The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Rather surprised at the claims by Sainsbury's that everybody's going back to instore shopping but they must have the figures to support it.  Our local store seems positively deserted compared to pre pandemic levels of shoppers.  (Hardly any staff either now)  They've changed to mainly self service checkouts so the manned checkouts have reduced from 24 to 4 -6 depending on day of the week  The latter don't even open until 9.00 Monday to Thursday. 

Maybe why that's why the store is deserted - cr@p service?

• Like 1
  • Agree 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Remote shopping was tested during lockdown with Asda, Morrisons, Tesco and Sainsburys, the latter was by far the better, they don't seem to substitute so much, though the furthest away, delivery charges are cheaper, so we stick to them and pop in for odds 'n' sods from Mozzers or Tesco's as required.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 9

We buy meat from the farmer or on occasion a butcher, fruit and veg from the fruit and veg shop or farmers market, bread from the village cafe or the town bakers, non perishables from the supermarkets. During the summer fruit and veg comes from the garden, potatoes are delivered by the coal man..................(who is a farmer who also diversifies).

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Morning All!

I've been jabbed, all seems well at the moment.        The nurse queried me and said "I looked a bit young for it".  I then explained some of the medication I'm  on and my medical history and she said "Yes, that'll do it!".

I'm off for a run over to Woburn on the RD in a short while.  The sun is out, the sky is blue and there's a coffee with my name on it that will be waiting to be drunk.

On my return I'll be firing up the Myford again.   I've got a friends Smiths Chronometric Speedo to test and whilst I already had a gadget for running them up that I made some years ago it's a bit Heath Robinson so I thought I'd make a better job of it.   I've been turning up the drive shaft and flywheel, the next things to make are the bearing housing and a mounting plate for a little (model aircraft) brushless motor that does the work of the speedo cable.      I might go the whole hog and build a little Arduino controller for it or I might rely on an old servo tester and use my oscilloscope to determine true speed.   We'll see!

Right, I'm off now.

TTFN

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Missions "ongoing" - which has FINALLY included writing out a new info strip to go inside my SOS Talisman Bracelet; I checked the Passport Number written on the existing strip and discovered it was for the old Passport.....and the current Passport expires next year.....

Right, the Washing Machine is bleeping at Bear so it looks like I've got some "stuff" to hang out.

Bear gone.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good moaning from the cool Charente.  Hospital was visited yesterday and Beth has come through the op. But was in a lot of pain.  I had to get a tad assertive to sort that out but some extra pain relief did arrive.  The usual hospital problem arose.  Due to her overall condition she is already on a cocktail of painkillers and staff don't believe that she needs extra on top of that.  Hopefully things will improve.  

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

You have to be careful about analgesic cocktails as liver, kidneys and gut are all affected by such drugs and any existing known (or hitherto unknown) vulnerabilities in these organs could be amplified or affected.

Perhaps a better approach to pain management could be changing the doses of each of the individual drugs in the existing cocktail of analgesics rather than adding yet another on top of the existing mixture.

And to give a real life example of what can go wrong, my father died as a result of pain killers dispensed by a GP for gout.

The dose/type destroyed his kidneys and he was given 2 years to live, he managed four years (without dialysis treatment) and then succumbed.  It wasn't the only medicine he was on, he had all sorts due to TIAs, so probably the painkiller was the one extra thing his body did not want.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

I never stopped going to the shops even during lockdown.

I also shopped for the in laws who were forced to isolate so could not go out, which meant I did two shops in one go each visit - two trolleys I was known as.  I would shop on trolley using the phone app and the other on the conveyor belt so that I took up no more time than I had to at the till.

I like to look at the fruit, veg and meat I am buying and that's not going to change, we mainly buy fresh product but I can see the attraction of delivery if everything was pre-prepared or canned etc.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

We buy meat from the farmer or on occasion a butcher, fruit and veg from the fruit and veg shop or farmers market, bread from the village cafe or the town bakers, non perishables from the supermarkets. During the summer fruit and veg comes from the garden, potatoes are delivered by the coal man..................(who is a farmer who also diversifies).

We tend to buy meat, fish and some fruit and vegetables from market traders on a Wednesday and Saturday and bread, cakes and pastries as well as cheese from a local delicatessen. Milk is delivered in glass bottles to our doorstep three times a week. Other things are mainly bought from a supermarket but we don’t use delivery services because we prefer to see what we are buying, want to reduce the amount of single use plastic we use and to help preserve the existence of real shops.

Dave

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

…after a bacon butty and coffee in bed…

Dave

Is that a secret RAF code for naughty indoor shenanigans?

Like ‘Allo, ‘Allo’s “flying helmet and stick of celery”?

• Funny 18

24 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

We tend to buy meat, fish and some fruit and vegetables from market traders on a Wednesday and Saturday and bread, cakes and pastries as well as cheese from a local delicatessen. Milk is delivered in glass bottles to our doorstep three times a week. Other things are mainly bought from a supermarket but we don’t use delivery services because we prefer to see what we are buying, want to reduce the amount of single use plastic we use and to help preserve the existence of real shops.

Dave

I am aware of a dairy in Forfar that still delivers milk, but not seen one anywhere else in these parts.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I went to bed really late last night so only about 5 hours sleep, I'll make up for it later. As many of you are aware I shop at Tess Coes at Pitsea, the Asda Store is a lot nearer but it's smaller and the car park is even smaller and it costs to park there (Tess Coes is free). Also Tesco's produce, fruit and veg in particular keeps longer. There is a Sainsbury's but that is further away than Tesco's and doesn't stock as wide a variety. There is an Aldi in Pitsea but I've never been there so I can't comment.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Missions "ongoing" - which has FINALLY included writing out a new info strip to go inside my SOS Talisman Bracelet; I checked the Passport Number written on the existing strip and discovered it was for the old Passport.....and the current Passport expires next year.....

Right, the Washing Machine is bleeping at Bear so it looks like I've got some "stuff" to hang out.

Bear gone.

Remember to renew your passport in plenty of time.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

About shopping.  I do my main shops online using Asda and Morrisons which enables me to get most things I want and like.  I strated during lockdown when I was caring for Mum and was told to isolate as much as possible as she was very vulnerable.  

Afterwards I just continued.  The advantage is that I don't (usually) order anything more than I need, i.e. no impulse buys, so it isn't too expensive even with annual delivery charges.  It comes in very useful if foir any reason I cannot or do not want to drive.

I could visit the shops, in town there are 2 Asdas , big Asda and little Asda (little Asda is about the size of a Lidl), Morisons, Aldi, Lidl, Iceland and also Herons and Farmfoods.  The very local smaller shops are Teso Extra and a new Coop at the beach which will open this weekend.  Ther are also various corner type shops.  In town there is a butcher, baker and a greengrocer.  The nearest M&S is in the next town, all of 5 miles away.

Deliveries can come from Asda, Morrisons, Tesco, Sainsburys, Iceland and Waitrose - no Ocado though - they don't "do" the far north east of England.  

I prefer to pay at staffed checkouts but will use self service if I have very simple shopping with only a few items.  Otherwise something always seems to go wrong and I have to wait for an assistant.

If I need some thing extra I just go any of the local stores, all but one are within a less than 10 minute drive, big Asda takes a couple of minutes longer.

Edit.  All the local stores have ample free parking, Iceland and Herons are in the town car parks, the rest have their own.  The new Coop might be awkward for parking on days when the beach is very busy though the shops at the beach have their own car park.  All the parking is of course free, mainly for 72 hours or unlimited time, a couple are only 2 hours.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 17

17 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I am aware of a dairy in Forfar that still delivers milk, but not seen one anywhere else in these parts.

Daisy the cow wanders the lanes of the local village.....it's self service.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16