Markings and meanings on a 16t mineral wagon

Possy92

Hi all,  currently building a parkside pc21 (16 T mineral wagon)

I'm looking at the transfers and see the number, the v for the door, and white stripe, but I don't know what the 7-15, 7-8 7-9 mean? (I'm sure I've seen these on other wagons) Is it empty and fully loaded weight?

What are these numbers for, how do you determine what goes on your wagon?

pic of the offending transfers, circled in red!

Thank you for your time!

Untitled.png

• Agree 1

They are Tare markings and represent the weight of wagon unloaded.  Used for assessing charges for carrying the actual load.  Loaded weight less Tare.  For the wagon in question, I think any can be used since wagons would always have a slightly different weight due to variations in manufacture.  They mean Tons and Hundredweight.

There a lot of pics of this wagon around so check those.

John

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Agree Pete, Dia 1/108 did not have bottom doors (at least the one I built didn't).  These wagons had brakes on one side with Morton clutch for the non braked side.

LMS did the 1/108 precursor and it had bottom doors.  This wagon had independent brakes on both sides.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Informative/Useful 1

7.15    Empty weight of 7 tons and 15cwt.

An older wagon might be marked

7.15.2  Empty weight of 7 tons, 15cwt and 2 quarters of a cwt.

So the second figure should be in the range 0 to 19 and the third should be from 0 to 3.

cwt is hundred weight for the youngsters amongst us 112 lbs.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

How many football fields / buses in 16 ozs? I only understand units when converted into something tangible. 

Many many years ago, when I were a lad at school, it was reckoned that a thrupenny bit dropped of the Empire State Building had an effective mass of 1lb when it reached street level. It was, amongst many other things I learned at school, a useless piece of information, as when I actually made it to the top of the aforementioned building, I couldn't find an American with a thrupenny bit in their pocket, mind you, it was in the 1980's.

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Many many years ago, when I were a lad at school, it was reckoned that a thrupenny bit dropped of the Empire State Building had an effective mass of 1lb when it reached street level. It was, amongst many other things I learned at school, a useless piece of information, as when I actually made it to the top of the aforementioned building, I couldn't find an American with a thrupenny bit in their pocket, mind you, it was in the 1980's.

Mike.

I'm hoping that's not rhyming slang

• Funny 2

Easy to remember because unlike inferior French systems of measurement our ancestors arranged for the relationship between solid weight and liquid volume to rhyme. A pint of waughter weighs a pound and a quarter.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I think a nickel probably weighs much the same.:jester:

John

• Funny 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/02/2021 at 12:49, Trog said:

Easy to remember because unlike inferior French systems of measurement our ancestors arranged for the relationship between solid weight and liquid volume to rhyme. A pint of waughter weighs a pound and a quarter.

a litre of water's a pint and three-quaters....

Two pounds of jam weighs a kilogram.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/01/2021 at 18:24, brossard said:

I think any can be used since wagons would always have a slightly different weight due to variations in manufacture.  They mean Tons and Hundredweight.

On 31/01/2021 at 21:46, Trog said:

7.15    Empty weight of 7 tons and 15cwt.

Agreed and accepting there can be a large range even for similar wagons, is there a rough rule of thumb for how much fitted brake gear adds to the weight of a 9 or 10 foot wagon?

I'm thinking where fairly comparable, say a gwr fitted v unfitted morton. The cylinder would be a heavy lump I'd have thought, plus extra pipes, tie bars etc.

The difference for early 16t minerals would probably be quite a bit as you are comparing one sided mortons v clasp fitted.

The weight markings are less obvious in the later liveries so not always easy to see in Paul Bartlett's generally indispensable photos. I have loads of spare weight markings but am usually guessing which ones are most appropriate.

Edited by Hal Nail

• 6 months later...

I was going to start a thread to ask a question about a marking on 16t minerals then found this thread. When looking at pictures of 16 tonnes some have a white arrow pointing down and a 'star' symbol on the side doors what do these mean please?

Arrow.jpg

14 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I was going to start a thread to ask a question about a marking on 16t minerals then found this thread. When looking at pictures of 16 tonnes some have a white arrow pointing down and a 'star' symbol on the side doors what do these mean please?

Arrow.jpg

White arrow pointing down is the indication of the "change over" lever for loaded/empty. (May have an additional brake cylinder for loaded.) The star, in white for air, yellow for vacuum, denotes location of the "brake release cord".

Edited by 33C
Missing letter.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

VB 16 ton minerals [which this picture shows] did indeed have two brake cylinders. The star was always white on VB wagons, and coaches I think, at least before air brakes appeared on BR.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1