Peterborough North

great northern

First class dining seats were green leather when built - I don't know what the life expectancy of seat coverings was. This is am Open, I take it, so no handrails - they were chrome rather than brass on catering vehicles.

For your download, I'd stop it and try again.

Edited by jwealleans

• RMweb Gold

First class dining seats were green leather when built - I don't know what the life expectancy of seat coverings was. This is am Open, I take it, so no handrails - they were chrome rather than bras on catering vehicles.

For your download, I'd stop it and try again.

I'm glad about that, there's nothing worse than finding a bra in your soup...

Al.

Which reminds me of an old Dr Finley joke

"Och Dr Cameron I've a terrible burning sensation in the side of my chest "

"Well Janet, if you'd get yer tits out of the porridge, I'm sure it will go away!"

Sorry, it just couldn't be avoided!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think several years spent at the NRM Archives is in order. I bet they have some info on fabrics in place on a Triplet in Summer 1958. In fact it will probably reveal that there were several different styles in use at that very period.

So, the conclusion is: do them blue and brown; don't put handrails in the Kitchen Car (as I have seen and the same set had clear windows for 1958ish...tut, tut); ensure you know where the 'decals' should go for your particular set; check your set details are more or less correct for your train at that time; remember to do a couple of Attendants in white jackets as they will show up nicely. Enjoy watching the set and the train glide by when you have finished.

L. A. Y. Zeeboy.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had a chat with Ian Willets this morning - he has just done two more very nice coaches for me. He says that the upholstery got worn quite quickly, and thinks it would have needed renewing perhaps as often as every three years. The chances of any coach in regular main line service still having pre war colours seems therefore to be very remote. By 1958 then, standard BR colours would be the norm, so blue for First and Red for Second class, which is what Hornby do on their Gresleys. Sounds like the best bet to me.

Interesting. When I think back to those LNWR, MR and early LMS non-corridor coaches I commuted in to Manchester and which saw more bums on seats than many coaches then in service, I doubt they had been reupholstered since methuselah surrendered his season ticket...But maybe dining car seats had to be done regularly if veggie dishes, creme of sausage, duck soup and other RMweb favourites were regularly spilled all over them.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. When I think back to those LNWR, MR and early LMS non-corridor coaches I commuted in to Manchester and which saw more bums on seats than many coaches then in service, I doubt they had been reupholstered since methuselah surrendered his season ticket...But maybe dining car seats had to be done regularly if veggie dishes, creme of sausage, duck soup and other RMweb favourites were regularly spilled all over them.

But commuters have had the short straw ever since railways began, haven't they Larry? They are literally a captive audience, well, not audience but you know what I mean. They had to put up with what they were given, which in my period on the ECML into London was forty year old quad arts, and I'm sure it was the same everywhere, so refurbishment of those would have been a very low priority, whereas triplet sets, though some of those were also getting on for 40, were still in regular daily use on top express work.

IF you guys think you had it bad you should see the carp we've just been given by Southern on the Brighton Line. The new class 37x units have about a 1/4' thick piece of padding on solid farm seats 5 across in a tapering body shell that gives each passenger about 21" of width and stuff-all legroom. 

The argument is that they can get 5 more seats per carriage using this set up than with thicker padding, thus increasing seating capacity. TBH, unless you are standing by the doors when the unit arrives you won;t get seat during rush hour anyway.

When one considers the wear the town and city bus seat got in the days when most people still used them for getting to work, shopping or flicks, and passengers were on and off at every lamp post. Seats rarely got reupholstered unless slashed. Mind you, buses only lasted with their original owners for 14-20 years but it does show how the moquette lasted.

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Apart from slashing on of the seats I think that people were generally respectful of 'communal' transport and facilities (even bogs) back then; or maybe my rose tinted specs are in operation?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert (or anyone else interested) - could you confirm whether this photo is PN, please?

Definitely PN Jonathan. That is North box behind the loco, and the water tower is unmistakeable. This is the first photo I've seen of a sentinel anywhere other than withint the confines of the District Engineers depot. Perhaps they were more adventurous in LNER days?  It can't have been more than a quarter of a mile down to North box, but then they did only have very small wheels.

• RMweb Gold

Definitely PN Jonathan. That is North box behind the loco, and the water tower is unmistakeable. This is the first photo I've seen of a sentinel anywhere other than withint the confines of the District Engineers depot. Perhaps they were more adventurous in LNER days?  It can't have been more than a quarter of a mile down to North box, but then they did only have very small wheels.

What's the chance of it heading south to Sandy. . 

Well you have to have hope, don't you.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert (or anyone else interested) - could you confirm whether this photo is PN, please?

Here is a rather hastily taken image to confirm that this is indeed PN. I couldn't quite get the water tank in the right place, but the whole thing is I think close enough to leave no doubt. Hopefully those of you who are cleverer than me, which means nearly everyone, will be able to get the two images in a position where they can be compared directly.

post-98-0-70426800-1437132614_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi Gilbert

Nice comparison of photos, I hope this works for you.

Regards

David

attachicon.gifpost-98-0-70426800-1437132614_thumb.jpg

Here is a rather hastily taken image to confirm that this is indeed PN. I couldn't quite get the water tank in the right place, but the whole thing is I think close enough to leave no doubt. Hopefully those of you who are cleverer than me, which means nearly everyone, will be able to get the two images in a position where they can be compared directly.

attachicon.gifsentinel.jpg

That is so cooooooooool!

• Like 1

Hi Gilbert

Sorry as Peter has pointed out there is only your own image.

I have tried every thing possible that I know to try to put both images is by side for you but as the original image has a copyright to it there is no way to insert it into your PN thread as a photo.

Maybe someone else can come up with both photos.

Regards

David 

Lamp on the left one looks a bit overscale.....

Hi Jonathan

It's not easy to produce a wall mounted lamp to a 4mm scale, the materials are so thin and small that it's almost impossible to produce and make them up.

I know this first hand when I Had Replica Railways make me up four external wall lights for my Haymarket shed building, some times you just have to settle for the best you can get, even if it's slightly over scale.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Speaking of lamps, was it on this thread somebody (I think it was Mallard60022) said about scale 3D printed loco lamps? I was just wondering if any progress had been made, as I'm only just starting out I haven't got any lamps yet and I'd rather wait for these ones for the time being if they are going to be produced, rather than get some overscale ones then regret it.

• Like 1