Peterborough North

great northern

Very interesting that you mention Simon Kohler and LNER. I met Simon about three weeks after he started at Hronby 30-odd years ago when I was working my way up the greasy pole at IPC/Reed. He told me than that his dream was to introduce as many LNER designs as possible, 

Hi Peter

I wish he would hurry up then and introduce a Thompson A2/3 and A2/2, maybe one day.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Sadly David he was a victim of their last night of long knives, (or was it Design Clever?), and he is now running his own marketing consultancy for the model industry.

Hornby's biggest challenge is that it can't work out whether it's a toy manufacturer or a modelling company - Neither is a hugely profitable space to be in at the moment as computers have all but destroyed the kind of innocent pastimes we enjoyed as children and there aren't enough modellers out there to support a bulk manufacturer, unless they play really safe with things that would have appeared anywhere (like 0-6-0s called Thomas!)

Bear in mind Bachmann is part of much larger international group 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Hornby's biggest challenge is that it can't work out whether it's a toy manufacturer or a modelling company..."

If the "Simon says" article on Thomas and the J15 are anything to go by it seems like they've decided to be both.

It is a fact of life that some things are just irresistible. Here is one of them.

Had a look at one today. Just need to work out some cunning excuse to have one on a Somerset & Dorset layout.

Very nice J15.  I always enjoy any 0-6-0 tender engines.   :)

Question:  I notice that the reversing lever(I believe) is painted grey/silver - was that the case on most engines where that lever was visible?  I have an older Hornby 4F and am 'personalizing' it, and was wondering about painting it's reversing lever.

Thanks and Cheers,

William

Sorry, the answer is a big 'No' on the 4F reversing rod. On LMR locos they were simply (dirty) black

Tony

It is a fact of life that some things are just irresistible. Here is one of them.

attachicon.gifj15.jpg

A beautiful little loco, and a very fine model too. Do I need one at PN? Well, no frankly, but as I said irresistible. Also, I've looked back through my e-mails, and find that in 2007, again in 2008 after my LNER locos concensus thread, and finally in 2010, I sent detailed arguments to Simon Kohler as to why this would be a very good loco to produce, as part of an East Anglian "package". Incidentally, I also suggested upgrading the B17, and doing the short tender type as well as the Footballer, together with an L1, a D16, and an upgraded B12. Of course I don't claim that I am responsible for the production by Hornby of nearly all of these, but I do feel very strongly that it shows that carefully constructed and detailed submissions may well have more impact than " I want one, and it would sell in shedloads." Anyway, having pushed for a J15 so hard, I feel the least I can do is back Hornby by getting one. It would have been better though if I had ordered the right one. :senile: And it would have helped too if I had done my research before pre-ordering. I would want this lovely little thing to be able to haul short passenger trains - I'm thinking of the East shuttle in particular- but this one can't, being steam brake only. It would appear that I can't just renumber it as one of the passenger engines either, as Hornby have correctly incorporated detail differences on that one. Has anyone out there made the same mistake, and would be interested in a swop?

Hi Gilbert, it is not your mistake but Hornby''s. That loco was vacuum fitted 2/33 but they have omitted the vacuum ejector pipe.I was withdrawn in 4/57 but probably didn't run after 1956 when it was sent to Stratford works for repairs that weren't carried out.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert I was tempted myself - especially when I saw how cheaply it can be acquired from Sheffield!

Very interesting that you mention Simon Kohler and LNER. I met Simon about three weeks after he started at Hronby 30-odd years ago when I was working my way up the greasy pole at IPC/Reed. He told me than that his dream was to introduce as many LNER designs as possible, and he was proud that he'd got agreement for a B17 within a week of joining.

We were lucky to have such an advocate and that he lasted so long.

And anyway, if you can have a B17, why not a J15

Plenty of photos of B17's at PN, and they got there both from March and Cambridge, where there were large allocations. I've not found a photo of a J15 though, and it is difficult to see how and why they would have got there. Only two at March, and they were specifically for the Wisbech harbour branch, and a few more at Cambridge, but again, plenty of branch line work for them round there. If they got as far as Peterborough, it would be to East, but I've not even seen a photo of one there post war.

Plenty of photos of B17's at PN, and they got there both from March and Cambridge, where there were large allocations. I've not found a photo of a J15 though, and it is difficult to see how and why they would have got there. Only two at March, and they were specifically for the Wisbech harbour branch, and a few more at Cambridge, but again, plenty of branch line work for them round there. If they got as far as Peterborough, it would be to East, but I've not even seen a photo of one there post war.

Pre war I guess

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/features/nostalgia/hobson-s-choice-great-eastern-railway-memories-1-5578713

65420 was recorded as being at March shed in 1957 and New England 1961

Edited by Donington Road

One of the habits for which Scots are widely recognised is financial prudence, which manifests itself in my case through not throwing away old copies of railway magazines, but re-reading them from time to time.

Only last week I found myself opening a particular issue of BRM, which had a distinctly East CoastMain Line  theme. One of the modellers wrote not about his railway as such, but about the process one goes through to get there.

I'm sure I read something in that article that said "it's your railway for your enjoyment, so you must do what will give you pleasure'.

I'd say that's sound advice Gilbert!

Have seen a photograph of a J15 at Skegness, but it was 1947, also a BR one at Spalding, but no date, so they were known to travel

• RMweb Premium

I saw a photo today of a J15 on the Peterborough to Wickford coal train.  It is just 50 years too early for Gilbert.  The picture is in the third link in the GERS material I was kindly given for the the J15 thread. Tom

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert, it is not your mistake but Hornby''s. That loco was vacuum fitted 2/33 but they have omitted the vacuum ejector pipe.I was withdrawn in 4/57 but probably didn't run after 1956 when it was sent to Stratford works for repairs that weren't carried out.

That is what I thought had worked in my favour originally, as the later passenger engines didn't have an external vacuum ejector pipe. I have since discovered though that there were other noticeable detail differences between the two, and I can't see a way to get round them. (Apart from having two J15's that is, and I'm struggling to find employment for one).

• RMweb Premium

One of the habits for which Scots are widely recognised is financial prudence, which manifests itself in my case through not throwing away old copies of railway magazines, but re-reading them from time to time.

Only last week I found myself opening a particular issue of BRM, which had a distinctly East CoastMain Line  theme. One of the modellers wrote not about his railway as such, but about the process one goes through to get there.

I'm sure I read something in that article that said "it's your railway for your enjoyment, so you must do what will give you pleasure'.

I'd say that's sound advice Gilbert!

I seem to remember writing something very similar to that in an article I had published a while back Peter. It certainly very accurately sums up my modelling philosophy, and it is exactly what I try to do. I have discovered though that putting things on the layout that just don't fit in, just because I fancy them at the time, doesn't work out in the long run, because all that happens is that every time I look at them a niggling little voice in my head reminds me that they shouldn't be there. Then they get sold on, usually at a thumping loss. I still bear the scars of the Spam Can which I had built for the old Peterborough layout. I'd admired it in the Crownline display case for years, and eventually gave in to Mike Russell's persuasive tongue. Then I hid it in the darkest reaches of the engine shed, as I knew it should not be there.

The J15 is actually a really good example of how my philosophy works. It gives me a lot of pleasure to look at the one I have, and I can persuade myself that they may have got to PN in my period. The problem I now have is that I know that I can't turn this one into a passenger engine without accepting some detail inaccuracies, and that I know from experience is something that will nag at me until I can bear it no longer, and it would have to go. As always it is indeed personal preference whch rules in the end.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pre war I guess

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/features/nostalgia/hobson-s-choice-great-eastern-railway-memories-1-5578713

65420 was recorded as being at March shed in 1957 and New England 1961

Yes, that one is on shed at the old depot at East station, which was closed down quite early.  I suspect they did get as far as East post war, in which case they would have gone on shed at Spital Bridge, which means they would have been visible from North station. The problem of course is that I haven't got room to include the tracks they would have been running on. By 1962 of course they would have had to go to New England, but that is too late for me. None of which is going to stop one running on PN!

• RMweb Premium

I may forgive you for offloading that C12 if you make sure this is in the background regularly.

The C12 is still with me Jonathan. Bidders on E Bay seemed to think I would let it go for less than the price of the unopened kit, wheels motor and gears. Frankly, I'd chuck it in my pond before letting it go for that sort of derisory sum. I'm certainly not going to do that though, as I don't think it can swim. :jester:

I seem to remember writing something very similar to that in an article I had published a while back Peter. It certainly very accurately sums up my modelling philosophy, and it is exactly what I try to do. I have discovered though that putting things on the layout that just don't fit in, just because I fancy them at the time, doesn't work out in the long run, because all that happens is that every time I look at them a niggling little voice in my head reminds me that they shouldn't be there. Then they get sold on, usually at a thumping loss. I still bear the scars of the Spam Can which I had built for the old Peterborough layout. I'd admired it in the Crownline display case for years, and eventually gave in to Mike Russell's persuasive tongue. Then I hid it in the darkest reaches of the engine shed, as I knew it should not be there.

The J15 is actually a really good example of how my philosophy works. It gives me a lot of pleasure to look at the one I have, and I can persuade myself that they may have got to PN in my period. The problem I now have is that I know that I can't turn this one into a passenger engine without accepting some detail inaccuracies, and that I know from experience is something that will nag at me until I can bear it no longer, and it would have to go. As always it is indeed personal preference whch rules in the end.

Didn't Hitchin have a J15? It may have wandered north now and then?

............I have discovered though that putting things on the layout that just don't fit in, just because I fancy them at the time, doesn't work out in the long run, because all that happens is that every time I look at them a niggling little voice in my head reminds me that they shouldn't be there. Then they get sold on, usually at a thumping loss.

I have to agree with you on this......... Impulse purchasing is deadly if one happens to have a modelling period & place conscience. No matter how thorough we are at conjuring up a thoroughly believable revised history and seeing all the 'agrees' when posting our newfound logic, we simply cannot kid ourselves!

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Gold

I have to agree with you on this......... Impulse purchasing is deadly if one happens to have a modelling period & place conscience. No matter how thorough we are at conjuring up a thoroughly believable revised history and seeing all the 'agrees' when posting our newfound logic, we simply cannot kid ourselves!

True - but it can be fun trying. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

J15s were common at Huntingdon but were usually Cambridge locos working on the Cambridge-Kettering route, and it appears Cambridge depot supplied one to act as pilot at Huntingdon in the '50s.  However a picture by Eric Sawford in 'Last Days of Steam in Cambridgeshire' shows 65420 coupled to an unidentified WD "heading back to New England depot for servicing.  The J15 was employed on lifting track on the St. Ives-Huntingdon section at the time".  Picture dated 21.9.61.