The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

During the lockdown we couldn't use supermarket home delivery so we opted for click and collect; alternating weekly between Morrisons and Tesco. The actual collecting experience was much the same but Tesco were always more likely to either substitute something, usually offering an alternative we didn't want, or leave off altogether. 

A funny thing pre-pandemic when we lived in our old house an ASDA van pulled up outside and the driver carried a heavy looking tub of groceries to our front door. "ASDA delivery", he said as he tried to push me back into the hallway. I stood firm and told him we hadn't ordered anything. He showed me the delivery note: it had the correct house number but the address was on xxxxx Close, we lived on xxxxx Avenue. So he had to cart it back to his van grumbling as though it was my fault and by now it had started raining. Get your laughs where you can and stay safe all.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

We've still got a little baker but I avoid going in there as the cakes ......... are too tempting and too big!  

You really know how to confuse a Bear.....

20 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Remember to renew your passport in plenty of time.

Thanks - I have a reminder on the Lappy, which also takes into account the EU silliness about refusing valid Passports that were issued more than ten years ago.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Paddy McGintys Goat.

It ate the note, and despite being stomach pumped, all they got was sixpence...

Its a long time since I've heard the song!

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Thanks - I have a reminder on the Lappy, which also takes into account the EU silliness about refusing valid Passports that were issued more than ten years ago.

Not EU silliness but Brexit stupidity.

• Agree 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Thanks.

In as sarcastic a voice as I can manage....

At least you can't see the terrible jumpers he wore!

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here....

Postie delivered the promised parcel as intended - 4L of Oil for Harry the Honda; their email basically told me it could arrive any time before 7-30pm meant any hope of a Hilly Wander & Pit stop for Bear went out the window; I could still go for the wander but as the pit crew have foxtrotted off I've decided to abort any ideas of that.

I did get to saw two exhaust pipes in half though - a careful inspection & measure of the old bits & new silencers suggested that an existing weld line was a rather good place to cut, as anything rearwards of that line would be too large a diameter to fit inside the new silencers.  I can always cut a bit more off as required, should the need arise.

More work on the documents that'll accompany the Beary Will, such Expression of Wishes and also "Useful Notes for my Executors" etc; I'm now at the "fine tuning" stage so nearly there.

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

These are the last two slides from my presentation passing on my knowledge on Monday

As opposed to "I am the seagull - you are the target" as happens all too often. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear must add the following to the Beary Bucket List:

"Scoff Toast & Marmite until you don't want any more"

- as it always seems to run out far too quickly 😢

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Is that a secret RAF code for naughty indoor shenanigans?

Like ‘Allo, ‘Allo’s “flying helmet and stick of celery”?

That reminds me of an immortal few lines in one of the MASH books where Hawkeye uses the belly button to reconstruct another piece of anatomy then remarks ". She'll have to find somewhere else to put the salt next time she eats celery in bed". 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I don’t think,I have a bucket list. There are I suppose  a few places I wouldn’t mind visiting but I can’t say I am eager enough to create a list. I suppose being well enough to go to the places Aditi would like to visit . As for activities ,I don’t want to fly in a balloon , go diving or learn to dance. What my heart attack did do was make me realise that if you do want to do something it is probably better doing it while you can. 

Oh good.....where's the Toaster.......

• Like 15
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Forgot to mention, today is 22 years since I last went to work for pay, where has the time gone.  Only 6 yrs and 8 months till I will have draw my pension for longer than I paid it. Even better I got paid for another three months due to accumulated leave etc. 

Jamie

It's now 16 years and 26 days since I retired. I worked for 37 years 6 months and 9 days to get my pension which means I've got 21 years, 5 months and 14 days until I've collected my pension for as long as I paid into it. That is of course if I live to 92.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I don't know where today's gone, I went shopping this afternoon and that took longer than expected, I guess that I'm getting slower as I get older. I withdrew some more modelling tokens this afternoon as I'm visiting the Ilford and West Essex exhibition in Romford tomorrow. The venue is Marshals Park academy in Petits Lane, Romford. There used to be an exhibition there a few years ago run by the now defunct Romford model railway club.

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1