Peterborough North

great northern

Still just local happenings at the moment. The stock of the 5.57 to Kings Lynn is being reversed into the bay. This is a special feature for Fenman, as he like to see this one M&GN train a day which has ex LMS stock.

I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that lovely image! I’m currently in Tokyo, in the middle of a ridiculous “round-the-world-in-20 days” work trip that I’m far too old to be undertaking (sic), and it’s a joy to see such a delightful image from home. Thank you!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that lovely image! I’m currently in Tokyo, in the middle of a ridiculous “round-the-world-in-20 days” work trip that I’m far too old to be undertaking (sic), and it’s a joy to see such a delightful image from home. Thank you!

Paul

My pleasure Paul. I do like people to be happy, and it seems this just happened to come up at the right time.

• RMweb Premium

The forecast was correct. We got wet, but it did clear up later. I lost my clue, and although I remembered to take a banana, I forgot to eat it. All in all, not the most successful day.

Another named express appears, this time the Up White Rose. This end is still tricky both to photograph and to photoshop.

post-98-0-88318500-1525293683_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-21261700-1525293719_thumb.jpg

I am not in the best of moods, and will now clear off.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Scrolling down this page to get to this point really brought home to me the endless variety that was on offer at places like PN back in the day. I know I've been very selective to make sure I get that variety, but to some degree it was evident almost everywhere we looked. How lucky we were. The White Rose broke the run of more mundane trains, and we do have one more angle on that.

attachicon.gif119 3.JPG

Rather more successful than the last one, I think, though it does give a very "hemmed in" look. Then from the opposite direction, a chime whistle announces the arrival of the Tees Tyne Pulman, Gannet in charge.

A definite good old-fashioned 'platform end' photo - smashing stuff for those of us of a certain age.  And I'm sure I've seen a similar prototype view somewhere or other but i can't immediately lay my hands on the book I think it's in. 

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

“I'm sure I've seen a similar prototype view somewhere or other”.

Oooooh I hope not. There’s a nasty accident coming up when that derailed pony hits the S & C next to our photographer!

(Sorry Gilbert).

Scrolling down this page to get to this point really brought home to me the endless variety that was on offer at places like PN back in the day. I know I've been very selective to make sure I get that variety, but to some degree it was evident almost everywhere we looked. How lucky we were. The White Rose broke the run of more mundane trains, and we do have one more angle on that.

attachicon.gif119 3.JPG

Rather more successful than the last one, I think, though it does give a very "hemmed in" look. Then from the opposite direction, a chime whistle announces the arrival of the Tees Tyne Pulman, Gannet in charge.

attachicon.gif32 1.JPG

So there we are, from slow goods to elderly 4.4.0, modern DMU to local passenger services that have endured for a century, and then to the cream of the express traffic, and all within  a short time span.

Nice shots, Gilbert,

May I be really pedantic, please? GANNET (along with UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA) was the last of a pair of A4s to receive a double chimney (in November 1958). Have you not lost the opportunity of having a single-chimney A4 for your summer, 1958 period? 

It would have added a little bit more to the 'endless variety'. 

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Premium

“I'm sure I've seen a similar prototype view somewhere or other”.

Oooooh I hope not. There’s a nasty accident coming up when that derailed pony hits the S & C next to our photographer!

(Sorry Gilbert).

Bachmann A1s..... the most difficult locos of all to get railed up properly. I even started this one from a loco lift to avoid the problem, but somewhere on its short journey from the fiddle yard, it has managed to jump off again, and as usual, I didn't notice.

• RMweb Premium

Nice shots, Gilbert,

May I be really pedantic, please? GANNET (along with UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA) was the last of a pair of A4s to receive a double chimney (in November 1958). Have you not lost the opportunity of having a single-chimney A4 for your summer, 1958 period? 

It would have added a little bit more to the 'endless variety'. 

Regards,

Tony.  

The time scale is a little elastic Tony, it has to be to allow Deltic, and even more so to allow your lovely little J3. My single chimney A4 is Golden Eagle, though if I'm modelling August exclusively, she shouldn't be there, as she was in pieces in the Crimpsall. I wanted Gannet, as I remember her very well, but I prefer A4s with double chimneys, so the time period got warped again. The are other anomalies too, but then it is my train set, after all.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

You can have my Falcon if you like, though I suspect that it's the wrong shade of green...

UHHsjL.jpg

Definitely the wrong shade Tony, and it would be a shame to take her to bits and leave them lying about somewhere.

• Like 2

Definitely the wrong shade Tony, and it would be a shame to take her to bits and leave them lying about somewhere.

I'm not an A4 man perse, but Nice!!!

Chris.

Overnight, Gannet has got a little closer.

attachicon.gif32 3.JPG

and the headboard has slipped sideways. There must be a very rough section of track around there. Slipping in behind en route to Platform 6, is another gorgeous little D16 with the East shuttle.

attachicon.gif2529.JPG

I'd love to know what actually did haul these short trains on their one mile journey. I suspect though that I'm not far off in surmising that they were used to save a light engine movement.

Your 4-4-0s are lovely.

The Compound is a work of art!

I am just too young to remember them in BR service, but I did see 10000 on the mainline in the 80s.

A D16 is one 'Funny' locomotive too far for North Manchester, I have enough stuff to build and maintain in a shortening lifespan!!

I am impressed with the amount of Kirk coaches you use.

I have no problem with them at all. Admittedly, I am not an Eastern expert, but I can assemble them easily, with a bit of care they can certainly hold their own with modern stock and add the essential Eastern flavour to trains over the Pennines and my totally fictitious Manchester Oldham Road to Macclesfield and Marple trains.

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Your 4-4-0s are lovely.

The Compound is a work of art!

I am just too young to remember them in BR service, but I did see 10000 on the mainline in the 80s.

A D16 is one 'Funny' locomotive too far for North Manchester, I have enough stuff to build and maintain in a shortening lifespan!!

I am impressed with the amount of Kirk coaches you use.

I have no problem with them at all. Admittedly, I am not an Eastern expert, but I can assemble them easily, with a bit of care they can certainly hold their own with modern stock and add the essential Eastern flavour to trains over the Pennines and my totally fictitious Manchester Oldham Road to Macclesfield and Marple trains.

Chris.

I'm very partial to 4.4.0's, in fact I'd like some more, but I've run out of options. I'm somewhat vague about the railways of Manchester, but I do know that some D16s ran on the CLC for a while soon after Nationalisation. Could that be a good enough excuse for having one? It is a lovely model.

Those two Kirk Gresley non corridors, along with two others, survive because I built them 30 years ago, and it is nice to have something that I did myself. Apart from that there are only  a few others, but I am coming to the conclusion that, whatever their shortcomings, I prefer them to 'orrible Hornbys. I'm talking about 61ft 6 coaches, now, not the NC ones, which look very good.

• Like 1

You can have my Falcon if you like, though I suspect that it's the wrong shade of green...

UHHsjL.jpg

I must admit to drooling over this photo' of No. 25. It looks quite superb in BR blue - what a shame the colour didn't wear well and BR replaced it with Swindon khaki (as my father used to call it).

Chaz

I'm very partial to 4.4.0's, in fact I'd like some more, but I've run out of options. I'm somewhat vague about the railways of Manchester, but I do know that some D16s ran on the CLC for a while soon after Nationalisation. Could that be a good enough excuse for having one? It is a lovely model.

Those two Kirk Gresley non corridors, along with two others, survive because I built them 30 years ago, and it is nice to have something that I did myself. Apart from that there are only  a few others, but I am coming to the conclusion that, whatever their shortcomings, I prefer them to 'orrible Hornbys. I'm talking about 61ft 6 coaches, now, not the NC ones, which look very good.

Ya Beggar!!!

I'd forgotten about the CLC ones!!!

My time period is very, very flexible!!

For example, the big L&Y baltic tanks lasted 'till just after Nationalisation and the last three went to my fictitious 'Brewery Sidings' shed, for trains into the Pennines!!

I'll have to look out for a cheap D16 now!!!

Totally agree with you about Kirks.

The Hornby NC coaches are superb. I, now, only have kirk artics and have a plan for a steel NC twin, using Bedford and Comet sides and an underframe I'll figure out!!!

I have one question.

Did the Tourist Stock ever carry maroon in BR days?

I have a train of Mailcoach coaches I have picked up over the years built and a Phoenix twin to build. All of these are Blood and Custard.

I have the oportunity for a brake unbuilt, hopefully!

I appreciate I'm running weird locos on the trainset, but , 'cos I'm a strange beggar, I like to be reasonably accurate as regards coach liveries!!

chris.

• RMweb Premium

Ya Beggar!!!

I'd forgotten about the CLC ones!!!

My time period is very, very flexible!!

For example, the big L&Y baltic tanks lasted 'till just after Nationalisation and the last three went to my fictitious 'Brewery Sidings' shed, for trains into the Pennines!!

I'll have to look out for a cheap D16 now!!!

Totally agree with you about Kirks.

The Hornby NC coaches are superb. I, now, only have kirk artics and have a plan for a steel NC twin, using Bedford and Comet sides and an underframe I'll figure out!!!

I have one question.

Did the Tourist Stock ever carry maroon in BR days?

I have a train of Mailcoach coaches I have picked up over the years built and a Phoenix twin to build. All of these are Blood and Custard.

I have the oportunity for a brake unbuilt, hopefully!

I appreciate I'm running weird locos on the trainset, but , 'cos I'm a strange beggar, I like to be reasonably accurate as regards coach liveries!!

chris.

OK, the least I can do is try to help you out. All the D16s that went to the CLC were piston valve engines. I have checked the website of a well known Merseyside retailer, and they have a number of PV D16s in LNER black at a pretty good price.  Might be worth a look if you really want one now.

As to your question, I reckon some Tourist stock will have made it into maroon, as they lasted for several years after it started being applied. I haven't had a chance to look at photographic evidence yet though.

UHHsjL.jpg

Hi

That is one very nice model locomotive and weathered to perfection, even though I model ECML Pacific's in Brunswick Green in the 1958 period that blue looks great.

Regards

David

• Like 1