Peterborough North

great northern

By the way, I'm sure I saw a post from you mentioning the clutter that I manage to get in the way of whatever I'm supposed to be featuring, but I can't find it now. Please don't hesitate to pick up on things Larry. I value your knowledge and experience, and I will not be offended by constructive criticism. I do know what I should be doing, but it is often very hard to manage to achieve best practice. Particularly at the North end things are quite compressed, and it becomes difficult to compose a shot that doesn't have poles or other clutter getting in where it shouldn't. I'm afraid that is only going to get worse, as there are more posts in particular that should go in.

In the shot of the A3 A4 and V2 above, I moved the A4 several times in an effort to get an unobstructed view, but it proved to be impossible to do that and get the other two locos in as well, so I tried to use the water crane as a frame through which it could be viewed. Actually, I'm amazed at how much I picked up from my parents, who were both members of the Royal Photographic Society, just by listening to them talking about photo composition, even though I was at the time the obligatory rebellious teenager who thought he knew better.

Hi Gilbert,

Some of my posts as passing thoughts that I delete afterwards. Obstructions must be a nightmare for you when Peterborough has so much, but it is the nature of the location. An uprootable water crane could be handy ha ha.    My little layout is designed with the camera in mind and some obstacles can be uprooted!  What you could do is focus on the water crane and get a sharp shot of it. Then without moving the camera, re focus on the trains and shoot a second frame. You could then clone the sharp water crane onto the sharp shot of the locos and do any touching up with the history brush.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Heavy Duty bogies throughout; is that correct as stated in Harris? 

This Set I'm doing is the 1928 version (Turnbuckle UF - never replaced I believe?)

Thanks again.

P

Definitely heavy duty bogies Phil, and I agree that the turnbuckle underframes were not replaced. My Triplet was built by John Houlden, using Rupert Brown's etches for a 1938 Scotsman set as rebuilt in 1957 to include a "standing bar" for the Northumbrian. Rupert didn't do underframes though, so John will have sourced them elsewhere, presumably Comet or MJT.

• RMweb Premium

Time to assess the feedback on the subject of skies. For a while, there was about equal support for sunny and cloudy, but towards the end the cloudy ones seemed to be preferred. What I find very interesting is the number of people who indicated, either in posts or by hitting the like or agree buttons, that they preferred the cloudy sky in the last shot. That I find very interesting, as that particular sky is my own personal preference, and one I find myself returning to regularly. I've always felt that one looked right, but I didn't want to have every shot looking the same.

Thanks for all the input. I shall continue to vary the skies, but I suspect that most of the time it will be cloudy over PN, as I reckon it would have been more often than not. How can I model Pacamacs for the spotters?

• RMweb Premium

Time to assess the feedback on the subject of skies. For a while, there was about equal support for sunny and cloudy, but towards the end the cloudy ones seemed to be preferred. What I find very interesting is the number of people who indicated, either in posts or by hitting the like or agree buttons, that they preferred the cloudy sky in the last shot. That I find very interesting, as that particular sky is my own personal preference, and one I find myself returning to regularly. I've always felt that one looked right, but I didn't want to have every shot looking the same.

Thanks for all the input. I shall continue to vary the skies, but I suspect that most of the time it will be cloudy over PN, as I reckon it would have been more often than not. How can I model Pacamacs for the spotters?

Clingfilm?

P

My wife worked for Pakimac, in fact the girls in Oldham hadn't done their national service unless they had worked in one of the various pakamac firms that had taken over ex cotton mills. Men continued to prefer their fawn or bluish grey raincoats and so these plastic overgarments were more a female attire, and boy did they stink in wet weather if we had a bus load of 'em!

When home videos first came out, and I was but a young and innocent cub reporter, I got a sub-editing job on a magazine for people interested in buying a VCR,

I remember all sorts of odd documentaries being produced for this exciting new medium, review copies of which crossed the desk of the reviews editor.

Occasionally I was given the important task of writing up 40 word reviews of the most boring. Don't get me going on the subject of fishing videos.

Being so young and unworldly I never understood why the editor was so protective of one which he described as 'showing perhaps the most novel use yet seen on screen for Clingfilm' 

I wonder, did Mr. Duck have one of those VCRs? Was he an avid fan of 1980's video documentaries? Hence his suggestion of clingfilm?

Being so young and unworldly I never understood why the editor was so protective of one which he described as 'showing perhaps the most novel use yet seen on screen for Clingfilm' 

Was it stretched across a lavatory under the seat? It's just that I knew a bloke who got quite browned off with this trick. :mosking:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Definitely heavy duty bogies Phil, and I agree that the turnbuckle underframes were not replaced. My Triplet was built by John Houlden, using Rupert Brown's etches for a 1938 Scotsman set as rebuilt in 1957 to include a "standing bar" for the Northumbrian. Rupert didn't do underframes though, so John will have sourced them elsewhere, presumably Comet or MJT.

Thanks Gilbert. MJT Bogies or sides on Comet etch frame then. I've done that before on some other Comet Gresleys and it works quite well IMO.

I had forgotten until I was re reading Harris that there were these (two?) 'bigger' Sets. That's when I realsied I had the wrong Drawings from Isinglass for the 1928 Set (the build). I shall not do the windows with Clingfilm then.

How does one find Rupert's stuff then (not that I need to just now)?

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I suppose we should volunteer at the NRM so that they get better input? I know they have massive amounts of archive they need help with.

P

P.S. Gilbert, I have prepped some HD Gresleys this P.M. but have only done 'proper' work on my Gresley/Eastleigh Hybrid RCAF today.....sorry!

• RMweb Premium

Ah, that's a bit sad isn't it. I think that our RMWebber, who is a NRM person, would be appalled by that attitude. Think he/she works/volunteers at Locomotion?

I enquired a few times about helping out in some way at the NRM and was told to look at the Web Site and apply.............I haven't. That happened to me more than once at Barrow Hill as well so I now have a complex about it! Sadly I think the NRM has problems in many areas    but I still enjoy going as most Volunteers I meet are really enthusiastic and helpful!

However, I was welcomed at the Bluebell railway when I lived in Epsom in the 80s & Horsham in the 90s and spent many happy hours at Kingscote in the late 90s. So it maybe my Southern/SW accent I suppose......or maybe my beak :sarcastichand: ?

Ducky wucky.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert,

Some of my posts as passing thoughts that I delete afterwards. Obstructions must be a nightmare for you when Peterborough has so much, but it is the nature of the location. An uprootable water crane could be handy ha ha.    My little layout is designed with the camera in mind and some obstacles can be uprooted!  What you could do is focus on the water crane and get a sharp shot of it. Then without moving the camera, re focus on the trains and shoot a second frame. You could then clone the sharp water crane onto the sharp shot of the locos and do any touching up with the history brush.

Thanks Larry. I don't feel that I can remove things. They were there in reality, and if I'm going to try to reproduce the real thing, I won't be happy if they are absent. That's just me of course, I'm not suggesting it is "wrong" to do it in general terms.

I understood everything up to your last sentence. :sad_mini:  I only have Paint.net, and even with that I only just about understand the basics. I can't find a history brush on there, but then I don't really know what I'm looking for, or where to look.

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear! It really is strewn with errors. First quick look at the photo shows that the A4 is in blue livery, and has British Railways in full on the tender. How can that be 1955, or anywhere near it?  It really is basic, and from a site that people will think is reliable. OK, mistakes can be made by anyone, but it is sad that apparently no notice is taken when thay are pointed out, or even when help in putting things right is offered.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Gilbert. OT

Smiffy, I'm lapsed, as in most things. Pah! Was a Barrow Hill Member for years but then swapped to being an A1 Trust Covenenter.

Off to read more stuff on coaches when I should be taking a bracing walk.

Quackers.

P.S. Gilbert, Fandango......good name for an A3? (Puzzeled looks all round!!!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Gilbert. OT

Smiffy, I'm lapsed, as in most things. Pah! Was a Barrow Hill Member for years but then swapped to being an A1 Trust Covenenter.

Off to read more stuff on coaches when I should be taking a bracing walk.

Quackers.

P.S. Gilbert, Fandango......good name for an A3? (Puzzeled looks all round!!!)

Only if it danced its way to success in one of the racing classics or the Doncaster Cup. And probably a bit too close to Flamingo anyway, though that one was so rare that it might as well not have existed.