The day we went to Barwell

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

And they avoided the bounce test! ;) 

Just one thing Steve, . . . “ put a little aside each month”  . . .  You do know we suffer from ooh I need x of those when these shiny things appear? ;) 

Oh gawd more overtime gratefully accepted! 

You're not the first railwayman I've met who wished there were seven Sundays in every week ;)  (like I used)

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the video interesting they have been working on the 47 for 4 years which easily predated the latest route to announcement but they kept it under their hats. They did say they have every interest covered with the stuff in progress so hopefully there will be something with a pantograph!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Markwj said:

They did say they have every interest covered with the stuff in progress…

“…unless you model in 1829…” Devil’s advocate here but if they can produce those little quarry locos, surely they could produce something belonging to era 1. :devil:

Good video, I particularly liked the bit when covering Andania their attitude towards doing the upgrade to the circuitry as there are quite a few models out there where their main shortfall is what this upgrade eliminates and doesn't require a complete (and expensive) retool to bring things up to date. A model I had on my radar I will almost definitely get now, the mods internally having done a selling job on me. I hope they do similar in due course with the 66 and 70.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, No Decorum said:

"…unless you model in 1829…” Devil’s advocate here but if they can produce those little quarry locos, surely they could produce something belonging to era 1.

Has anybody done any public surveys as to eras of modelling interest? As an example I expect any post grouping or later era's interest levels would outnumber era 1 20 or more to 1 but I don't have any evidence.

21 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Has anybody done any public surveys as to eras of modelling interest? As an example I expect any post grouping or later era's interest levels would outnumber era 1 20 or more to 1 but I don't have any evidence.

The newly tooled Rocket seemed to sell well. Let’s see if Lion does too.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The newly tooled Rocket seemed to sell well. Let’s see if Lion does too.

Yeah, if an era 1 release was going to be popular Rocket was going to be it wasn't it. I expect a lot will spend their lives sat on (owners, not shop's) shelves too.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

No idea, but we are all quite different aren't we. I was buying some blue era TOPS numbered stuff until around ten years ago, but my whole modelling timeline tended to slip when Bachmann announced the 3F tender loco.  I researched my local shed at Bescot and found there were three allocated therefore only a couple of years and were gone by 1961.  ex LNWR 7F "Super Ds" are also a very important part of my plans and they were toast by 1964.  Mainline diesels such as EE type 1s and EE type 4s only really started working in and out from 1965, so my timeline is a little fluid. However, I have ditched any TOPS number plans and remain rooted in the period 1960-1970. 

Clearly the manufacturers feel the market for pre nat stuff as they wouldn't have embarked on 4 and 6 wheel coaches and the delights of LNWR Precedents etc.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Clearly the manufacturers feel the market for pre nat stuff as they wouldn't have embarked on 4 and 6 wheel coaches and the delights of LNWR Precedents etc.    

Yes it does seem to be a growing market, but it's worth noting most of the 4 and 6 wheel coaches I am aware of are generic, if you think how many post grouping pre BR coaches you can buy that are covering a space of 25 years ish then it shows where they think most of the market is IMO.

3 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Yes it does seem to be a growing market, but it's worth noting most of the 4 and 6 wheel coaches I am aware of are generic, if you think how many post grouping pre BR coaches you can buy that are covering a space of 25 years ish then it shows where they think most of the market is IMO.

Oh yes.  There is no way Hattons or Hornby could really have embarked on scale models to a particular pre nat company, so generic has to be the result, but I assume they are selling well.  

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Covkid said:

Oh yes.  There is no way Hattons or Hornby could really have embarked on scale models to a particular pre nat company, so generic has to be the result, but I assume they are selling well.  

Exactly, but I don't blame them for doing what they have done. If the appetite is there (i.e. if they fly off the shelves) then I expect more bespoke ones will appear. The other difficulty is that the further back one goes with no preserved prototypes that information becomes more difficult to obtain.

• RMweb Premium

Smashing to see a Bulleid coach at EP stage after all these years. Looks great. Also pleased to hear Bachmann's approach to selling them in realistic sets. Great news that manufacturers are waking up to how the Southern managed and ran their coaching stock. Gold star.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Moderators

Apologies for the audio on this when we're talking when the 47 fires up; this was down to the audio file corrupting on the mic I had under the desk on the other side.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 27/08/2021 at 23:39, 2ManySpams said:

Smashing to see a Bulleid coach at EP stage after all these years. Looks great. Also pleased to hear Bachmann's approach to selling them in realistic sets. Great news that manufacturers are waking up to how the Southern managed and ran their coaching stock. Gold star.

See here for more information https://southern-railway.com/2020/12/23/Bachmann-bulleid-coaches-engineering-prototypes-arrive/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Apologies for the audio on this when we're talking when the 47 fires up; this was down to the audio file corrupting on the mic I had under the desk on the other side.

It wanted to join the conversation! Great stuff. Very impressive models. I’m looking forward to hearing the V2 perform.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Thanks Graham, and good to see that you've already started the campaign for the D2406...

rps20210902_072137.jpg.79deea843ed019e09dfd59752655a893.jpg

Indeed.  To get hold of my hard-earned £o££€¥ Bachmann need to do the Dia. 2406 BCK.  They also need to produce those two lovely three-sets in BR(S) green.  I already have the BR(S) green Two-set on order from my local model shop.

• Agree 1