Peterborough North

great northern

That looks a superb model. There is one aspect of it though which doesn't look quite right and that is the fact that the cab seems to be tipping forward towards the front of the engine very slightly.

Andy also put me through my paces so far as photoshopping is concerned, and seems to be content that I do at least know the basics. I'll leave him to summarise the advice he gave me, which was not "give up".

I did take a copy of Photoshop over for Gilbert as I thought it may help but after watching how Gilbert used paint.net I didn't feel it would yield much benefit considering going through another learning curve unless even longer was spent on cleaning images up. He's already going through far more work than virtually everyone who posts here in that respect.

After working on creating a sky on this this, I realise now what you are up against. All that fine detail in white against the skyline to go around and fill in. Small wonder you felt as you did....

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-49450600-1438194570_thumb.jpg

In contrast this one took all of 10 seconds.......

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-92341500-1438194461_thumb.jpg

Gilbert used those two images when I was over to illustrate how he does it, as you say the side-on shot is a comparative doddle. The first one, even when stacked to improve the definition of edge lines on the signalling etc, would really need all of the polygons within the signals and ladders etc creating with a polygon mask to retain the clarity and I'd estimate that I'd spend a good hour on that preparing it for print.

Yes, the advice is not to give up as Gilbert's good at it but also not to beat himself up if it's not perfect as it would take far too long to treat every shot in this fashion.

• RMweb Premium

If taking a photo of the layout with loads of white lattice signal posts against the 'room' background, would it not be possible to place lightweight pale blue cards a short distance behind them? 

I'll try that Larry, but won't the card block out other detail behind? Or am I missing something? I'd not have a clue how to put the missing detail back in, by the way.

I'll try that Larry, but won't the card block out other detail behind? Or am I missing something? I'd not have a clue how to put the missing detail back in, by the way.

I have gone back through some of your earlier pictures and I have to agree it ain't easy for you trying to mask off unwanted background to make life easier when adding a sky. In fact, after looking at earlier shots, I marvel at what you have achieved photo-wise since taking up model photography. 

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff Gilbert and Zane, will really add to the platform scenery as I had often wondered what needed to go on some of the larger expanses of platform asphalt.

This is what can be great about this hobby, helping each other out to improve our models or modelling. I know you've been a great help to me Gilbert and am glad that you are on the receiving end this time round. Be interested to hear how Zane did the job, especially how he drew it up and got it printed. I've got a few details like this that I wouldn't mind doing something similar on.

Cheers

Tony

Gilbert, Andy, Tony and anyone else who comments,

Thank you for the kind words. I am absolutely floored by how these have come out. I am seeing them for the first time as well, as I felt it best to wait and see them.

I am more than happy to do a write up on the creation of these, and will do so at some point in the future for all that are interested.

I hate to keep this short and sweet, but it's 12:20pm here, and I'm off to chase a Garratt come morn :) . More when I return.

And Gilbert, it has been an honour to deal with you. And I hope to do so again in the future.

• Like 5

Seriously impressed with those I also couldn't help but notice how well the back scenes reduce the clutter, mayne the answer is to have back scenes high enough to get away from 'shopping the Beast etc. but fill in the rest of the sky above?

• Like 1

Something similar lasted (in non working form) until at least 1978 out in East Anglia..

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/East-Anglian-Railway-Archive/i-FSF2kXn

Are the 3d printed lamps meant to be able to light up? I'm wondering what would happen if a light was directed at the base? Does the 3d printed material transmit light like perspex? Could the bowl be made to glow by doing this? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Something similar lasted (in non working form) until at least 1978 out in East Anglia..

http://www.eastanglianrailwayarchive.co.uk/Railways/East-Anglian-Railway-Archive/i-FSF2kXn

Are the 3d printed lamps meant to be able to light up? I'm wondering what would happen if a light was directed at the base? Does the 3d printed material transmit light like perspex? Could the bowl be made to glow by doing this? 

Someone would do that within hours. They be very clever they be.

Damn fine lamps those. I wonder if one could use a fragile one as some sort of basis to produce a former for casting tougher ones in a tougher material? I'd be mortified if I were to break one (or more) whilst reaching/ brushing up/replacing stock.

The advances in 3d printing is amazing. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a tougher end product in some way, using the original printed object as a 'cast' maker. 

Wouldn't have to worry with little things like loco lamps or (say) people &  buffers, only the thin, flimsy things that would be vulnerable such as lamps, signal posts, fire irons etc. In fact I've already seen the 4mm people and one can get oneself done so forever preserved so to speak. I think we might have discussed this some time back? 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have gone back through some of your earlier pictures and I have to agree it ain't easy for you trying to mask off unwanted background to make life easier when adding a sky. In fact, after looking at earlier shots, I marvel at what you have achieved photo-wise since taking up model photography. 

I still don't know very much Larry, but I've come to the conclusion that I should just accept that and do the best I can with the knowledge and equipment I have. I didn't realise till Andy told me, but it seems that I'm already doing stuff in Digital Photo Pro that would also be in Photoshop, so there is really no great advantage to be had by upgrading, unless I want to do a lot more learning, and a lot more work on images, which I don't.

So, all will be done to allow reasonable viewing at the size I post. Anyone who wants to make the images larger does so at their own risk. And I'm always open to requests, whether for particular locos or stock, or for specific views.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant stuff Gilbert and Zane, will really add to the platform scenery as I had often wondered what needed to go on some of the larger expanses of platform asphalt.

This is what can be great about this hobby, helping each other out to improve our models or modelling. I know you've been a great help to me Gilbert and am glad that you are on the receiving end this time round. Be interested to hear how Zane did the job, especially how he drew it up and got it printed. I've got a few details like this that I wouldn't mind doing something similar on.

Cheers

Tony

That's why I have been awaiting these so eagerly Tony, those expanses of empty platform were a bit of an eyesore. These lamps will help a lot, and there is another addition to come, I hope shortly, which will fill in  a bit more.

• Like 2

Damn fine lamps those. I wonder if one could use a fragile one as some sort of basis to produce a former for casting tougher ones in a tougher material? 

A cold mould, as used in dentistry, could be made off of them then they could be cast in whitemetal.

Gilbert and I did discuss this point, and the answer Gilbert gave of 'Perpetual daylight' meant that they are designed as non-working lamps. However, your point about lighting from the base is an interesting one, and one that I do think should seriously be chased up and investigated. I can't put it better than Tony's quote of "This is what can be great about this hobby, helping each other out to improve our models or modelling".

Someone would do that within hours. They be very clever they be.

Damn fine lamps those. I wonder if one could use a fragile one as some sort of basis to produce a former for casting tougher ones in a tougher material? I'd be mortified if I were to break one (or more) whilst reaching/ brushing up/replacing stock.

The advances in 3d printing is amazing. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a tougher end product in some way, using the original printed object as a 'cast' maker. 

Wouldn't have to worry with little things like loco lamps or (say) people &  buffers, only the thin, flimsy things that would be vulnerable such as lamps, signal posts, fire irons etc. In fact I've already seen the 4mm people and one can get oneself done so forever preserved so to speak. I think we might have discussed this some time back? 

On the point of fragility, it is the Achilles heel of the lamps, yes. I have tried to design them to be as close to scale from the photos Gilbert passed on to me (was a slight pain without dimensions, but with a photo of a Peppercorn A1 next to one, and a diagram of same saved on my laptop, it was just a matter of using some rough lines of sight and guesstimation) but this does mean some fragile areas, yes. However, I fully agree with yours and Larry's points about casting them. There is nothing that I can see would hold back that idea from my end.

I'll try and do the write-up of the lamps some time very soon, but shall keep it separate from the thread here, lest I clutter it up with semi-useless information! And I do intend to make these available for sale soon if there is interest for them here, and elsewhere. Gilbert's order has proved that they have printed fine, and have exceeded my thoughts on it. Hopefully my guinea pig respected tester can now finish them up, to add that missing touch to the platforms of Peterborough North and 'brighten' up the layout for the better

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't mention the cricket.

I think Larry's suggestion sounds great. Amalgum ..... whatever. 

Anyway they are lovely. I have no idea how long this 3d stuff takes to do but if it is not too long then, as an alternative option,  maybe producing the master for a cold mould and then doing the actual products in a tougher material if required. 

If you went ' commercial' then the sales could be the resin item, or a RTR casting.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi. The lamps are magnificent, and what I was hoping was in the parcel. They will indeed help to improve the platforms, and put me in mind of a photo' in an old Trains Illustrated of Peterborough North with an N2, 69521, shunting vans in the bay platform 1 next to platform 2

With regards,

Market65.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't mention the cricket.

I think Larry's suggestion sounds great. Amalgum ..... whatever. 

Anyway they are lovely. I have no idea how long this 3d stuff takes to do but if it is not too long then, as an alternative option,  maybe producing the master for a cold mould and then doing the actual products in a tougher material if required. 

If you went ' commercial' then the sales could be the resin item, or a RTR casting.

Phil

I think the lamps will be OK once they are in position. Yes, they are delicate, but then so to a degree are Mike's models whitemetal ones. I know to my cost that a careless hand can wreck those too. And these 3D ones are surprisingly cheap - 30 euros for 16 lamps, so it wouldn't be too expensive to order a few spares just in case. In fact, I think I shall do so.

• Like 3

Neat to see sky images again Gilbert, but paint those tyre walls and axle ends on the Hornby A3. Glad the mask idea is proving useful too.....I should try it myself haha. I am sending you a PM enquiry in the hope I can tap into your knowledge base...

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Gilbert the 12th July is not a date to celebrate. :no:

No I do not come from the either community in Northern Ireland, done enough marching when I was in the army.

It is a date I made the biggest mistake in my life, I got married to my first wife. :nono: :nono: :nono: