The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

At 8:32am PDT (16:32 BST), 40 years ago on the morning of May 18, 1980, a magnitude 5.1 earthquake and landslide, triggered the explosive eruption of the Mt. Saint Helens stratovolcano about 100km from here (if the crow flew in a roughly NNE direction). 

We hadn't moved to Canada at that time. However, a neighbour here said he heard it go off, and we are about 215 miles north in a straight line. He thought someone had fired a gun in the woods behind our houses.

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium

Haven't visited ERs since yesterday morning and it's taken most of this evening just to read quickly through the new posts. Must be a lot of folk stuck at home for some reason.......

A belated happy birthday Rick - just snuck in while it's still applicable!

A mixed day of catching up with friends and family via various telephonic and internet technologies, some administrative and financial niffnaff and trivia, catering (my day to do the cooking) and last but by no means least some modelling!

Lots of interesting posts on matters mathematical bringing back long forgotten memories of guessing sticks and little red books of mathematical tables. Possibly not as efficient as thumbing a small electronic gismo but somehow much more satisfying. 

As for musical tastes, I couldn't even begin to draw up a top ten but maybe it is worth noting that at various times today I have listened to and enjoyed Dire Straits, a Rodrigo concerto, Barbra Streisand, John Denver and Vaugh Williams. I think eclectic may be the word.

Ah, well, and so to bed with the start of another week in purdah beckoning. Maybe I'll be forced to spend some more time in the workshop....

Night night all.

Dave

• Like 19

31 minutes ago, MichaelE said:

These are not ve recent, but her and I look pretty much the same today.

I think she's even better looking than her namesake. The puppy pic is brilliant. She reminds me of our Heidi.

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

This is what I have been playing with. No trains were displaced.

F63C19D1-4E12-490D-A7CD-A1AEC4C1886D.jpeg.542988929703687ab8d4e9bdef533a19.jpeg

It could be interesting if we could operate one of the controllers via the Internet to set up a race. I suspect the latency could be a bit of a problem unless you had a similar handicap.

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

You do, although I notice that bears, leopards, rats and hippos are conspicuous by their absence.

Lucky there's no camel:  Whom might have taken the hump....  

Camel..covered by Flanders ans Swann.."In the desert". They also cover Gnus and, of course Hippopotamii.

:jester:

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Has anyone else been able to detect high flying airplanes in Lockdown?

Two yestersay, one at 32000ft, then, last evening one at 35,000ft. Amazing.

Cricket umpires have had a present. Details of what you can and can't do when recreational cricket restarts...over 70..no umpiring  diabetic..no umpiring, heart condition...no umpiring.

Don't touch the ball (plenty of opportunity for bowlers there then!), change on your own..most umpire changing rooms aren't big enough for two people to get changed in anyway..methinks the ECB needs to move out of Lords and into grass roots cricket!!

Today should be parcel delivery day. If that parcel arrives grass cutting will be resumed.

If gardening can't take place then..more  muddling!

Notice that the UK fishermen may be realising that, having sold their quotas to other countries ' fleets they won't be getting them back soon...

Baz

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Camel..covered by Flanders ans Swann.."In the desert". They also cober Gnus and, of course Hippopotamii.

:jester:

Baz

Gnu gnus,  there are Aussie Gnus. 

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TheQ said:

Gnu gnus,  there are Aussie Gnus. 

Fixed the spellung mistake as I didn't see any Gnus in Oz..snakes, roos, koalas, wombats, but no gnus..

Baz

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

13 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

....And I get fed up with hearing people say, without evidence "it's an outlier, we can ignore it."...

I agree, that’s dangerous thinking. In my line of work, we pay close attention to the outliers as they may represent a finding that will replicate when the drug under study is approved and used in large populations. Fortunately, most of the time outliers can be discounted after careful investigation. But to ignore on a whim? Rather foolish I would say.

13 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...Fully dressed for dinner. Warning - some may find white socks offensive! 

12 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

My first album on the list would be MY FAIR LADY, original Broadway cast in glorious mono. The rest of the list would vary according to my taste on the day that I compose the list.

Firstly, a belated happy birthday to you Rick; secondly, surely your lower leg coverings should be called “hose” and not “socks”? A fiercely Hibernian Scotsman of my acquaintance is adamant that only the ill-informed and “sassenachs” refer to “hose” as “socks” (sic). He also has strong opinions on what colour hose (Lovat Green, Black or Ecru) should be worn with a kilt on formal occasions (apparently, Lovat Green).

Some my earliest records, before I became twisted and tainted by that new-fangled jive music, were recordings of stage and screen musicals. Perhaps it’s the result of the hardening and furring of my cranial vasculature, but I find most post-1960s “Musicals” pretty “bleh” For what it’s worth, I think few can match Rodgers and Hammerstein.

11 hours ago, brianusa said:

Maybe I should explain I'm really a Classic FM type,  Most pop music ended for me in about 1955 when rock 'n roll came on the scene, hence my affinity to adult popular music of today including musicals, movie themes, etc.

Brian.

I thought that pop music started with the advent of rock ‘n’ roll. :biggrin_mini:

My tastes in music are pretty eclectic and I can find enjoyable listening in practically any genre, although (says he, sticking his neck out) I find most “modern classical”,  most rap music and most current “pop” music much like most modern art - the promotion of the minimally talented by the maximally unscrupulous in order to make maximal amount of money (dons tin helmet and retires to a safe distance)

9 hours ago, Barry O said:

...Favourite Bands seen live - Genesis, Lindesfarne, Mark Knopfler (well Dire Strates) , Fleetwood Mac...

...I do listen to Classic FM a lot.. her indoors doesn't like the adverts and retreats into her lair with Radio 3..

For various reasons, mostly involving my travelling a lot for work, I haven’t seen as many bands as I wanted to. I did, however, managed to see Pink Floyd on the PULSE tour (absolutely amazing) and as a spotty teenager managed to get to see Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Frank Zappa, Jethro Tull, B.B. King, Miles Davis and a host of other blues and jazz classics. I also got to see Steeleye Span in the mid 80s and they were a bit disappointing (perhaps Maddy Prior was having an off day)

I find Classic FM (which I can get through one of the streaming apps on my smart phone) enjoyable although I do agree that the frequent and constant ads are both distracting and annoying.  Radio Three is, for me, very much the proverbial Curate’s Egg: parts of it are excellent. I do enjoy listening to Radio 3’s Through The Night on the BBC iPlayer catch up, however I have found that the “listenability” seems to be dependent on which of the three regular presenters are hosting the show (this is assuming that the presenters have the choice of the music to be played and not some central BBC planning committee).  I don’t mind obscure, innovative or modern, but it has to be “listenable“.

8 hours ago, MichaelE said:

These are not ve recent, but her and I look pretty much the same today.

8j8CeuC.jpg

What a splendid beast (and the dog is absolutely beautiful) :jester:

She is a lovely looking dog. Is her character as sweet as she looks?

My biggest regret with Lucy is that I didn’t get her as a puppy (we got her from a shelter when she was about 3 - 4), so I missed the opportunity to deeply bond with her. Lucy currently shares many traits with Mrs iD, inasmuch as both tolerate me with affectionate bemusement (amongst other things).

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Part of the elegance was in the expensive-to-make compound curves. I suspect that the aerodynamic effects were somewhat negligible at the low speeds the trains operated. Anyway, with the current crop of locomotives even I can not tell the difference between the two major builders!:biggrin_mini:.....

....BTW, I do have a copy of DSOTM; I started to listen to it by spinning "MONEY", ten or fifteen seconds into the song, it came of off the turntable. :o ...

(Too) “expensive to make” seems to be curse of modern business, it’s almost as if there is race to the bottom to provide the cheapest selling item that makes the biggest possible profit by cutting quality in production (forgive me, that’s my alter-ego, Captain Cynical, talking). Almost paradoxically, the high end luxury market which (presumably) spares no expense in regards to materials, workmanship and build quality is doing quite nicely, thank you very much. I read somewhere that, in times of want, people will forego necessities for luxury (hence the increase in alcohol and tobacco sales in difficult times) 

DSOTM really IS worth persevering with. First, pour yourself a large glass of your favourite tipple, drink it, refill and repeat the process, refill a third time and start DSOTM on track 1, side 1. Sipping a single malt with DSOTM is heartily recommended.

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

...There are tartans that are restricted,  RAF,  Walmart,  etc where you must show a connection...

You’re having a giraffe, aren’t you? Walmart tartan? As Private Eye would put it “shurely shome mishtake

I belong to a Verein and, for our formal meetings, we are required to wear full Highland Dress (although trews can be worn instead of the kilt). Our resident Hibernian (see above) recommends either Royal Stuart or Black Watch for those of us who cannot claim a link (tenuous or otherwise) with a clan. Apparently, anyone can wear Black Watch as the regiment was raised from all the clans, unlike - say - The Seaforth Highlanders who were raised from Clan McKenzie (or so I am told). At the Verein I wear McKenzie tartan as a very close and dear friend is a McKenzie (a tenuous link, I know, but it’s there).

Have A Splendid Day
iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny here and a fine dry and warm day forecast for the twin hamlets of Much Binding in The Back and Much Aching All Over. 

All I did was wash the car and do a little bit of weeding but I seem to have seized up again and also got a slightly sunburnt head.

The Boss has prescribed a walk shortly but I'm still thinking about that. At the moment it would be more of a hobble.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Yet again another dull start to the day, but at least it isn’t raining so I shouldn’t get wet during my extended walks around The Christie. Breakfast has now been consumed and I’ll be setting off shortly to ensure I get there in plenty of time, but I expect they’ll be an awful lot of queueing and waiting around before I’m actually seen. 

After that there isn't much planned for the rest of the day, a little bit of pottering my be the order of the day. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

My tastes in music are pretty eclectic and I can find enjoyable listening in practically any genre, although (says he, sticking his neck out) I find most “modern classical”,  most rap music and most current “pop” music much like most modern art - the promotion of the minimally talented by the maximally unscrupulous in order to make maximal amount of money (dons tin helmet and retires to a safe distance)

I couldn't agree more. Harrison Birtwhistle, John Cage, Tracey Emin, etc. etc. blechhh......

I'll get my tin hat and come and join you in the bunker.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3