Chuffnell Regis

Graham T

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Unfortunately this is where the head-scratching starts.  The metal block is drilled for the spindle in the centre, and also has a pair of staggered holes for the sprung plungers to make electrical contact between the underside of the deck rails and the two brass rings connected to the auto-reverser.

In this photo you can see the pre-drilled holes in the Greenwood deck, which I had assumed are supposed to be for the plungers to pass through up to the rails.  But as you can see they don't align.  Then I saw that the metal block is actually supposed to run lengthwise along the bridge, so I can only guess that I am supposed to solder a wire to the bottom of each rail, feed it through the hole in the deck and then solder the other end to the top of the plunger, thus connecting the rail to the brass ring?  It seems convoluted and full of potential for failure...

IMG20220211141925.jpg.6e6fc71e9cbbbf7464e392103e5d759f.jpg

Clearly I'm missing something, but the (frankly next to useless) instructions that come with the turntable kit make almost no mention of the block and plungers, other than that they fit together...

If it makes you feel better….. my turntable has lost its memory :angry:

• RMweb Premium

This is the feed to the deck - fixed to 2 bolts.

Presumably they are in turn fixed to the rotary rings, but I can’t see them as they are under the deck

31DBB686-2399-4E8E-916B-ACAFAEA80C82.jpeg.1602a5e5ecb321f09dea5b081668bf7a.jpeg

I will try a photo under the turntable bridge next….

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Try this

it looks as if you can see the edge of the two rings…. Does the metal block sit under the bit of wood sticking out this side?

6C6F1AFD-CC31-4560-BC2F-2BD8A6CC81D8.jpeg

I think it probably sits above.  The metal block is quite thick (8mm).

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Oh no - what a pain in the neck!  Especially after all the time you spent programming it...

It’s back…. Of a fashion.

I reset it and with that it now knows where 6 and 1 are…. 5 is just off :-(

• RMweb Gold

I thought I should give him a chance, so I've emailed Mike Greenwood asking him how the plungers are supposed to align with the rails.  I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for a reply though!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Doesn't really fill you with confidence though, does it?

I know. Got to be the worst case scenario…. Is this the sign of things to come? I hope not.

Being on the far side of the layout, I can’t see clearly enough to line it up manually…. Unless I resort to CCTV 

4 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I thought I should give him a chance, so I've emailed Mike Greenwood asking him how the plungers are supposed to align with the rails.  I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for a reply though!

Good luck. It might be easier to phone him on Monday. Chances are he won’t take your call, but if you leave a message, he will email you back.

Edited by Neal Ball
Typo

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Neal Ball said:

I know. Got to be the worst case scenario…. Is this the sign of things to come? I hope not.

Being on the far side of the layout, I can’t see clearly enough to line it up manually…. Unless I resort to CCTV 

Good luck. I’m might be easier to phone him on Monday. Chances are he won’t take your call, but if you leave a message, he will email you back.

Bloody CCTV gets everywhere doesnt it?  :)

Yes I'll probably try calling him as well.  I've still got plenty to be getting on with over the weekend anyway!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd been trying to put everything together without the spindle going through the upper level of the turntable deck, but it was becoming just too difficult to make sure everything aligned properly, so I've bitten the bullet and drilled through the deck.  Luckily everything does indeed still align after my wanton bodgery, and I can patch up the top of the deck at the end of the build.  It will need weathering anyway.  I'll also trim down the square mounting plate when I get around to installing the table in the baseboard.

Must remember to drop the spindle back down when all the work is finished though!

image.png.b6db226b70e779d3de8382a279edec5f.png

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 4

You need to start out with a scrap one of these:

eb9ed0e16df5633d63262f1d5b981757.jpg.29e6792ec02c98c9e932369cfc8bc38e.jpg

Seriously though,, I'm thinking of getting a Dapol turntable and making something that works as I have before and then figuring out how to automate it.

I used carbon brush pickups originally intended for high tension magnetos. I am now wishing I still had my sketches or the original turntable.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You need to start out with a scrap one of these:

eb9ed0e16df5633d63262f1d5b981757.jpg.29e6792ec02c98c9e932369cfc8bc38e.jpg

Seriously though,, I'm thinking of getting a Dapol turntable and making something that works as I have before and then figuring out how to automate it.

I used carbon brush pickups originally intended for high tension magnetos. I am now wishing I still had my sketches or the original turntable.

Is that an original Dancette?

Can’t beat a bit of vinyl.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Hey I'm broadminded, whatever floats your boat. I prefer leather myself.

Leather or vinyl… definitely not oilskin…. It’s Spain, we don’t need that here :-)

It's a Garrard deck, very similar to the scrap one I robbed for parts of the drive mechanism and spindle bearing to make a railway turntable several decades ago.

They did use the Garrard in the 1950s version of the Dansette

dan3.jpg.706b8895c580125a117ea3ce8551bb77.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1