great northern

Peterborough North

I thought golfers stopped playing when there was thunder and lightning around. Something to do with metal shafted clubs and umbrellas.

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, westerner said:

I thought golfers stopped playing when there was thunder and lightning around. Something to do with metal shafted clubs and umbrellas.

Indeed, Alan. Do I not recall a Tottenham Hotspur player in the '60s who lost his life on the golf course?

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, westerner said:

We do Alan. The rules are now very strict. At the first sign of electrical activity, klaxon sounds, and play is suspended till the all clear is given, which should not be until half an hour after the last thunder/lightning.

This time though we had just had heavy rain, no thunder or lightning at all, until that sudden strike, after which the klaxon sounded almost immediately. Nothing we could have done differently this time. Then of course you have the idiots who think rules don't apply to them, and start playing again as soon as they haven't heard any thunder for a couple of minutes. They never get hit though.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

This morning we have a Hitchin-Colwick mixed goods, bringing a sighting of a K3, which are rarely seen south of New England these days.

2070783252_619781.JPG.a7b6ec559b801e821ed529846174c056.JPG

Then we have some windows.

530666661_9windowsandvan.JPG.5641eca166eece73f864d3647fccf5f7.JPG

and a bit of a van.

That second one is a cracker.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish I was born during the steam age. Having said that, the trains I saw running in the early 1990s as a kid have mostly been consigned to the pages of history. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 2

So can blue men play the whites Gilbert?

Best wishes, 

Alastair M

• Like 1

" I've looked at Clauds from both sides now 
From up and down and still somehow 
It's Claud's illusions I recall 
I really don't know Clauds at all…"

With apologies to Joni Mitchell.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That Claud really is something, such a diminutive looking loco.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Gilbert, I know from databases and photographic records that the ECML had a good number of 9F's allocated to them and ex-lner 2-8-0's - I just wondered if they were used interchangably on the same workings?  

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Gilbert, I know from databases and photographic records that the ECML had a good number of 9F's allocated to them and ex-lner 2-8-0's - I just wondered if they were used interchangably on the same workings?  

One of the slightly frustrating things about PN is that most of the LNER 2.8.0s ended their journeys that tantalising mile further North. Really I should be using almost exclusively WDs and 9Fs, which do seem to have been used interchangably by New England.

• Informative/Useful 2