X04

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Elsewhere, progress on a Triang upgrade is at a standstill whilst waiting for a response from a manufacturer, in the meantime there is an opportunity to think about an alternative to the worn-out 60 year old X04. In the ‘rainy day’ draw there is an unused MRRC 5-pole, the original gearset is all brass and nicely run-in after a life time of whizzing around and whilst nowhere as smooth as a High Level set-up it is actually available and the combination of 5-pole plus DCC must be an improvement?

The only problem is removing the worm from the worn-out X04, any suggestions?

Finally, is my memory failing but were there ‘drop-in’ upgrades to replace the XO4 in the dim and distant past based on can motors?

Thank you and Stay Safe

Even Hornby did drop-in can motors - from the Scalextric range of the time, also the Polly/Smokey Joe loco. There was a plastic cradle that held the can in the X04 slot. And the TT gears doubled the gear ratio. There are also replacement gears availailable from other suppliers (even today).

A worn-out X04 though - they are everlasting!

Stewart

Guest Jack Benson

Guys, I searched and found this Informative thread which does make a good case for retaining the X04 or at least replacing my worn-out motor with another X04 fitted with a NEO magnet. This raises the question of how/where to obtain Triang TT gears in order to double the ratio, I have no idea about this.

Not too bothered about protruding magnets into cabs, it would have nice to fit a decent backhead but I don’t actually want to go too far in upgrading the L1, if I can re-use bits of the original drive with new Markit wheels and a cosmetically improved body, then that is OK.

Thanks and Stay Safe

Guest Jack Benson

Sir,

I had a new NEO magnet but no remagnetising facility

Thank you

Edited by Jack Benson
Text update

13 hours ago, stewartingram said:

Fair comment, but I come from the other side! I still have my old remagnetiser from servicing days, and in fact have done free re-mags for RMWebbers.

Someone actually makes a replacement neo magnet rather than just adding a couple of smaller ones piggy back

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

I had hoped for a response about obtaining a two start Triang worm or maybe I need to search for Triang TT gears or maybe not?

The first choice was another High Level set-up of RRC plus the High Level coreless or CCT’s Mitsumi but without a response, the fallback will be to recycle the nicely run-in all brass  motordrive with our refurbished X04.

Stewart Hine was a fan of a nicely set-up X04 and a good decoder should be able to control the old Triang L1 as it plods around the layout with the exExeter non-stop service.

Cheers and Stay Safe

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

Bit puzzled by the two start worm ref. Using one would halve the gear ratio rather than double it, and then only work if the helix angles matched the worm wheel. 

That is certainly true but there's a trade-off (as usual). The greater the reduction ratio the more the loss to friction. The old Tri-ang two-start worms are actually fairly efficient and work well with large diameter, high torque, slow, motors.

A large ratio worm reduction (like 60:1) soaks up a lot of the torque from a motor before it even gets to the wheels.

I just did some Googling for "Triang Rocket service sheet" which took me within this site:

Hornby Railways Collector Guide Homepage - UK, Australian & Canadian (hornbyguide.com)

All the sheets are there. Rocket chassis, Rocket motor, TT service sheets for the various chassis (all seem to use the same gearing, which might not be the same as Rocket, I didn't look too closely at that one). Getting those part numbers might assist you in tracing available spares, don't forget to try ebay as well.

If you go to Ultrascale website,

https://ultrascale.uk/eshop/products/CAT015#WWGS4

then go down to Worm and Wheel gear sets (0.4 MOD), you will find a listing for a 40:1 replacement set for Triang axle/X04 - this has a RED "THSL" marked next to it. They are the ones I have previously used.

Stewart

Guest Jack Benson

Stewart,

Do you use the 40:1 gearset with the boss type 2 or the type 1

And thank you

Stay safe in 2021

Wow, so long ago now, not even sure I've still got them (and it is too cold to go out to the man cave tonight!).

Edit that:

I've just looked on the website, it is the 9th in the list, suffix THSL, 40:1 shown as a type 1. Gear type 1 with a 9/64" bore.

They're not  very difficult to make.

DSCN4979.JPG.b9b5863b592e9de5056b2ae4e7d29feb.JPG

If you have a friend with a small lathe they could probably crank one out. The trick is to make several on one piece of brass then slice it into individual worms. I could make one for you but it would get stuck in the mail for a long time.

Edited by AndyID
Gramer

Warming the worm makes removal easier on the XO4.   Try not to set the lubricating felt on fire.   Don't try warming the worm on the Airfix 5pole as used on the Prairie as the end frame s plastic and melts into a blob before the worm comes loose.   The Airfix 5 pole  XO4 replacement is a bit of a gutless wonder so I would stick a new Super Neo magnet in, even if it has a good magnet, you can always re use it in a  pole.  The 3  pole is too harsh in my experience with the Proprietary Super neo replacement magnet but work well with a stack of smaller super neos.   it also frees up space in the cab on some locos. I rob old Disc drives for them.

I find putting shims each side of the worm wheel to limit side play to a few thou improves running, especially starting.    The Triang single start worm is designed for the  TT worm wheels which looks like it has a "Flatter" angle to the teeth than the similar size "Polly" and Dock shunter / Transcon gear.   I have seen these TT worms worn to an hour glass shape blob so maybe they were of softer brass than the OO ones.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've a fair collection of X04 motors powering quite a range of triang and early Hornby chassis some are now 60 years old and given excellent service. I found it to an excellent motor if serviced ie oil, clean etc and only once remagistered a 2nd hand motor, I suspect magnet removed, easy done and reduced amps power. The original magnet last better than the Hornby dublo types. The only issue I have found is a supply of orginial brushes

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Someone oh here did mention the original X04 was the focus mechanism on RAF cameras.  Might be Bertiedog in the parish here. A 38-40-1 ratio is widely available, and whichever bore size you require.  Guy Williams (Pendon Museum ) spoke highly of the X04. 

The Airfix MRRC 1001 was a straight-swop option. You can still find them at auction, but silly money sometimes.  At these rates, it's not long before a manufacturer makes a cheap knock-off copy.  

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

At these rates, it's not long before a manufacturer makes a cheap knock-off copy.  

Hornby did make a cheap version for the older B12 loco, available as a spare for a long time,14115199_B12Motor.jpg.c410076518c21a0eb370c02584e6f010.jpg actually runs rather well.

• Like 1