Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Thanks for the kind words Mr W, much appreciated.  I'm adding another little detail to the field that I think you might like - or at least find mildly amusing.  Watch this space!

A downed Stuka?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

So, a quick sitrep.  Focus is on the stile, but you might also notice the arrival of a suitable accompaniment to the item in the previous photo :)

I've also added some more cow parsley, and toned it down with some very dilute brown acrylic.  I think I'll add a little more along the bottom of the hedge here and there.

image.png.35253ec9ed8331912dcdbceb7a6fd17b.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

And now a few pictures to finish off the day.  The landscape gardeners have been busy; I think this corner is pretty much finished now.  I'm probably going to leave the field empty beyond the oak tree.  Will still add a few more coats of varnish to the little pond though.  The hedges still need a bit more flock adding here and there as well.

image.png.608f899ea96598b1193db90dedf17ba0.png

Did you spot the pair of pliers weighing down a bush while its glue sets?!

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The missing Mogul has finally returned from its holiday in the UK too, where it was having its sound sorted out.  Much better now (it was mute before - like the swans, who seem distinctly unconcerned).

image.png.7ae0889dc658a4e8a6ba40ecefc140f0.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Now I'm wondering what to put on top of the high ground around the cutting, outside the railway boundary.  It needs to look different from the corner with the field, but still to blend into the overall feel of the place.  Scattered bushes spring to mind; some small trees would be good, but might they overpower everything else?  Any thoughts please?

IMG20220128225015.jpg.4e031385c735d43b0d9bc9f55c8bd1e4.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

And finally, I've been adding some longer grass and weeds to the edges of the river bank.  They still look a bit plain and bland I think.  Some more reeds probably wouldn't go amiss - but they're a pain to make and I'm lazy :)

image.png.a56400ea9accb27b60ea50bb510269f4.png

Now it's time for a wee dram, methinks.

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

Those scenes are coming on really well @Graham T - I’m not sure about that cup of what looked like nettle soup though!

Many years ago Dad made nettle wine; different story!

The fields are looking great. My scenic section is relatively small and I was concerned about putting trees against the backscene to hide it. I don’t think you need to do that. Perhaps keep the wide open spaces that would be a feature in the area.

Less is more!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Now I'm wondering what to put on top of the high ground around the cutting

As you have a cutting, the land in the area is clearly a thin layer of topsoil over rock. So, at the risk of asking you to rip up some perfectly nice grass, how about some rocks sticking up through the soil?

See https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/53765.jpg for the sort of thing I'm thinking of. (Mods: am I allowed to post the actual picture, if I just found it on the internet and don't know the rights for it?) Basically, very similar to what I can just about see in the bottom left, but horizontal.

Any vegetation would be shrubby and spiky up there. I think a classic tree (as in a "lollipop" of trunk, branches and leaves) would look out of place. What would happen is that any sapling that self-set and grew to be more than a couple of feet high would be eaten by deer or other herbivores. How about a hawthorn? If those are nibbled by animals, they sprout from the base, much like some shrubs do when pruned hard by a human gardener. Modelling something like this

https://s3.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/47/97/4479703_1a472ab7_800x800.jpg

would be entirely in keeping with the overall landscape, and also something that you don't see on many layouts. It's not a bush and it's not a tree, but something in between the two. As a bonus, you can model the white flowers (assuming your layout is set in the spring) and then you get a large splash of colour as a contrast to the green fields.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Those scenes are coming on really well @Graham T - I’m not sure about that cup of what looked like nettle soup though!

Many years ago Dad made nettle wine; different story!

The fields are looking great. My scenic section is relatively small and I was concerned about putting trees against the backscene to hide it. I don’t think you need to do that. Perhaps keep the wide open spaces that would be a feature in the area.

Less is more!

Thanks again Neal.  The cup was supposed to be mint sauce - obviously not a very good representation though!

I don't think I will go with trees on the elevated areas, just some scraggly bushes and so  on, and I do like @BroadLeaves idea of some stunted hawthorn.

Totally agree that less is more, but still need the little details here and there or it looks a bit like a green desert...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, BroadLeaves said:

As you have a cutting, the land in the area is clearly a thin layer of topsoil over rock. So, at the risk of asking you to rip up some perfectly nice grass, how about some rocks sticking up through the soil?

See https://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/53765.jpg for the sort of thing I'm thinking of. (Mods: am I allowed to post the actual picture, if I just found it on the internet and don't know the rights for it?) Basically, very similar to what I can just about see in the bottom left, but horizontal.

Any vegetation would be shrubby and spiky up there. I think a classic tree (as in a "lollipop" of trunk, branches and leaves) would look out of place. What would happen is that any sapling that self-set and grew to be more than a couple of feet high would be eaten by deer or other herbivores. How about a hawthorn? If those are nibbled by animals, they sprout from the base, much like some shrubs do when pruned hard by a human gardener. Modelling something like this

https://s3.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/47/97/4479703_1a472ab7_800x800.jpg

would be entirely in keeping with the overall landscape, and also something that you don't see on many layouts. It's not a bush and it's not a tree, but something in between the two. As a bonus, you can model the white flowers (assuming your layout is set in the spring) and then you get a large splash of colour as a contrast to the green fields.

Thanks, I do like the hawthorn idea - expect to see some of that!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Graham T said:

Now I'm wondering what to put on top of the high ground around the cutting, outside the railway boundary.

What about a small stone circle, with single standing stones ? It looks like somewhere one could be found.

• RMweb Gold

Not much has happened at Chuffnell Regis today, as the boss is visiting so we've just been having a chilled out day enjoying each other's company after a busy week.

But a few little bits and bobs did get attended to, of course.  Stretch of bullhead rail supporting the end post on the stretch of (c@rp) fencing.

image.png.7f097efbe3e31d10d983332b9c364e83.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

What about a small stone circle, with single standing stones ? It looks like somewhere one could be found.

Now that's an interesting idea!  Maybe a mini Stonehenge a la Spinal Tap?!

• RMweb Gold

Here's a view of how this corner looks in natural light.  Still quite a lot to do of course, mainly around the tops of the cutting, including the fencing on this side (which I'm looking forward to enormously...)  But I don't think I will do much more to the meadows along the river and the banks themselves, apart from some bushes at the base of the rock face.

I will need to add fencing on the station side of the river too of course, but I'm not quite sure how everything will be laid out on that side yet, so don't' know exactly where the railway boundary will be.

image.png.c1c48631379a6028def0306152b0733e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Some more bird life has been spotted at Chuffnell Regis.  The pheasant needs a touch more red adding to its head, as it doesn't show up from normal viewing distance.  And I think my (attempted) peregrine falcon at the nest might look a bit like a penguin!  So he/she perhaps needs a touch of grey paint added as well?

image.png.8b891e8d987136ccf36ed3feedc62eb8.png

image.png.515013963a6c4fb392a8886d6e6f249e.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 9