Peterborough North

great northern

My abiding memory is of Burton Joyce, on the Lincoln- Nottingham line. If I remember correctly, a sewage farm was the culprit there, and even for teenagers who tend not to notice things like that too much, that was a horrible experience. The windows were firmly closed a couple of miles before we got there. How the residents put up with it, I do not know.

Gilbert,

I believe the offending Sewerage Farm is still there on the A612 at the boundary of Burton Joyce,Netherfield and Carlton Town's Football Ground.

I often thought it was a test place for Boots & Co. for their in house perfumes or a new after shave.

Regards,Derek..

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I believe the offending Sewerage Farm is still there on the A612 at the boundary of Burton Joyce,Netherfield and Carlton Town's Football Ground.

I often thought it was a test place for Boots & Co. for their in house perfumes or a new after shave.

Regards,Derek..

I think you are right Derek, it is still there, but the smell is not. No-one would put up with it these days.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The new bulding does seem to make a big difference, Gilbert, and I hope that it does get planted properly quite soon.  As I was only six or seven at the time that you model, and as I never visited Peterborough until the 1980s, I cannot comment on the accuracy or otherwise of what you have done, but as I am aware that you are meticulous in your research, I am pretty sure that what you have done is as right as it can be with over 50 years intervening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Speed. The 20mph PSR through PN does crop up quite regularly, so when I visited Clive Mortimore's Sheffield Exchange thread yesterday, and found a discussion going on about scale speeds, I sat up and took notice. One of our friends from down under, and a regular visitor on here, kindly gave the information which allowed me to work out how long it should take to cover the distance between the two bridges at a scale 20mph. Off I went to run a train at the speed I normally use, and ........ I found that it took two minutes to get from Spital Bridge to Crescent Bridge. That means one of two things. Either I have made a mess of the calculations, not out of the question, but unlikely, or...... I have been running my trains far too slowly. :scratchhead: The distance is roughly twenty three feet, and that should take one minute, not two. I must open the regulator a bit more, it seems.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

60862 is about to disappear under Spital Bridge, and was signalled into the yards. The signal in question though has been very smartly returned to danger.

post-98-0-13609900-1526322336_thumb.jpg

If those wagons on the left look rather yellow, it is because they are. I'm not sure what form of "weathering" that is supposed to represent, but it will be covered over as soon as I get round to it. This took ages to photoshop, and it was of course only after I had finished it that I remembered that I had spotted that there had been a SPAD, remedied the defect, and took the photo again. I was not going to shop this scene all over again though, so I have confessed instead.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Those wagons really set off the scene Gilbert, but totally agree about the weathering in the Oxford Rail wagons. All of mine have had the weathering powder treatment which actually makes the yellow shade something more believable. Out of the box they are just garish!

• RMweb Premium

For those who like to see what's behind the tender, here are two more images of the Dringhouses Class C.

post-98-0-72079900-1526332770_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-74241900-1526332788_thumb.jpg

Signals are now off, when arguably they should already have returned to danger.

After that train had got across into the yards, a new addition to the sequence appeared on the Up, appropriately hauled by a new addition to the locomotive stud.

post-98-0-08927600-1526332985_thumb.jpg

Knight of Thistle has the FO from Catterick Camp, no doubt a Forces leave train, though another portion was added at York. As usual, I didn't notice the leaning BSK, but the camera did. Corridor connectors snagging were the culprits this time.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Great pictures as usual GN.

"Fuse wire" is rarely used these days, I have spent much of my life ripping out fuse boxes and fitting consumer units. However Tinned Copper Wire and Enamelled Copper Wire are still widely available and relatively inexpensive. Very useful stuff . 

• RMweb Premium

The Catterick leave train again this morning, one FK for officers, and Gresley end door stock for the rest. No catering, of course. 60065 approaches the platform end.

post-98-0-08085000-1526370236_thumb.jpg

while our other man hopefully points his camera towards the light again.

post-98-0-58175000-1526370313_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I had spotted that there had been a SPAD

Correct modern terminology, Gilbert, but maybe not in 1958! I can say that in the 16 years I had involved with day-to-day operations, 1968-84, the acronym was unknown. Yes, I know this was south of the river, but a typical Control report item of such an event would be worded "1334 Victoria to Epsom Downs ran by Sutton Down Branch Home signal by 3 coach lengths. Driver Blogs and Guard Jones of Selhurst. Train terminated at Sutton." 

Perhaps someone will correct me and say the GN used the term from 1906, but I suspect not!

• Like 1

My abiding memory is of Burton Joyce, on the Lincoln- Nottingham line. If I remember correctly, a sewage farm was the culprit there, and even for teenagers who tend not to notice things like that too much, that was a horrible experience. The windows were firmly closed a couple of miles before we got there. How the residents put up with it, I do not know.

I once sat for half an hour on an excursion from Cleethorpes to an unknown destination (Mystery Tour), on a baking hot morning, right next to the DeMulders offal processing plat just east of Doncaster.

Now THAT was an experience I'd not want to repeat.

• RMweb Premium

Correct modern terminology, Gilbert, but maybe not in 1958! I can say that in the 16 years I had involved with day-to-day operations, 1968-84, the acronym was unknown. Yes, I know this was south of the river, but a typical Control report item of such an event would be worded "1334 Victoria to Epsom Downs ran by Sutton Down Branch Home signal by 3 coach lengths. Driver Blogs and Guard Jones of Selhurst. Train terminated at Sutton." 

Perhaps someone will correct me and say the GN used the term from 1906, but I suspect not!

I did wonder about that Ian, but everyone now knows what it means, and being idle, it saved me typing extra words!

• RMweb Premium

I once sat for half an hour on an excursion from Cleethorpes to an unknown destination (Mystery Tour), on a baking hot morning, right next to the DeMulders offal processing plat just east of Doncaster.

Now THAT was an experience I'd not want to repeat.

Come on Jeff, you can't leave us in suspense like this. What was the mystery destination?

• RMweb Premium

"Run by" was the usual phrase in several parts of the country where I worked.

• RMweb Gold

We certainly had 'SPAD' forms on the Western by the late 1970s/early '80s but nobody called them by the acronym at that time notwithstanding that the wording somewhere included the words 'signal passed at danger'.    As an everyday term it came in later but definitely by the time I was a Regional 'On Call' officer in the very late 1980s - not that some of us had come across it previously.   Definitely everyday operator language by the early - mid 1990s.

Come on Jeff, you can't leave us in suspense like this. What was the mystery destination?

We ended up at Weston Super Mare, took a trip back to Temple Meads to see Westerns, Got summarily ejected from Bath Road Depot...only place I've ever been sworn at before I could even ask permission to go round. Running foreman must have been having a bad day.

• Like 3

I'd already decided the tension locks have to go Mick, but I'll try to arrange something less obtrusive, because being an idle old ******. I'd rather be able to move them all as one unit.

Do the wagons have NEM pockets? If so, you could try one of semi-permanent bar couplings available from Hornby and elsewhere. These would be unobtrusive, possibly not even  visible when viewed 'square-on'. If the gap between the wagons is too large, then these bars can have a bit cut out from the middle, the joint being reinforced by a bit of square section Plastruct. If you want to try the idea, I think I have a few spare ones. Drop me a PM, and I'll put them in the post.

Do the wagons have NEM pockets? If so, you could try one of semi-permanent bar couplings available from Hornby and elsewhere. These would be unobtrusive, possibly not even  visible when viewed 'square-on'. If the gap between the wagons is too large, then these bars can have a bit cut out from the middle, the joint being reinforced by a bit of square section Plastruct. If you want to try the idea, I think I have a few spare ones. Drop me a PM, and I'll put them in the post.

it seems these wagons are to be displayed as required on two lengths of straight line as required. So you dont need couplings. You just push however you require into the shot you are composing. Why any unnecessary complication?

• RMweb Premium

it seems these wagons are to be displayed as required on two lengths of straight line as required. So you dont need couplings. You just push however you require into the shot you are composing. Why any unnecessary complication?

Laziness really. It's easier if they all move as one unit.