Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The Longueville parish name refers to a local Norman French landowning family, and can be traced to the Domesday Book. Inscriptions using the spelling appear in the parish church. I suspect that Longville is simply a phonetic variation or simplification for convenience - spelling was often a matter of opinion rather than fact, until quite recently.

The nearby housing development of Botolph Bridge was formerly a parish variously spelt as Botolphbridge and Bottle Bridge, depending on source, and there is no Bridge there, or ever was. It is presently attributed to a local saint (from Thorney, as it happens) variously also spelt Botwulf, Botulf or Botulph, but the former church on the site was called All Saints.

NVR names vary considerably. Ferry Meadows is currently renamed Overton

attachicon.gifF0B9AF6C-1871-4F6E-BE06-AD1F631398FC.jpeg

... although it isn’t on the site of the former Overton Station. It was called Ham Lane at one time and some locals still use the name, it being the name of the new level crossing.

The present Orton Mere Station is a 100 yards or so from the former, now vanished Orton Waterville Station.

Presumably the same St Botolph as is commemorated by Boston Stump, in my home town?

From the photos I have seen, Spital Bridge doesn't look wide enough for two way traffic?

Spittal Bridge was wide enough for two way traffic. One problem was the steep gradient on the East side, with a give way at the cross roads just at the bottom.

Lloyd

Time to get on, and to record yesterday's events, but first there are two more pictures of one of Mr Thompson's finest, or not, depending on your personal views about his creations.

attachicon.gif504 close.JPG

attachicon.gif504 rear.JPG

Great shots of a lovely model.

Weathering is perfect.

I've always had a soft spot for Mr Thompson's 'odd' pacifics.

I think I read somewhere, a story from Mr Townend the 'Top Shed' man, that they were, in the right hands, very capable heavy fast fitted freight haulers.

I wish I'd seen that!!

C.

• RMweb Premium

Great shots of a lovely model.

Weathering is perfect.

I've always had a soft spot for Mr Thompson's 'odd' pacifics.

I think I read somewhere, a story from Mr Townend the 'Top Shed' man, that they were, in the right hands, very capable heavy fast fitted freight haulers.

I wish I'd seen that!!

C.

The A2/3s were OK, but I've not seen any really positive comments about the A2/2s. The work they did from New England seems to confirm they weren't up to much.

I went looking for second hand wagons at a recent exhibition, but the prices were so eye watering I finished up getting some new Oxford Rail ones instead. Their view of what constitutes weathering and mine do not coincide, so eventually I will do something about that, but as a rake to push up and down as needed, they are satisfactory.

attachicon.gifMidland 4.JPG

attachicon.gifmidland 5.JPG

Very difficult light conditions today, but it can be seen that the required effect can be achieved.

I would take off all the couplings on the wagons and buffer them up, they will look so much more prototypical in future photographs.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would take off all the couplings on the wagons and buffer them up, they will look so much more prototypical in future photographs.

I'd already decided the tension locks have to go Mick, but I'll try to arrange something less obtrusive, because being an idle old ******. I'd rather be able to move them all as one unit.

I'd already decided the tension locks have to go Mick, but I'll try to arrange something less obtrusive, because being an idle old ******. I'd rather be able to move them all as one unit.

Push the end one against the rest with the hand of god. it's called shunting. :jester:

Use a long stick if you cannot reach easily.

Edited by Donington Road

Time for an update on what happened yesterday. Tim volunteered, well sort of anyway, to lay the track for the Midland sidings, and duly spent hours in very confined circumstances doing so. This is as far as we got.

attachicon.gifmidland 1.JPG

attachicon.gifmidland 2.JPG

Despite what the camera alleges, this is all ruler straight, and a very fine job indeed. It took hours, but the attention to detail certainly paid off. Ballasting and general fettling will have to wait, but enough has been done to enable me to get these lines doing the job I intended them to do.

attachicon.gifmidland 3.JPG

I went looking for second hand wagons at a recent exhibition, but the prices were so eye watering I finished up getting some new Oxford Rail ones instead. Their view of what constitutes weathering and mine do not coincide, so eventually I will do something about that, but as a rake to push up and down as needed, they are satisfactory.

attachicon.gifMidland 4.JPG

attachicon.gifmidland 5.JPG

Very difficult light conditions today, but it can be seen that the required effect can be achieved.

Apart from the work he did on the day, Tim also brought with him the latest locos to receive his painting and weathering transformations. We are gradually working through the A4s and A3s, a process that will now continue till all have been dealt with, as those in factory finish now look awful in comparison. Our first subject is A4 60021 Wild Swan. She had been on Elizabethan duties in July 58, and so would then have had a finish as good as anything Donny paint shop could turn out. The photos we found showed that she wasn't quite that good by August, and it has to be remembered that just one long journey in inclement conditions could have a considerable impact, but we reckon this is about right, and Tim has captured it very well, as always.

attachicon.gifSwan 1.JPG

attachicon.gifSwan 2.JPG

These shots don't quite to it justice, as the light was changing literally every few seconds, and I didn't manage to get exactly the right exposure, but you can get the general impression.

There is more to come, both from Tim, and indeed from another source. The postman knocked earlier, only once, as I had remembered to change my hearing aid batteries, and handed over another goodie. I'm off to see the Osteopath though, so the rest will have to wait.

Hi Gilbert

Thats a very nice finish Tim has achieved for you on Wild Swan.

It also looks like Tim has created the start of metal corrosion to the A4 streamlined casing just by the R/H Lamp iron as well which gives another realistic look to the model.

Job well done.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Gilbert, I just tried to catch up with your thread today, after some time, and I hate to put a spanner in the works, but a few posts back the very fine picture of a Grantham A3 "Knight of thistle"....well I'm sure it had a round dome.  But then, who would know. I'm sure TW would though if he saw it.

Best regards,  Roy.

Gilbert, I just tried to catch up with your thread today, after some time, and I hate to put a spanner in the works, but a few posts back the very fine picture of a Grantham A3 "Knight of thistle"....well I'm sure it had a round dome. But then, who would know. I'm sure TW would though if he saw it.

Best regards, Roy.

I thought that too. But it acquired a round 94hp boiler post 61 and deflectors. I believe its correct for 58.