York Easter 2022 - Cancelled (Updated 10th February)

john new

• RMweb Gold

The latest update regarding the 2022 Show is that active planning for the show is underway. Our venue (York Racecourse) has been open for horse racing events during 2021 and we have every intention of resurrecting the York Model Railway Show for 2022. We anticipate being able to welcome you back to York for Easter 2022 (16/17/18th April).

For holders of Advance Tickets these remain valid for 2022. Although in previous years the Box Office reopened on the 1st October preceding prudence means we are delaying that for 2022 until 1st January.

As information becomes clearer/confirmed it will be posted on our website together with our social media feeds on Twitter, Facebook and on here.

Updated 10th February 2022 - Sadly we have had to cancel, full text of the Press Release is here.

Edited by john new
Extra info added.
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

For a minute I thought York had gone again. 

Surely now it has to come down to individual choice of attendance not just for York Ex. 

Exhibitiors, organisers and traders also have individual choice so surely viability of many events may remain uncertain even if a decent footfall is likely?

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

For a minute I thought York had gone again. 

Surely now it has to come down to individual choice of attendance not just for York Ex. 

42 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Exhibitiors, organisers and traders also have individual choice so surely viability of many events may remain uncertain even if a decent footfall is likely?

Not just individual choice or financial viability; those organising events also have moral scruples and a sense of responsibility. I'd argue (from having been in this position in the past) that the care with which such decisions are made is greater than that required by the attendee whether visitor, trader or exhibitor as the responsibilities are far greater than they are for the individual.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

24 minutes ago, Neil said:

Not just individual choice or financial viability; those organising events also have moral scruples and a sense of responsibility. I'd argue (from having been in this position in the past) that the care with which such decisions are made is greater than that required by the attendee whether visitor, trader or exhibitor as the responsibilities are far greater than they are for the individual.

Therefore are the days of the Railway Exhibition finally gone?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

Uncertainty until when?

Any idea?

There are many from the WHO to national governments and down who would like to know how the pandemic will pan out, unfortunately ......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Unlikely. But I suspect the exhibition landscape will look very different for a while. 

Uncertainty until when?

Any idea?

Your guess is as good as anyone elses. Can you predict how the pandemic is going to play out? 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

I think not - I have safely attended exhibitions this autumn both as a visitor - GETS - and exhibitor - Thornbury.

I also have a a hotel booked in York so I can attend the Show.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

That equates to an attitude of total disregard for others. Nobody knows for certain whether they are carrying this potentially fatal virus, without symptoms, and may pass it on to others who will suffer serious harm. In effect, it is an attitude that says "if I want to take risks that affect the lives and health of others at least as much as those risks affect me, then that is entirely my business and others have no right to be protected fully from my inconsiderate behaviour unless they choose to stay away from all events and from anybody with whom I might have had contact".

Large shows, which are by any standards "non-essential risks" should not be going ahead at present unless they require 100% of attendees, regardless of alleged exemptions from statutory national restrictions, to comply with strict Covid security measures, including full-time fully-enclosed mask wear, respecting personal space, limited numbers in any given area etc. on top of a vaccine passport or proof of a genuine negative test immediately prior to entry.

Those who have to be in the show environment for the whole of a show in order to earn their living, and those who volunteer to help to provide exhibits and to run the show have a right to be fully protected from those who can't or won't wear masks and those who don't control their behaviour in situations in which they might acquire or pass on infection.

I believe that the way to encourage safe and responsible people to attend shows in large numbers is to make it clear that every possible precaution is being taken to protect each individual, not just the rules that the government favours at the time for a mysterious balance of national health / economic / political reasons. If strict Covid security prevents attendance by anti-maskers and the anti-vax brigade, then the majority of attendees will all be much safer for it! As for the very small minority who truly, and very sadly, cannot possibly manage to wear a mask, why on earth would they want to risk attendance at a busy indoor event anyway?

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

1 hour ago, Neil said:

Fair enough.

So include those Traders Exhibitors as well as the public who feel comfortable about attending exhibitions. Unfortunate but the remainder will have made their own choices. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Uncertainty until when?

Any idea?

As a Show Director I can confirm that planning for a 2022 event is ongoing on the assumption that the COVID levels prior to Easter will permit us to run. Yes, of course, there is uncertainty, look at what has just hit the night club market outside England and may yet cause NYE event cancellations UK-wide; however, we will comply with, and react to, the guidance we are given from official sources close to the time.

Edited by john new
Omitted word added
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

It must be a nightmare for show organisers at the moment. If all is well at Easter and the show could have gone ahead with no problems, then they would look as if they got it wrong if they didn't organise anything. If the show can't go ahead, then they will have done lots of work for nothing.

Either way, there will be people who see it as a chance to have a go at them whatever they decide to do.

It is really easy to pick fault with decision making in these situations. If a decision is made early and quickly, you can have a go at people for rushing it and not considering it for long enough. When the decision is made after a deal of thought and consideration, you blame the decision maker for dragging their feet and not acting decisively and quickly.

I have doubts about attending large indoor events, as many of us will have. If there are steps that could have been taken to reduce any risk that have not been taken, then that makes me less likely to attend.

If that means me not mixing in a crowded indoors with people who have not been jabbed or who won't wear a mask or take a Covid test out of personal choice, then that is fine. I will happily wait until I regard things as being as safe as possible again before I attend shows again.

To me, as safe as possible means either a big reduction in Covid cases, or if there are still a good number of cases around, people being fully vaccinated, having a test before they attend and wearing masks. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, gr.king said:

That equates to an attitude of total disregard for others. Nobody knows for certain whether they are carrying this potentially fatal virus, without symptoms, and may pass it on to others who will suffer serious harm. In effect, it is an attitude that says "if I want to take risks that affect the lives and health of others at least as much as those risks affect me, then that is entirely my business and others have no right to be protected fully from my inconsiderate behaviour unless they choose to stay away from all events and from anybody with whom I might have had contact".

Large shows, which are by any standards "non-essential risks" should not be going ahead at present unless they require 100% of attendees, regardless of alleged exemptions from statutory national restrictions, to comply with strict Covid security measures, including full-time fully-enclosed mask wear, respecting personal space, limited numbers in any given area etc. on top of a vaccine passport or proof of a genuine negative test immediately prior to entry.

Those who have to be in the show environment for the whole of a show in order to earn their living, and those who volunteer to help to provide exhibits and to run the show have a right to be fully protected from those who can't or won't wear masks and those who don't control their behaviour in situations in which they might acquire or pass on infection.

I believe that the way to encourage safe and responsible people to attend shows in large numbers is to make it clear that every possible precaution is being taken to protect each individual, not just the rules that the government favours at the time for a mysterious balance of national health / economic / political reasons. If strict Covid security prevents attendance by anti-maskers and the anti-vax brigade, then the majority of attendees will all be much safer for it! As for the very small minority who truly, and very sadly, cannot possibly manage to wear a mask, why on earth would they want to risk attendance at a busy indoor event anyway?

Then you are in an arms race for precations. You say everyone should wear an FFP3 mask, I say they should be wearing a Supplied Air Resperator, because there might be a gap between skin and mask. Talking of skin, are gloves enough, or should we insist on a hazmat suit? No? Well then you aren't demanding every possible precaution then and that makes you a murder says someone on the interweb.

And social distancing - is 2 metres enough? That's the government's figure, but you have already said you don't believe that their recomendations are enough, so perhaps it should be 3, and enforced by armed security staff. Anything less isn't every possible precaution. For York, that means 10 visitors per floor, with a significant uplift in ticket prices.

Vaccine passports - possibly faked. Maybe everyone should go into a quarantine hotel and pass a PCR (are those reliable, some of Twitter thinks they aren't good enough) before being allowed in the show. You can't argue that this would improve Covid security.

Truth is every possible precaution for an exhibition organiser means not holding a show. That is the only perfect precation, and that really does mean the end of shows forever because there will always be some anti-vax idiot cluttering up the population.

Most large non-railway shows, list their Covid mitigations. After that it is up to the attendies, including those on stands, to decide if they are willing to comply and wish to attend. To you,  "That equates to an attitude of total disregard for others." but ultimatly, it is the only way a mass event can operate in the future. If I consider Covid passports, face coverings and hand sanitiser an acceptable balance then does this make me a bad person? Possibly, but I also know how badly the lack of personal contact is affecting me mentally. Again, you may consider that a small price to pay, and maybe it is. For the moment, all I can suggest that York (for this is the subejct of the topic) can do, is comply with the regs and say what they are doing.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I attended GETS with my layout 'Whithorn' in early Autumn with my two operators, the first show we had been to for a long long time.  And I felt safe there.  I must record that I would guess that maybe 95% of those attending GETS as operators / traders / visitors were unmasked.  I also put in the hours at Chester Cathedral with Pete Waterman's layout over the school summer holidays.  Once again I felt safe.  I was unmasked at both events.   I must put on record that I have been double vaccinated, with the added booster jab, and the flu vaccine.

Both these venues had one thing in common; both have very high ceiling soffits in the locations where the layouts were being displayed.  By the natural convection of warm air rising inside these venues, any virus related airborne germs would have been carried up to a greater height away from the visitors at floor level, naturally convected away.

I love the York Show.  It is, for me, one of the highlights of the year for railway modellers.  It is always a time when you are guaranteed to catch with old friends from all over the country.  As we await the results of the number of potential infections recorded over the festive season, presently I have my on-going doubts about my attendance at York over Easter weekend 2022 .   The reason for my reticence is the low ceiling heights in all the exhibition spaces at the racecourse venue, where the virus has limited means of naturally circulating away from all those attending the event.

But I will be watching the  published virus figures over the next couple of months as I would love to visit York Easter 2022. 

Who would want to be a exhibition organiser in 2022? [Alisdair] 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I knew somebody would put in an exaggerated protest against my comments, but it really was high time to speak up for the rights of those many who want to be free to attend indoor social and hobby events again in far safer circumstances than are generated by just the application of the current statutory Covid rules. Those rules are full of loopholes for the liars, those who think only of their own wants, and the unscrupulous profit seekers to exploit.

I am aware that a large number of modellers who usually make important contributions to shows, and probably many more who simply like to visit shows, will not attend while infection rates remain high and while organisers allow the irresponsible and arrogant to do as they like. 

If some are suffering psychologically from the lack of shows, then the answer is to operate maximally safe shows that people will feel confident to attend. The removal of controls in some sort of attempt to con people into believing that risk has gone away is not the answer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

It's unfair that a battle is being fought on the Knavesmire; it's not of the show's doing and it only distracts from any information that the organisers need to put out. Therefore, can we please leave the topic for anything the organisers need to communicate? 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, john new said:

As a Show Director I can confirm that planning for a 2022 event is ongoing on the assumption that the COVID levels prior to Easter will permit us to run. Yes, of course, there is uncertainty, look at what has just hit the night club market outside England and may yet cause NYE event cancellations UK-wide; however, we will comply with, and react to, the guidance we are given from official sources close to the time.

As a fellow director, I second that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2021 at 13:59, john new said:

The latest update regarding the 2022 Show is that active planning for the show is underway. Our venue (York Racecourse) has been open for horse racing events during 2021 and we have every intention of resurrecting the York Model Railway Show for 2022. We anticipate being able to welcome you back to York for Easter 2022 (16/17/18th April).

For holders of Advance Tickets these remain valid for 2022. Although in previous years the Box Office reopened on the 1st October preceding prudence means we are delaying that for 2022 until 1st January.

As information becomes clearer/confirmed it will be posted on our website together with our social media feeds on Twitter, Facebook and on here.

The website has been updated today with the latest position as we continue to plan in the hope the Show can run this year:-

Layouts, Traders & Societies - To date after the first round of contacting prospective attendees we have 23 confirmed layouts and 30 Traders. Replies are awaited from further layouts and traders and the process of contacting our regular Society stand holders is about to commence.

Advance tickets: - Keen visitors will have noted that sales did not open as planned on 1st January; however, do not panic, this is not COVID related but because we are in the process of changing banks. It is currently anticipated that the Box Office will open when that process is completed when Liz, our new Advance Ticket guru will be handling your orders.

Demonstrators: No news as yet.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, john new said:

The website has been updated today with the latest position as we continue to plan in the hope the Show can run this year:-

Layouts, Traders & Societies - To date after the first round of contacting prospective attendees we have 23 confirmed layouts and 30 Traders. Replies are awaited from further layouts and traders and the process of contacting our regular Society stand holders is about to commence.

Advance tickets: - Keen visitors will have noted that sales did not open as planned on 1st January; however, do not panic, this is not COVID related but because we are in the process of changing banks. It is currently anticipated that the Box Office will open when that process is completed when Liz, our new Advance Ticket guru will be handling your orders.

Demonstrators: No news as yet.

John, pm sent

Jerry