Peterborough North

great northern

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Today we will go west of the WCML, from Carlisle to Silloth, and down along the coast to Barrow, and thence back to the main line, The cross country lines, and those around the lakes are also included.

Ooh, another luverly area and once my 'patch' - I enjoyed a cab ride from Barrow to Workington, with many lovely stations and some antiquated signalling equipment. Despite (or maybe because of?) that, I'm going for one of the closed lines and would therefore like to nominate:

Keswick

Oh for a 'Borders' to be done to get Keswick back on the railway map. Station still very much extant and a nice place to mooch and ponder 'what if...'

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

The previous day I did a run from Waverley to Inverness and back behind Tornado - fantastic - when coming from 12,000 miles away one must make the most of it. This was all part of a trip starting at Kings Cross behind Bittern and then Union of South Africa from York.

Andrew

We were on the same trip then! 'Twas indeed a great day - 12 coaches unassisted over the Highland mainline, including the 1-in-60 start away from Inverness on the return.

Sorry Gilbert (but it is an A1!)

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6905.JPG

• Like 12

5 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

We were on the same trip then! 'Twas indeed a great day - 12 coaches unassisted over the Highland mainline, including the 1-in-60 start away from Inverness on the return.

Sorry Gilbert (but it is an A1!)

IMG_6799.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6836.JPG

IMG_6905.JPG

What a magnificent machine! I love this livery and am lucky enough to own this - gauge 1 gas fired live steam.

Another long term project in the making!

20200914_182103.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Another tie. Ravenglass, Keswick and Workington, all with 2 votes.  I used to have a timeshare overlooking Keswick station, but lost it in the divorce settlement.

Back down south today, to look at through stations on lines from London to Hastings, Eastbourne, Brighton and Portsmouth. We shall include the coast route between those places, and, in generous mode, all the small connecting cross country lines in between the main routes.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Singleton. A four-platform through station with lavish facilities, on a single-track railway with a sparse service. Why so? Because it was used by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, when he visited Goodwood House.

The line closed to passenger trains in 1935, but in 1982 or 83 I stood on the platform. No camera with me, natch...... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Singleton. A four-platform through station with lavish facilities, on a single-track railway with a sparse service. Why so? Because it was used by the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII, when he visited Goodwood House.

The line closed to passenger trains in 1935, but in 1982 or 83 I stood on the platform. No camera with me, natch...... 

I will go one stop down to Levant and speaking of Goodwood, this from  last year's  Revival - a thing of beauty!

20190915_161618.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, David Bell said:

I will go one stop down to Levant

Lavant is also a good choice, with the 'loftiest' of the T H Myres station buildings - complete with luggage chute! I also stood on the platform there, in November 1967, watching sugar-beet being loaded to minfits. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Lavant is also a good choice, with the 'loftiest' of the T H Myres station buildings - complete with luggage chute! I also stood on the platform there, in November 1967, watching sugar-beet being loaded to minfits. 

It was the terminal for the Marcon stone traffic to Drayton in my time.

• Agree 1

Hmmm. SC division mainlines to the coast, and the routes between them (but ... not the metro operations / lines that terminate short of the coast?)

... Purley.

Brighton mainline, six platform faces, more trains than you can shake a stick at, including through fast, stopping, splitting/joining and (if you pick your time period properly) terminating. There's even modellable freight, right up to the present day.

And it's where a very young me first got an education in 1:1 scale trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fishersgate. As an apprentice with the CEGB at the training center at Brighton Power Station. On a Friday we would dash out the center to the ferry boat which in those days was an old boy with a set of oars as propulsion and cross Shoreham Habour. Run up to Fishersgate Station and catch a train into Brighton for the journey northwards. If you didn't get on the third trip the old fella was so knackered you missed the Brighton train which in turn meant you had to catch a later train home. 

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3