your thread, and if you're in doubt about where it can wander, have a look at Clive's Sheffield Exchange topic, ostensibly about a layout, but!

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 26/02/2021 at 15:59, SouthernBlue80s said:

Nicely observed weathering.

The VEAs are especially good.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback! 

As I mentioned in my earlier post about the slope sided mineral wagon, I wasn't totally happy with it. So I reworked it today and I think it's better now. 

Screenshot_20210227_205405.jpg.73ee47d22031b218896b0d270848ec23.jpg

I'm happier with it anyway. 

Thanks for looking! 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

First one done! I've wanted to do an ODA for ages! 

Screenshot_20210309_220843.jpg.2e1f21cdb66d0eb27db30a7dc1826649.jpg

It didn't get off to the best of starts because the kit solebars were snapped in half. I had to fabricate them from some Evergreen channel. Once painted, I don't think it'll be obvious though. 

Can anyone suggest where I can find suitable ODA markings? 

• Like 8