The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Tunnels under the Clyde? Yes, there were two but there were actually four if you include the subway.

Well, if you count the separate vehicle bores and the pedestrian tunnel of the Whiteinch Tunnel, there are six.

Walking through either of the pedestrian tunnels is/was a weird experience.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

True, but I am a big fan of heated (defogging), electric mirrors. Heated seats are nice too.

The cost of electronic systems (including software) for ADAS, infotainment etc, is quickly surpassing everything else in a modern vehicle.

It wasn't always the case but now, unless you are talking about ridiculously exotic vehicles, there's virtually nothing to differentiate vehicles based on mechanical features. The manufacturers have been forced to use software (and a lot of marketing) to maintain some degree of differentiation.

There was a similar situation in the US  (now long gone) when GM tried to persuade buyers a Buick was worth more than a Chevrolet (it wasn't) or Ford tried to persuade people a Mercury was worth more than a Ford (it wasn't either). (Also Hillman v Singer)

I have a "basic" diesel Ram 1500. It lacks features like a lot of chrome, leather and heated seats (which I've had on other vehicles) but I don't miss any of them :)

Of course none of the above applies to my Fiat Spider.

• Like 14
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Re the quiz, many are ignoring, despite Stationmaster's advice, the verb tenses in the question. So Bristol and Glasgow have had two, but not at the same time. While Exeter has only ever had one.

I am not familiar with the history of Glasgow airports, and I don't count Prestwick (only a Ryanair passenger would). Bristol has had two public airports, Whitchurch and Lulsgate.

Edit: As per someone else's post, Prestwick is still officially Glasgow's second airport So airports is not the right answer.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 9

22 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Re the quiz, many are ignoring, despite Stationmaster's advice, the verb tenses in the question. So Bristol and Glasgow have had two, but not at the same time. While Exeter has only ever had one.

Let us hope, for Stationmaster's sake, it wasn't a trick question.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Anyway in a short while I'm off back to the swimming pool emporium with the trailer attached to the car to buy a new one. 

According to something I was just reading a decent size in-ground pool in the US will run you around $75,000 at the moment. The house we bought in Arizona (in 1983) came with a good sized pool but I seem to remember we only paid $84,000 for the whole shooting match :)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AndyID said:

Agreed. Glasgow has two art galleries, but I doubt if that's it either. There were the two uni's for a while but there have been more that that for quite a while. Bridges over the Clyde to station termini? There were two but that's a bit too obscure, even for Mr S. Tunnels under the Clyde? Yes, there were two but there were actually four if you include the subway. Railway Termini? Two at the moment but there were at least three or four.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be the number of chippies in 1897.

Actually, to save further speculation, it's the number of approved muddy hollows in each location.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chrisf said:

It was washed down with an indifferent chardonnay because I could not find hock or riesling.  Remind me not to go to that supermarket again.  

Don’t go to that supermarket again! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The sun is shining and the wind has now gone, so shortly I’ll make a start on repainting the fan light over the front door, the front door frame. I was hoping to do this last year after finishing the door, but after getting the dates for Sheila’s first eye op, other more pressing jobs took precedence. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm glad to see the shed is being maintained to the high standards expected by the Directors of the Midland Railway company.

Remember the location - it's more likely to be maintained to Midi standards.

Not much to report except that it's sunny in North Hipposhire and all evidence of Muddy hollows has disappeared.

Dave

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Morning all,

Coll breezy and dull here so far, although we are forecast plenty of sun later, but a maximum temperature of only 13 degrees according to the BBC website.  The actual temperature is usually higher than on the website, but will still be way less than places further south and east.

Some gardening is planned for today.  My rows of peas need some weeding, and more beetroot seeds are to be planted, as there is absolutely nothing showing from the first two rows planted a few weeks back.  Grass cutting then planned for this afternoon.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Remember the location - it's more likely to be maintained to Midi standards.

Not much to report except that it's sunny in North Hipposhire and all evidence of Muddy hollows has disappeared.

Dave

Thank you for your swift and erudite response.

French pronunciation and spelling was not my strong point whilst as school

• Like 9
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Actually, to save further speculation, it's the number of approved muddy hollows in each location.

I previously mentioned unicorn sanctuaries but I am pleased to have my error corrected.

Mike’s puzzle is like those questions on “Round Britain Quiz” where the answer turns out to be something like Jacobean bobbins.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning, its hard to believe its a bank holiday. 

4 hours ago, pH said:

I know that, but they have both been known as Glasgow (*****) Airport. Actually, I will now argue against my own answer and mention Glasgow (Prestwick) Airport.

Luton and Southend designate themselves as 'London' airports. 

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Approved by whom?

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

And a sunny one it is.  her ladyship has stated that later today she wishes be chauffeured around the countryside 'to get her out of the house' - we will remain in car and not join the crowds, unless i despatch her into Tesco for a 'paper.

Now to remind you (as if you need it :rolleyes: ) of the question -  'Glasgow has had one twice, Bristol has had one twice, but Exeter has only had one once.  What is it?'  There is nothing I can see in there to imply anything about the time at which 'it' did or didn't happen - simply a statement in respect of each name (therein might lie a potential clue).   KZ had got very much on the right sort of track with reference to two separate things in his first response to the question.  I can confirm that it has nothing at all to do with railways or airports in any way shape or form (Note *) and it might pay to think in what wider or other context the names of the places might be used.  There is no trick to the question the information in respect of each place name is a simple statement of fact but do note the tenses in both the statements of fact and the question and don't forget that 'has had' can have a number of meanings.

The Note * -  I'll say that before anybody does come up with that answer although in that context Exeter has more than one anyway.

Looks like it might be a good listener question to submit to 'Round Britain Quiz'.  I have a suspicion who might be the first to get the answer but I shall wait and see. 

In the meanwhile enjoy your day and stay safe (without frying your brain)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I previously mentioned unicorn sanctuaries but I am pleased to have my error corrected.

Mike’s puzzle is like those questions on “Round Britain Quiz” where the answer turns out to be something like Jacobean bobbins.

Your post was up before mine but you will see you have definitely got a realistic reference to the form of the question. (alas 'jacobean bobbins', while an absolutely spiffing answer, is incorrect).

PS If you know what to look for the information needed to answer the question can be easily found on the 'net

Edited by The Stationmaster
Add PS
  • Like 11