The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Has it got an attachment for a wheelbarrow? I might have a couple going spare. :jester:

Oh yes. It can pull the boat or the caravan around without any difficulty. Put then in a brown paper bag and send them over.

• Funny 18

• RMweb Premium

"Post breakfast" ERs

Or " just in time for a mugadecaf"

Neither trip off the tongue..:D

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I don't understand all this talk of name changing! I am up before midday so I have risen early which makes "Early Risers" the ideal name for this thread. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Query.

Has anyone ever made a small signal box diagram?  Maybe 6 inches long or so, just to refer to point and signal numbers?  I don't have the artistic skills to draw one freehand (or any artistic skills of that sort TBH), has anyone used a computer programme to make one?  Any hints?

DCC Concepts have files of the all the common symbols, freely downloadable in word or publisher files.  I created mine in publisher but I suspect open source software would work too.  They are easily scaleable and there as an aid to their mimic panel hardware.

Edit - links to download the files are here 

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/alpha-mimic-panel-controller-redgreen-leds/

Edited by BoD
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium

Hmm yes where did it go..

Half Mooring awl, Inner Temple Hare, 884/552

I fell asleep even earlier last night, but woke up first time a little later, so it was 4.5 + 2.25 hours sleep last night for me pretty good.

Our mowers a twin bladed ride on, you need that with the jungle we've got.. There's a mower with a knackered deck in the garage , I'll be turning that into a mini lorry for SWMBO to use round the garden.. the tipper bit weill be a... wheel barrow "bin".

I could really do with a digger though...

After hours of research on Vangs , priced up the costs..

Lever vang £120

Gnav £250,

L footed boom £ 900

My solution  <£20

What I'm worried about is the only normal way to do the vang is at a very shallow angle to the boom, therefore requiring huge tension to get the needed downward pull. 

So the vang route will be from the normal place at the bottom of the mast, up to as far back along the boom as it can go without hitting the boat, through a block, along the boom to the normal vang postion for that boom, through another block to the mast as low down as it can go without hitting the boat again. Therefore halving the load at each point on boat and boom.

the two points on both boom and mast will be about 2 ft apart.. Somewhere enroute, will be a block and tackle for tensioning the system.

I have most of the parts for this, hence the low cost, it's most in the boat box of "it will be useful some day"..

SWMBO pestered me about making the Plinth for Baron, that's the only excuse I need for tomorrow, the tools are next to the boat keel...:biggrin_mini2:

Time for more measurements tea break.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Yes I do, thanks.  I have tried previously with Word but wasn't impressed with what I achieved, I'll look at Powerpoint.  I usually try to push that to the back of my mind since I left corporate-land 6 years ago!  Death by Powerpoint was popular.

Have a word with 'Harlequin' (his RMweb screen name) - if you speak to him nicely he might do one for you.  He produces exquisite GWR & BR WR style box diagrams, real dog's danglies stuff. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Hmm yes where did it go..

Half Mooring awl, Inner Temple Hare, 884/552

I fell asleep even earlier last night, but woke up first time a little later, so it was 4.5 + 2.25 hours sleep last night for me pretty good.

Our mowers a twin bladed ride on, you need that with the jungle we've got.. There's a mower with a knackered deck in the garage , I'll be turning that into a mini lorry for SWMBO to use round the garden.. the tipper bit weill be a... wheel barrow "bin".

I could really do with a digger though...

I will probably  have a wheelbarrow "bin" available soon. (Its called a tray by the manufacturers ). You can have that if you wish. Its galvanised steel 60 litre (medium) size.  I will be keeping the wheel as a spare with the axle. The handles can still be attached to the tray but not to the rest of the frame. A competent metal worker could probably fix the fault anyway, The frame, which is galvanised steel tube, is shouldered with a couple of inches narrowed above the shoulder which the handle slides over. However the narrow part on one frame is about 2 mm shorter than the other. Whoever drilled the bolt holes in the frame instead of measuring from the shoulder measured from the top of the narrow part hence the hole being 2 mm out. If I had the necessary tools I would fix it by finding a short steel tube that fits tightly inside the narrow part of the frame then using the handle as a guide re-drill the hole in the correct place.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I will probably  have a wheelbarrow "bin" available soon. (Its called a tray by the manufacturers ). You can have that if you wish. Its galvanised steel 60 litre (medium) size.  I will be keeping the wheel as a spare with the axle. The handles can still be attached to the tray but not to the rest of the frame. A competent metal worker could probably fix the fault anyway, The frame, which is galvanised steel tube, is shouldered with a couple of inches narrowed above the shoulder which the handle slides over. However the narrow part on one frame is about 2 mm shorter than the other. Whoever drilled the bolt holes in the frame instead of measuring from the shoulder measured from the top of the narrow part hence the hole being 2 mm out. If I had the necessary tools I would fix it by finding a short steel tube that fits tightly inside the narrow part of the frame then using the handle as a guide re-drill the hole in the correct place.

Thanks for the offer But I fear the transport costs may make it prohibitive to the coast of norfolk..

• Friendly/supportive 14

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Has anyone ever made a small signal box diagram?  Maybe 6 inches long or so, just to refer to point and signal numbers?  I don't have the artistic skills to draw one freehand (or any artistic skills of that sort TBH), has anyone used a computer programme to make one?  Any hints?

Use shapes in Word? How I draw diagrams of many types.

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Thanks for the offer But I fear the transport costs may make it prohibitive to the coast of norfolk..

Not to worry, There's a few SEERS members who can build a live steam engine from scratch, they could probably do as I described in a few minutes. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning (just) all.

I hope Andy manages to fix the outage problems before tomorrow's big event - could be good fun and the 'm new releases' might be of particular interest to one or two of us if what I'm  sort of expecting is announced.  So fingers crossed that all aY's hard work isn't disrupted,  The shopping has been shopped and duly quarantined/disinfected etc - great team work on this with the Good Doctor who has only had to go into work on two days this week plus one study day at home.  In the meanwhile after feeling a (brief)  'funny sort of pain' yesterday the lad is visiting the cardio unit at the RBH for a check up in view of his previous history - all seemed ok after the one incidence yesterday but the GP very sensibly wanted it checked out by the Cardio Unit so off he has gone - fingers are crossed.

No other news although the sounds of my concrete mixer from next door would seem to indicate progress with the pizza oven.  Enjoy the rest of your day one and all and stay safe.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Breakfast was had around 12:10 after SWMBO had her cup of coffee reheated in the microwave as she fell asleep after it was served at 10am. Breakfast was bacon, egg and fried potato (the remains of the roast from last night).

• Like 17

On 02/07/2020 at 07:20, grandadbob said:

P.S. I'm thinking of organising a new union:- The Society Opposing Desecration Of Furry Friends or SODOFF for short!:yes:

Thinking of asking  Mr Polybear to act as President  and ChrisF as Secretary.

This from the bloke who put his dog in the oven! (Cant remember why!):jester:

Edited by laurenceb
  • Funny 18