The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

How many of todays students would understand BODMAS or SOHCAHTOA I wonder?  

All of them hopefully. Key Stage 2 and 3 National  Curriculum. To avoid the necessity for BODMAS one would certainly learn about postfix notations but I didn’t teach that until I was teaching A level students (and it wasn’t in maths). 

• Informative/Useful 16

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

All of them hopefully. Key Stage 2 and 3 National  Curriculum. To avoid the necessity for BODMAS one would certainly learn about postfix notations but I didn’t teach that until I was teaching A level students (and it wasn’t in maths). 

They should, but they don't

A commonly displayed 'puzzle' on FB is:

6 ÷ 2(1 + 2) = (or something like that)

There are vociferous arguments - Loads don't recognise that the 2 before the bracket is part of the bracket and should be calculated first. That's the trouble when calculators took over from mathematics. I often have to say, "Maths is not just about sums".

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Totally backasswards and miles off, means you were taking the urine and your result gets tossed from the data harvesting. 

Henceforth I shall answer pie or 42

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Kingzance said:

heading that list might well be an album that includes tracks by the delightful Ms Ronstadt called FM. 

I've got this album, also one of my favourites. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Henceforth I shall answer pie or 42

Huckleberry pie I hope. 

42 is always the right answer to life the universe and everything. Of course you already knew that as you also know where your towel is. You’re a real hoopy Frood. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AndrewC said:
14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Huckleberry pie I hope. 

I am not actually sure if I have eaten huckleberry pie. During our visit to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland we sampled quite a few pies with blue berries that weren’t always called blueberry.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. It was morning when I started reading the last two and a bit pages. Happy birthday Rick and many more of 'em.

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think you will find that this occurred because some of the membership of the GOG wanted a Facebook page, but the Management Committee wouldn't sanction it.  So the rebels made the point with their the Not the Gauge O Guild Group.

Of course, the Management Committee then  decided that perhaps they'd better get out of the 19th Century, and stop scratching their quills on parchment in favour of something a bit more up to date, so created The Gauge O Guild Group.

Edit:

One wonders whether you have individuals posting the same stuff on both these groups, WT, RMW, and any number of other model railways forums that they frequent.

I noticed that the 'official' group despite having fewer members has 50% more posts. I just wonder how many are relevent to the subject in hand. 

16 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Totally backasswards and miles off, means you were taking the urine and your result gets tossed from the data harvesting. 

Fun eh. 

I'll have to remember that so 42 and Pi it is. (Or in HH's case pie.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Happy Birthday Rick.

Maths...…………..learned it all at school and college and barely ever used it again in my working life, if I needed to know anything, it was in a book , I did not have either the time nor inclination to work out on a bit of paper what size cable I needed for a given supply or work out the fuse rating for a motor. A lot of what I did need to know to earn a living was not taught in a class room. A lot of education is written by educationists who never actually worked in industry or commerce, so the over concentration on theory and formulae has to be unlearnt, when given a graduate, it usually took me around a year to re-educate them for what is actually needed, it took me considerably longer I guess to get the experience level required. The sad thing is with the loss of industry in the UK the loss of those skills will probably never come back, when I worked in the machine tool industry there were hand and machining skills that have gone forever, yes CNC machines did do a lot of the work, but it was those men's skills that built the CNC machines, they did not re-produce by themselves. Watching a craftsman hand building an Aston Martin at the old Newport Pagnell factory was very different from watching a robot knock out panels at the Toyota plant, did the same job, but a huge difference in the finished product.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

As new entrants to teaching needed at least C (now a number) grades at GCSE, Aditi’s former college insisted that all staff without such a qualification took numeracy and literacy tests. This included people like Aditi with O levels not GCSE. The college would not budge on this. I think Aditi was cross that she got 99% on literacy. I suspect she would have argued that the mark scheme was wrong. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Top 10 albums is a big ask, I've tried to pick key albums as my mood can change the choices

On Campus by John Lee Hooker was the first album I got for Christmas

Ummagumma by Pink Floyd, I was at the Mothers club when part of this album was recorded

Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention an album that was a large part of the inspiration for a band I was with at the time.

8 by the Chieftains was another folk album I still play a lot, there was a thought to learn to play the fiddle at one time, but it never happened

Untitled by the Byrds is an album I have bought several times, having worn out the original vinyl one

Self titled first album by the Rolling Stones the second album I got for Christmas

Tapestry by Carole King, still I think the best album by a singer songwriter I have ever heard.

Easy Rider soundtrack by various artists, this film had quite an effect on me and probably still does, the music stands up more to modern scrutiny that the film though

Brother in Arms by Dire Straits as fine an example of the guitarists work as any

Diamond Life by Sade, a singer I can listen to over and over again.

Nearly made it includes the likes of Ian Dury and the Blockheads New Boots and Panties, Stoosh by Skunk Anansie  and Debut by Bjork all fill an alternative mood slot, I was watching some of Bjork yesterday on youtube, she has one heck of a voice, even if the material is a tad whacky at times.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1