Freight only micro layout: for sale

On 31/10/2023 at 18:49, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Here's another bit of dodgy wagon scratchbuilding!

I first started this Gannet during lockdown, and as I only had one photo in a book to base it on, the dimensions were all guessed.

When I look at it now, I see the solebars and w-irons are incorrect - I used a spare Parkside chassis for ease which probably didn't help with the length!

Irrespective of errors, I've dug it out to complete.

It's ready for paint now!

Matt

Lovely bit of scratch building....rule 1 of scratching once you have finished a kit or rtr one comes out....!

Iron mink designs on thingiverse does both br and lms versions..!

All though yours looks impressive (wagon)

• Like 1

I've never been much good at soldering but this year one of my modelling goals was to try to improve my skills.

The Limpet now has new underframe details - all courtesy of Will's Workbench - and nearly all soldered.

04 03

There are some errors - entirely as a result of me misreading/misunderstanding the instructions - but on the whole, I'm very pleased with my efforts.

Matt

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

6 hours ago, sb67 said:

More mouthwatering modelling with that underframe, great stuff! 👍

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

When I was younger, and far more impatient, I would spend barely any time painting wagons - sometimes I'd only bother painting the side I could see (i.e one outer and one inner side only)!

Nowadays I spend days, and even weeks, working on a single, 4 wheel wagon.

Interiors are always tricky - plenty of photos of the exteriors, but because of the position of the photographer in relation to the wagon, you don't get a lot of good views of the insides.

Most of my wagon interiors are speculative rather than accurate and this one is no exception. 

Note the underframe is yet to be touched.

Matt

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Enfys_Rainbow changed the title to Freight only micro layout: for sale

I've reluctantly decided to try selling the layout (or scrapping it as a last resort).

Despite putting a lot of effort into each element, I've simply run out of the motivation to develop it further.

Sadly nothing is completed, which I'm aware makes it an unattractive proposition.

The stock will stay with me, as will the telegraph poles and bufferstops - they'll be reused in a future project.

In the unlikely event someone is interested in taking on an unfinished project like this, drop me a PM!

Matt

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

I've reluctantly decided to try selling the layout (or scrapping it as a last resort).

Despite putting a lot of effort into each element, I've simply run out of the motivation to develop it further.

Sadly nothing is completed, which I'm aware makes it an unattractive proposition.

The stock will stay with me, as will the telegraph poles and bufferstops - they'll be reused in a future project.

In the unlikely event someone is interested in taking on an unfinished project like this, drop me a PM!

Matt

Your just like my wife....offered something exciting....gets you all reved up...then gets a headache! ☺

Like many on hear was looking forward to the finished article....but at end of the day your train set your hobby!

Good look with future projects,....as Kenneth Williams us to say ....you area tease!🥴

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Chris116 said:

Would you have a current photo of the layout in its present state?

Ignore the stock, but you get the idea!

IMG_20231229_172100718.jpg.f04276aa48ae9459f9d5e45b61eb0724.jpg

IMG_20231229_172111162.jpg.07ea6475f771603e687a379ade3528c5.jpg

IMG_20231229_172121505_HDR.jpg.078178b0f0b7ac4d7ba5b5604e94b16e.jpg

1 hour ago, lapford34102 said:

Pity as I'd to have liked to seen it at a show  but that's modelling for you. Hope you keep up the stock updates as they've been quietly inspirational for me.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Stu - I'm still doing stock updates on my workbench thread if you're interested?

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Your just like my wife....offered something exciting....gets you all reved up...then gets a headache! ☺

Like many on hear was looking forward to the finished article....but at end of the day your train set your hobby!

Good look with future projects,....as Kenneth Williams us to say ....you area tease!🥴

Sorry - I may ultimately change my mind and work on it, however I do feel I've hit a wall now and can't see myself progressing much further.

I am quietly planning something "new" behind the scenes, but what I don't want is multiple unfinished layouts either - been there, done that!

Matt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You could recycle as much as possible. Buildings etc. could be put in boxes and used again in the future, the signal box on Upbech Drove was first built around 1996, this is the third layout it has been on. The pub on the quay was built around the same time, spent time in a box until 3-4 years ago when I rebuilt and extended it thanks to some good feedback on RM Web.

Even track can be recycled if lifted and cleaned carefully.

An alternative to selling the layout

Best wishes

Martyn

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mullie said:

You could recycle as much as possible. Buildings etc. could be put in boxes and used again in the future, the signal box on Upbech Drove was first built around 1996, this is the third layout it has been on. The pub on the quay was built around the same time, spent time in a box until 3-4 years ago when I rebuilt and extended it thanks to some good feedback on RM Web.

Even track can be recycled if lifted and cleaned carefully.

An alternative to selling the layout

Best wishes

Martyn

Track would certainly be recyclable. Not so sure about the buildings because each has been built to a very specific shape to fit over the various parts of the baseboard - attempting to modify would be difficult. 

The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to just strip it - certainly be a lot easier.

• Friendly/supportive 4