The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

You'll love it.....

Strange.

As for my current collection (as well as several jars squirreled away) - all those years in Hotels on business proved beneficial in some ways, especially as a means for stocking up on my collection.  These prove very useful for taking away on holiday with me, as I can get a couple of slices of toast (with possibly a little left over) out of each one.  It does seem (to me at least) to darken with age a little, and possibly thicken up as well.  Doesn't affect the wonderful taste though...

IMG_0725%5B1%5D.JPG.258de88425165b289dd76e85a6ea9f62.JPG

I spent ten years travelling the country, never saw marmite at any of the hotels I used, but then I never looked for it or asked for it. 

It's already 18C I'd better get a mask on and get out there. 

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Just seen on TV the queues yesterday for the drive through McDonald's on the A217 Sutton By Pass. Unbelievable.

If they're that desperate for a burger can't they make their own?  It's not difficult, even I can do it and mine are quite popular amongst family and friends.

Just a particularly fine example of how we are surrounded by complete f*****ts. No wonder I can't get any sense out of the people who work in banks, energy companies, local Government, etc. Their brains have turned to mush through being brainwashed into "needing" McDonalds'.

If only I could find a desert island within my financial means!

• Like 12
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, southern42 said:

' morning all from red dragon land.

RAF training going on outside.  We originally thought it was some private plane out for a noisy joy ride fly around but later found out otherwise.  I am a lot happier it being someone from Valley zooming around.  These guys have my full admiration for the job they do.

"But the RAF is equipping the Texan aircraft with new safety harnesses which will conform to British safety standards and which allows for over sea flying, resulting in a reduction in flights over land, minimising noise pollution."

Reading that makes me think of Kiplings poem called, IIRC, Tommy. The woman who is complaining will no doubt support our brave boys and girls when they are bombing ISIS but isn't prepared to allow them to learn their basic flying skills in safety.  The basic training for the French Armee de L'Air is donevout of Cognac about 30 miles away. They apparently have a rotas as to where they fly so we seem to get them about once a week.  At the monent they are almost the only planes we get apart from one or two high flying jets a day.

Jamie

• Like 17
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Too cream crackered last night to have that long hot soak in the bath, just as well really as it was a lot cooler this morning. I'm not bothered about peanut butter or Marmite, I've not tasted either since I was in short trousers. I am overweight for sure but I can't tell how much as I broke my scales the other day, no not what you think. My bathroom faces south and gets full sun for most of the daylight hours. The scales have a plastic cover that had become brittle in the sunlight and I managed to punch a hole in it with my big toe. The replacement (glass-topped) was acquired yesterday and will be placed in service as soon as it arrives. 

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome.
  • Like 16
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

That’s appalling, not the Silver Anniversary  (of course not, congratulations from me as well, Mr & Mrs Andrew C), but the news that the average time in prison for murder In the UK is just over 16 years. What ever happened to the “life” in life imprisonment?

My interpretation is that a life sentence is just that:  However, when a judge passes  a life sentence, a minimum tariff  has to be stipulated. ie 20 years, after which a prisoner is eligible for parole: Aka early release.  Once released the ex prisoner could still be recalled (re arrested) back to prison should a further offence be committed.

Judges, although responsible for sentencing, have to do this in conjunction with the sentencing guidelines laid down by the justice department, and therein lies  a lot of the contention when newspapers start raving about ridiculous sentences for offences.

If we take a road traffic collision where a pedestrian has been killed by a driver whilst crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing, the driver may well be arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.  After the investigation is completed the police will pass the file to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to see whether criminal charges can be brought.

If the  driver is charged with causing death by dangerous driving (Max sentence 14 years), and immediately pleads guilty, then the max sentence is halved due to the rules laid down in the sentencing guidelines, so (s)he can now only go to prison for  a maximum of 7 years. 

However, due to legal wrangling between the CPS and an astute defence lawyer, the charge of causing death by dangerous driving is dropped on condition that the offender pleads to the lesser charge of causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving (max 5 years), then the maximum sentence the judge can pass is 30 months! (Because the judge has to apply the 50% rule).

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Back from the once-weekly Tesco mega-shop. An interest in pre-Grouping wagon loading practices does have practical application:

1314067940_DY2493D29988181showingmethodofloading.jpg.ff3e2f98236531ad0f702633c78a5288.jpg

NRM DY 2493, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

That looks like some of the shopping trolleys I've seen recently 

• Like 7
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 2