The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

3 hours ago, pH said:

Relatives of my wife bought the Stewarts' house near their garage in Dumbuck, though not directly from them. There regularly were cars pulling up outside, with occupants looking up at the house. (If you know the road, not a particularly smart thing to do, in my opinion.) And one of the sons of the family met Jackie Stewart at a business function years later and they swapped childhood memories of the house and surroundings.

The garage was still there the last time I passed. Was the house on the main road too? You'd have to be nuts to stop there if it was.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, AndyID said:

The garage was still there the last time I passed. Was the house on the main road too? You'd have to be nuts to stop there if it was.

Having checked with my wife (I should have done that sooner, shouldn't I?), I have to modify slightly what I wrote in my previous post. The house her relatives owned was not the house Jackie Stewart was born in, but the one he and his wife moved to soon after they were married, a couple of houses away from his childhood home. 

Both houses are in a short row of four, between the exit from Dumbuck quarry and the garage (now Lindsay's), on the main road, the A82. And yes, you'd have to be nuts not to be keeping up with the traffic on that stretch of road.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 10

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning in this part of the world.  At the moment, the temperature is quite pleasant, but we are supposed to get 39°C by the middle of the week. Won't that be fun?!?

Time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Bit wet here but it should be ok for various cricket matches to be umpired this week.

Crust earning then eye appointment with Doctor Clumsy (he always has a problem using the machine which presses a steel needle against your eye to get accurate eye pressure readings.)

This afternoon, following the appointment, may involve more eyelid inspection.

Enjoy your day everyone!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

And there goes another few hours that I'll never get back, which at my age is an ever increasing percentage of the remainder. I was trying make the wireless connection between MrsID's Nikon and her Chromebook work. Nikon makes good cameras but their software applications are a festering pile of dog....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Well the rain has stopped, it got quite heavy just as we were going to bed last night, but thankfully the days exertions meant that it didn’t wake me. In fact I didn’t even hear the radio come on this morning!

Breakfast has now been consumed and I’ve vacated the kitchen so that Sheila has it to herself whilst she gets ready for her Zumba class. Once she’s gone a bit more pottering about in the cellar is the order of the day. Mainly organising stuff and packing away items that aren’t immediately required. I may even get an hour or so in the workshop if I’m lucky. 

Tonight the plan plan is to go swimming at Salford Quays, where I’m hoping that the water has warmed up a little from the last few weeks. 

Back later, enjoy the day. 

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a grey start to the week in North Swampshire but like most parts it's forecast to get hot and humid later. Off to take The Toe to see the practice nurse in a few minutes; had a letter from the podiatrists saying that they are very busy and it will be about four weeks before they contact me again to make an appointment! I suppose that they are hoping the problem will have gone away by the time I actually get to see them.

Not much else on note planned until Thursday when I'm off to Leatherhead to see No. 2 son and family with a day in London on Friday for a reunion pissup lunch and home on Saturday. In the meantime maybe if I'm very good some quality workshop time may be possible?

Here's hoping everyone out there has a good week whilst my thoughts and prayers are for those who can't. Chris - good luck with the medical appointment.

Dave

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I'm with Chris on the way the BBC throws the schedule out of the window whenever there is a major sports event on. What made it worse last night was when I switched the TV on for the news at 6:35 the final whistle had been blown on the match but we still had to endure another fifteen minutes of talking heads discussing every minute detail of the match several times over when most of those with any interest were on their way to the pub. On to other things, my friends daughter is going to Orsett for a brain scan so I will have to drop her off before the appointed time and she can give me a call when shes finished.  The reason I will not wait is the parking charges most of which goes into the pockets of the private company running the car parks on behalf of the local health authority. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Not Robbo Ormiston-Chant by chance?

Only if he looks like this...

Ormiston%20Hand%20Splicing%20Tool[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Somewhat grey out there but no rain as yet although we havea yellow thunderstorm warning.  According to the Met Office predictive radar it is going to absolutely chuck it down early tomorrow - I wonder what sort of seaweed drive their 'puting engines use?

Little else to report the lad bumped into one of my former colleagues (our Driver Manager from my final mob) yesterday at the GCR so no doubt we'll be in touch before long hearing how he is getting on trying to sort something on East Coast.  And the Good Doctor is scheduled to return home tomorrow so we'll no doubt gradually hear teh full details of her travels over the past month.  No other plans currently in mind.

Have a good day one and all;.

• Like 16