The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Moss on roofs, now that's something I haven't seen in years

Moss and lichen on the roof are supposed to indicate that we don’t live in an area with air pollution. Black spot on roses is I believe another less attractive benefit of clean air too. Big cities don’t seem to have as many vehicles chucking out fumes as they used too but we still notice the difference in air quality when we travel from Benfleet up to London. 
My parcels arrived including the one that came via Packlink and Hermes. As it originated over the river in Mid Kent it must have passed close to here in its way to the sorting hub in Rugby.

We had thunder and lightning earlier. It didn’t last long. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Managed to visit Fort Knox GP Surgery. well drilled process to get in, be met, testing done and being released. Figures from Test done today not available till next week , Sister Drac will ring and growl at me for being a naughty boy re weight and other measures. (and no, I cannot get an Antibody Test until we have some in Leeds) The HCA was very worried about what could happen on Saturday night with some of the people who attend his local pub.. Hopefully it will be damp and cold so may keep people sensible.

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

The roof of the house,  has moss,  the roof of the garage,  had lots of moss that left with ivy,  the roof of the landrover had moss.. The jungle grass has lots of moss in it.. 

I've just had haggis and chips for tea.. The Highland Park will follow later.. 

1 hour ago, J. S. Bach said:

A rousing good morning owl from the Piedmont. It is going to be a great day; as in off to Gene's for my weekly hit of corned beef and cabbage! :yahoo_mini:

Or as the squaddies called it, bully beef and gas cape..normally followed by stewed sweet tea,  made with condensed milk from a tin. 

A little rumble of thunder occurred,  along with heavy rain for a short time.. Ben the scaredy Collie has hidden in his cage.. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

... thinking about the sailing boat again, this time about the Kicking strap or Vang. "Vang" from the Dutch "Vangen" meaning to catch. Many sailing terms are from Dutch, since the Dutch gave Charles the Second the First Royal Yacht the HMY Mary in 1660, that started the fashion for yachting as a hobby rather than sailing as work in the UK..

Around that time, the Dutch were the premier shipbuilders (and maritime explorers) in the world.  In the next century  they were overtaken in shipbuilding technology by the British and French.

I did not know about the HMY Mary. Wikipedia has this to say:

HMY Mary was the first Royal Yacht of the Royal Navy. She was built in 1660 by the Dutch East India Company. Then she was purchased by the City of Amsterdam and given to King Charles II, on the restoration of the monarchy, as part of the Dutch Gift.

The dates made me interested. The first Anglo-Dutch war (between the Commonwealth of England and the Dutch Republic) concluded in 1654 and the second Anglo-Dutch war (between England and the Dutch Republic) would start in 1665, shortly after the Duke of York captured New Amsterdam in 1664.

Mr. Pedantic has reminded me that the UK did not exist in 1660. The acts of Union were orchestrated by Queen Anne in 1706 / 1707.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Mr. Pedantic has reminded me that the UK did not exist in 1660. The acts of Union were orchestrated by Queen Anne in 1706 / 1707.

Correct but King Charles II was in charge,  of England Scotland,  Wales,  and not in the UK, Ireland. 

It was just easier to say the UK. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Yes, white is the live feed to the lights from the relay switch with the red looped from the live feed to the coil. Purple is the neutral feed to the coil from the pushbuttons.  This is all because changeover switches aren't allowed over here so if you need more than 2 switches for a set up lights they use the latching relay arrangement.   Apparently newly wired house have the relays in the consumer unit on a din rail, not in an inaccessible place in the loft.  

Jamie

Well, obviously white is neutral. "Hot" should be black but I suppose that must the red one. Purple is a new one on me :)

OK, so you can press buttons at multiple locations to latch the relay to turn on the lights but how do you turn the bloomin things off?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Early start again tomorrow off Salmon fishing on the river Dee, seeing as the owners of the beat above me are staying at their gaff in Windsor, I might as well give it a go.

G'night all. (not actually going to bed just yet,but won't be far off once the gears loaded for a quiet-ish start)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

...snip... Catching up a little, congrats belatedly to Sharon Gwiwer, and I don't think anyone would ever begrudge a rant on here, or a cry for support - it is what makes this little corner of webworld so good.  I came here originally while recovering from some surgery, and was supported again when undergoing a couple more due to an accident.  Always supported. Always. ...snip...

I agree, this is like having a family with distant and scattered members to me.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

...snip... The might of John Deere with smite upon those guilty....

1038610984_DSCF9377(Small).JPG.cfde924d577b2dc1fbfd79b8410c9911.JPG

I wonder, my Hustler Raptor might object :yahoo_mini::yahoo_mini::jester::yahoo_mini::

IMG_20190503_094505.jpg.3980280ff08796e5b02028b443fa44f4.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. It was chuckinitdarn a little while ago, now drying out and no rain predicted for tomorrow. The second wheelbarrow from the first vendor (1/2) is out on the patio and the cardboard box is a bit soggy now, but I've nowhere else to put it. I expect I'll have another wheelbarrow delivered tomorrow, number 2/2 (second wheelbarrow from second vendor). Thats all for now, time to put the kettle on, be back later. 

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Query.

Has anyone ever made a small signal box diagram?  Maybe 6 inches long or so, just to refer to point and signal numbers?  I don't have the artistic skills to draw one freehand (or any artistic skills of that sort TBH), has anyone used a computer programme to make one?  Any hints?

• Friendly/supportive 13

10 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Has anyone ever made a small signal box diagram?  ...  Any hints?

My years of technical drawing in high school would encourage me to draw one freehand (well with a ruler, compasses and splines) - even if it ended up a little rustic.

If you have Microsoft Office tools, the drawing capabilities of PowerPoint are more than adequate for a signal box diagram. Most of these features also exist in Word, but I find them dreadfully awkward in that context. Since the page size for PowerPoint is essentially fixed (it can be set to different page sizes) you can get exactly the size diagram you need without scaling.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Moss and lichen on the roof are supposed to indicate that we don’t live in an area with air pollution.

The air must be very clean here in the Northwet.

DSCN4907.JPG.bc32c7da932625e8162dc96e8c0016bc.JPG

That bit is North facing. The other side has hardly any moss.

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Query.

Has anyone ever made a small signal box diagram?  Maybe 6 inches long or so, just to refer to point and signal numbers?  I don't have the artistic skills to draw one freehand (or any artistic skills of that sort TBH), has anyone used a computer programme to make one?  Any hints?

Without doing a little digging I'm not entirely sure what they look like but I can easily crank one out for you in CAD.

(I had to learn to draw with CAD software some years ago because the US patent office rejected my drawings :) )

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3