Class 37 reporting number modification.

• RMweb Gold

I would like to convert a Bachmann Class 37 with blanked off reporting number panels to its original condition.

Obviously I could cut the panel out and rebuild it with plastic card and fit numbers. Are there any etched frames available? Any advice please would be very helpful.

1648067563_Cl37Bach.jpg.6af7c71bd03aee01dd39a752152658b0.jpg   20210407_231051.jpg.e42ae9d80347ddb55e92b7f86ca48d1d.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

• Re6/6 changed the title to Class 37 reporting number modification.

To be strictly accurate for an earlier working headcode version the lower 'skirts' around the buffers would need reinstating too, as per your lower photo, which would be considerably more difficult than the heacodes.......

And no doubt just as you finish all this work Bachmann will announce such a model.......:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Agree with others, Bachmann have previously released skirt fitted locos with glass headcode panels although in Blue I think they have only done Domino headcode versions. On the few 4mm ones I changed to 0000, I just painted the face of the glass black and put the headcode transfers on top of that as the plastic is quite thick and to my eyes makes the numbers appear too recessed when placed behind. 

An alternative is to cut a thin piece of perspex to size and then mount the numbers on a piece of plastic behind, I took this approach some years ago on a Lima class 37 I converted to 37215. Although in 7mm their are pictures in the page below that show what I mean as the principle is the same:

Edited by 37114
clarity
  • Thanks 1

The Bachmann models you need as a starting point are :-

37238 (32-777)

or

37251 (32-781).

They are both BR blue with  the skirts and the domino headcode boxes and represent members of the class before refurbishment. Not common, but do come up from time to time.

The other option is to track down a D6826 (32-778) which is a BR Green version and does have the alpha-numerical headcodes, but you'll have to do a full re-paint. This model is the only center headcode class 37 in BR green that Bachmann have done, so it's not so easy to come by. (Having said that, there's one on eBay at the moment for £125).

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, wirey33 said:

The Bachmann models you need as a starting point are :-

37238 (32-777)

or

37251 (32-781).

They are both BR blue with  the skirts and the domino headcode boxes and represent members of the class before refurbishment. Not common, but do come up from time to time.

The other option is to track down a D6826 (32-778) which is a BR Green version and does have the alpha-numerical headcodes, but you'll have to do a full re-paint. This model is the only center headcode class 37 in BR green that Bachmann have done, so it's not so easy to come by. (Having said that, there's one on eBay at the moment for £125).

And neither are particularly good. 238 was the original 2003 release  with dodgy shape and 251 was the later cock up with trenches under grilles .

Edited by rob D2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

And neither are particularly good. 238 was the original 2003 release  with dodgy shape and 251 was the later cock up with trenches under grilles .

agree although 251 is the better of the 2.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I can see the problem you are having is supply - they didn’t make many with skirts and old style dominoes that aren’t split box.

there’s a 251 on eBay at present up to £104; like Rob said I’d take that over 238 any day . Other than 142 ( limited edition KMRC , I have one ) those are the only headcode , skirt ones without split boxes I can think of that they’ve made .

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, wirey33 said:

There is also 32~782A, a weathered centre headcode green small yellow panels loco D6984. It dates from about 2012 and has the 21 pin chassis.

Bachmann have never done a green full yellow end version of any type, which seems a strange omission to me.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

John

If I recall correctly, Shawplan do some etched frames for the headcode box but I’m not aware of a full replacement headcode box being available. 

As others have said the skirts around the buffers will also need reinstating which is a bit of a fiddle but can be done with plasticard and a bit of patience. 

The comments mention Bachmann versions with running numbers 37238 and 37142 which do both have skirts around the buffers but the headcode box is too high on the nose and both run on the earlier 4 axle drive chassis which is not everyone’s favourite. It does at least allow for straightforward P4 conversion whereas the 6 axle drive one can be a bit tricky and rock on the centre axle of each bogie. 

Good luck. 

Jeremy

Edited by jbg
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, jbg said:

If I recall correctly, Shawplan do some etched frames for the headcode box but I’m not aware of a full replacement headcode box being available.

Brian used to sell some cast resin ends which addressed the issue of the incorrect placement of the headcode box, they were done by an individual, I can't remember who, but I think that a member DEMU was involved somewhere.

Mike.

9 hours ago, stovepipe said:

There is also 32~782A, a weathered centre headcode green small yellow panels loco D6984. It dates from about 2012 and has the 21 pin chassis.

Bachmann have never done a green full yellow end version of any type, which seems a strange omission to me.

That one was missing from my list ?

Interestingly 32-782 (without the A) is D6801; a split box GSYP version.

Bachmann's numbering system clear and understandable as usual ?!?

10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Am I correct in thinking that the forthcoming Accurascale 37 won't cover one of the prototypes that John needs?

6 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

As far as I can see that is the case unfortunately!

Only the first tranche, Accurascale will be moving on to the centre headcode models later - where my interest gets piqued and I really need to resist - 21t MDO and a dirty centre headcode 37 in deepest darkest South Wales

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/04/2021 at 08:06, Enterprisingwestern said:

Brian used to sell some cast resin ends which addressed the issue of the incorrect placement of the headcode box, they were done by an individual, I can't remember who, but I think that a member DEMU was involved somewhere.

Mike.

Sorry late to this, Mike is quite right Shawplan did resin ends for both split and centre headcode 37s complete with buffer beam skirts. I have two pairs but need more for Lima/Vi trains conversions. They are no longer available but do crop up on eBay occasionally. I never liked the modified skirtless 37 models (although prototypically correct), as I’m locked firmly in the mid 1970s. 

Neil 

• Like 3