Peterborough North

great northern

8 hours ago, great northern said:

For our eleven o'clock cuppa today, we will visit the Great Northern hotel.8_hotel_entrance.JPG.eef0b1632c11c9bc633f8947ae4507c0.JPG

Not a very impressive front entrance though, and you'd think the door might be open at this time of day.

I admire your search for realism. The white stuff on the gentleman’s hat realistically suggests he has been divebombed by the local pidgins on the hotel roof.And the poor chap seems to have a large tear down the left  leg of his trousers. He looks look another trainspotter down on his luck to me. No wonder the Hotel shut the door when they saw him coming !

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jazzer said:

I admire your search for realism. The white stuff on the gentleman’s hat realistically suggests he has been divebombed by the local pidgins on the hotel roof.And the poor chap seems to have a large tear down the left  leg of his trousers. He looks look another trainspotter down on his luck to me. No wonder the Hotel shut the door when they saw him coming !

He used to live at Tetleys Mills, but he's come down in the world since then.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
On 10/04/2020 at 05:44, great northern said:

Somehow I now have in excess of 70 images in store, so here is another, featuring the lovely buildings on Platform 6, but without a train to hide the detail.

or any people.  Was there a pandemic at the time?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bogie said:

You do have a point. PN is splendidly populated on the platforms, so a few folk waiting for lifts/taxis/friends or just loitering with intent might add a little life to the forecourt.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Bogie said:

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

You do have a point. PN is splendidly populated on the platforms, so a few folk waiting for lifts/taxis/friends or just loitering with intent might add a little life to the forecourt.

There are a few people about, but I have them where they aren't that obvious, because I'm yet to find any model people that look convincing. I get away with it under the roof, because they just can't be seen clearly, but some of them outside make me shudder, frankly. I would like there to be more, but only if the standard is significantly better.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, jazzer said:

Well after a quick look I assumed it was Local police Inspector, but on reflection it could be a local Solicitor who was mainly employed on conveyancing work for a local estate agent who ran a small chain of Estate Agencies in the Peterborough area in the late 50's Ican Floggit & Brothers.

Coat,Hat,goodbye and Take care.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours catching up on all the happenings at PN.  Hope you are keeping well Gilbert and thanks for continuing to post such inspiring images.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Just spent a very enjoyable couple of hours catching up on all the happenings at PN.  Hope you are keeping well Gilbert and thanks for continuing to post such inspiring images.

Cheers

Tony

Good to hear from you Tony. All is well here, and I trust it is the same with you and yours? More time for modelling at the moment?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

I love the O4/8 Gilbert. May I ask what is it's pedigree?

Best wishes,

Alastair M

It is one of Tim's conversions Alastair. He did it from a Bachmann donor some time ago, and then asked to have it back, as he thought it was not up to his current standards. I got it back a while ago, and it really is excellent.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work. I am about to have a go at an O4/7 using the Bill Bedford loco body and I would certainly like an O4/8 as well. Thanks  :rolleyes: and loving the increased coverage Gilbert, it's a real fillip in these somber times

Alastair

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, great northern said:

Another lovely day, so I'll be talking more photos soon, and Paint.Net is back up and running, so we can continue with the more frequent postings. This time it is the hotel again, but as seen having come around the corner from Station Approach.

197408672_9hotelside.JPG.cc004ee184331490a98e46f140d10d18.JPG

You may notice that there is a rather dodgy looking character lurking in the corner by the railings, as many of my figures do. It looks as though someone has been throwing lumps of coal at him in an effort to move him on, but so far without success.

Having listened to Part 2 of A Handful of Dust on R4Extra this morning from 3 until 4a.m. I am wondering how many 'interesting liaisons' occurred in said Hotel? The one on the Play was a failure and the whole story was quite weird in so many ways but with a clever ending.

Some wonderful pics Gilbert....thank you. I believe there are some new figures available, (ready painted?). Bit expensive compared to Airfix etc. but very good quality. I know the Modelu range is expanding too but they need painting; something to 'arrange between friends' in the future?

All the best matey and enjoy your mIndful walk today.

Philth

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Having listened to Part 2 of A Handful of Dust on R4Extra this morning from 3 until 4a.m. I am wondering how many 'interesting liaisons' occurred in said Hotel? The one on the Play was a failure and the whole story was quite weird in so many ways but with a clever ending.

Some wonderful pics Gilbert....thank you. I believe there are some new figures available, (ready painted?). Bit expensive compared to Airfix etc. but very good quality. I know the Modelu range is expanding too but they need painting; something to 'arrange between friends' in the future?

All the best matey and enjoy your mIndful walk today.

Philth

Many thanks Phil. Any more details on these new figures? I don't mind paying more for quality. As to the Modelu range, as I find myself more willing to take my time over things, and thus achieve a better result, I might well have another go at some of those.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Good to hear from you Tony. All is well here, and I trust it is the same with you and yours? More time for modelling at the moment?

All going well, at least with the pandemic I’m not having to travel for work and Wakefield West is getting some attention.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Which bloke in the leather jacket? I'm confused. it is the signs though. They are actually from the old layout, and so only have Peterborough, without the North. I found some the other day and wanted to see how they might look. Are they a bit large? If so, the new ones I've been meaning to do something about are too large as well. Andy Y was helping me to find a way to set up the correct ones, but we haven't worked it out yet. It's cutting round the b***** things which is the problem.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1