The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, bbishop said:

Richard,  without looking it up, Packets were allowed to Exeter, rebuilt LPs to Plymouth and unrebuilt to most places in Devon and Cornwall.  Everything took the Meldon Viaducts dead slow.

Bill

And to bring it up to full completeness MNs were of course allowed to Plymouth on the main line route via Newton Abbot and Totnes.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

BTW, re. Bulleid's Pacifics I was only half in jest. It may be an apocryphal tale but it has been claimed that, due to non-availability of sheet metal at that time, some of the cladding wasn't exactly metallic.

Discuss :)

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

10 hours ago, brianusa said:

...There were few of these kinds of problems when Westminster ruled the parliamentary roost and it was all Great Britain and the United Kingdom was whole.  Not this separated state that exists today at the behest of a few ardent separatists that imagine that they can do better individually.  If their performance so far is any indication, then there is little future in their endeavour.  This latest 'invasion' example just adds to their folly!

Brian.

I think that you have illuminated the problem (and I believe it is one relevant to nearly all Western Democracies) how do you balance strong central leadership/guidance/authority with flexible, diverse and locally focussed lower tier government? I think that you can argue that a fully centralised government is not the answer (Whitehall doesn’t always know best), but devolving most everything to the counties/states/Kantons isn’t a recipe for a cohesively run country either. Although, to be fair, it does work to a greater or lesser degree when there is a very large social, economic and political concordance between the sub units (as it does it Switzerland). And, also to be fair, a heavily centralised state can also work - as in China, though at a social/political/economic/environmental cost most of us in the West would not find acceptable.
This balancing act between central and local can also be seen in the media: in Switzerland there are a few national newspapers, but in comparison local (well Kantonal) newspapers are thriving (albeit down in number from the pre-WWI high point of 406 titles), whereas in the UK most newspapers are “national” - which means London centric (one Newspaper, renowned for its typos, has been accused of having over 90% of its UK topic content focussed on London).

I am not sure what the optimal balance would be, but running everything from London (or from Bern for that matter) is probably not the optimal solution.

9 hours ago, brianusa said:

You should be so lucky!  All I get is a young, bearded techie type looking thoughtfully at something or other to satisfy his elevated ego, or at least thats what the ad implies!

Brian.

All I get are ads featuring attractive young women, in tight gym clothes, offering to help build up my pecs (Gym membership offers). To be quite honest, at my age, having a tech toy to satisfy my “elevated ego“ would probably be the better choice for me.:jester:

7 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

...A nightcap of rum and shrub was enjoyed during the performance..

Shrub? What’s that? Tonic? another type of mixer? cuttings from the garden?:jester:

Enquiring minds need to know.

7 hours ago, newbryford said:

...As it is the updated version of my current car, I shall probably be spending the latter part of Wednesday evening getting to grips with the new gadgets and gizmos on it...

Aah, the joys of a new car. :D

With exception of our current car and the two “company cars” I drove when based in the UK, all my cars have been either “used“ (Showroom models, or 1 year old trade ins) or extremely second hand (such as the last car I bought when living in the US. I found it through the newspaper small ads and it was a great little car even though the radio could only get C&W stations, but it only cost me $600 [1982 dollars]).

But I digress, what I wanted to say is that, nowadays, one needs a degree in electronic engineering (or, even better, a 10 year old niece/nephew/grandchild) to figure how to work all the “gizmos”. And as for “home repair/maintenance”, the last car I reckon I could have - successfully - worked upon was my first company car: a Ford Sierra (1984). Topping up the oil, refilling the windscreen washing fluid tank and, of course, filling up the fuel tank are the only things that I feel qualified to do on our current car (and the oil is taken care of at the routine services). A far cry from the days when all you needed were a set of spanners, a set of screwdrivers and a heavy hammer and you could fix almost anything!

As a relevant digression, I must say that it is quite interesting to contemplate how what were once “luxury appointments” found only on the top end models from the luxury marques (air-conditioning, automatic gearbox, cruise control, electric windows, navigation systems, stereo radio, et cetera) have now become pretty much standard on most cars. I think you’d have search far and wide to find a currently manufactured car with the simplicity of, say, even a 1984 Ford Sierra. TBH I can’t actually think of one. Any suggestions, folks?

Enjoy Sunday

iD

• Like 16
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

And, also to be fair, a heavily centralised state can also work - as in China ...

I'm not sure all the citizens of Xinjiang province* would agree. Or Tibet. Or Hong Kong. (Perhaps I should stop now.)

* Properly the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

17 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I'm not sure all the citizens of Xinjiang province* would agree. Or Tibet. Or Hong Kong. (Perhaps I should stop now.)

* Properly the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region.

True, but you omitted the caveat in my comment, to whit: though at a social/political/economic/environmental cost most of us in the West would not find acceptable.

Suppression of dissent and oppression of minority groups is clearly a cost few in the Western Democracies would agree to

• Like 2
  • Agree 14

22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

... you omitted the caveat in my comment ...

I'm not looking to argue. Indeed I didn't quote it, but my comment was unrelated to your caveat and would be directed at the words "can also work". Perhaps I should have highlighted them. A full discussion on that would be far beyond our proscription on politics so I'm not inclined to go further and offer this as a polite explanation of my editorial decision in my earlier reply. (I suspect we may not really differ here but it's off piste.)

I shouldn't have said anything. My apologies.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 17

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

...I shouldn't have said anything. My apologies.

Of course you should have said something, I welcome fair and honest criticism and comment on all my endeavours (especially my modelling) and definitely no apologies are needed. It was a fair comment and - as you suggest - we are likely to be on the same page on this subject  (a topic, amongst many, to be discussed over a beer, should we ever have the good fortune to meet).
The sad truth is that some of the most reprehensible and/or repressive regimes in history have functioned very well (certainly for the ruling elite and a good chunk of the populace). I, for one, would not have liked to been a Catholic or a Dissenting Protestant under the regime of Queen Elizabeth I - to refer to one of too many possibilities.
We can be a very unpleasant species at times (and at others, we soar like the angels)
Cheers

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 14
  • Agree 4

ChrisF, given your musings about music:

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Here once again is the parallel universe diary.  Were it not for that ruddy virus I would have been at Stoke Mandible today for Railex and finding a kindred spirit or several with whom to put the world to rights over breakfast.  On Tuesday afternoon I would have made the effort to drive down to Welwyn for a talk by Chris Green.  Wednesday evening would have seen an HMRS study walk from Luton Airport Parkway to Harpenden East, sticking as closely as possible to the disused railway.  With the aid of Zoom we will get that in virtual form!  On Thursday I would have been visiting the shed where the layout lives, in Stevenage, to do some m*d*ll*ng and stir-frying lunch for me and Poorly Pal before dinner in the local ‘Spoons and the outbreak of democracy that is the AGM of the Stevenage Locomotive Society.  How unreal all that seems now.  On Saturday I would have contemplated catching the bus over to Oxford for Pride, possibly wearing the new and eminently suitable T shirt which JohnDMJ recently drew to my attention and which is somewhere in the postal system as I type.

Put the track by the Carpenters, "It's Yesterday Once More" or even Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past" away and thrive on Fleetwood Mac's "Don't Stop"!

• Like 18